Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Seconded

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I've taken the view that ten rude posts with only one protesting voice may be acted upon; but one rude post followed by ten protesting voices tells a rather different story.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

When preparing the Proms threads, I took the BBC's own material as the basis, but without exception, removed the names of presenters, as this seemed to have no relevance whatever to the music.

Comment

• Rcartes
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Criticisms are preferable to 'attacks'. We have an unofficial rule that presenters' names don't appear in thread titles so I've amended I understood my thinking about it at one time ...
          Fair enough, I didn't know about the rule so thanks for the correction.

Comment

• Rcartes
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            May I recommend the author of the OP visit his GP surgery to get his hears washed out? I have listened to both the ante- and post- transmission announcement for the dreaded 'Gypsy Rondo' trio, and in neither case is the pronunciation "Haydun", but "Haydn".
            I haven't heard that particular rendition but if it's correct, she's cleaned up her act a bit.

Comment

• Rcartes
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              Very offensive post, in my opinion, and I think the poster should apologise
              It is not good enough to blot out the presenter's name in the title; the body of the post contains the name and the objectionable language.
              Oh, I didn't know there was censorship on this forum: I thought it was about people giving their views. Silly me. Objectionable language? You should hear what I really think...

Comment

• Rcartes
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                When Sarah first joined the presenters team a few years back, I joined in the general chorus of disapproval. But these days, with all that has happened in Radio 3, I tend to regard her as a muse holding aloft a beacon of enlightenment.

Music played is main thing.
                And this would be the same Sarah Walker who introduced an excerpt from Tristan (it was O sink hernieder)as "an aria by Wagner"? Worse, she credited the Tristan and Isolde but didn't, apparently, notice Brangane or credit her - worse still that Brangane was sung by a mezzo. You'd have thought someone who was supposedly musically educated enough to present a classical music programme would have done better than that.
                Last edited by Rcartes; 16-10-13, 17:28.

Comment

• Rcartes
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  YES it's wrong (unless you are in the pub with them !)
                  so don't be a dick and apologise
                  Sorry, but no. You're entitled to your view, but I am to mine, and I can't stand the woman. Yes, she's there to present the music, but far too much of her time at the mike involves telling us what she thinks of the music, and frankly, I couldn't give a flying forint for her view. Try listening to New Zealand Concert (you can get it online at http://tunein.com/radio/Radio-New-Ze...rt-926-s45474/) to see the difference between decent presenters and wholly self-absorbed ones; there you get the facts (the work, the players, the source if it's a live recording) and that's it.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                    • Nov 2010

Indeed, we are often regaled by SW (and inevitably by the swooning, reguritative KD who is a much worse offender) that such and such a performance is "magesterial", "wonderful", "classic" etc etc etc. which makes one believe that nothing that they present could be deemed in any way below par, second-rate or downright poor. It is pitifully in play with live performances in which the listener is told that the performance they have just heard is stunning or some such over-heated epithet.

Increasingly I am impatient with these people and that's why my R3 listening hours have declined to perhaps an hour or two a day ( from a time when it used to be 8 hours).
                    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Rcartes
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                      Having a bit ofage related deafness I prefer Petroc to present Breakfast IF I listen to a few moments in the morning.

Both Sara[h]'s seem to run words into each other and are difficult to follow.

However, the #1 was completely OTT and I think an apology is called for.
                      The more I think about this, and Little Sir (Madam?) Echo's support of it, the more extraordinary it seems. I'm supposed to apologise for having a view? To whom, exactly? The poster(s)? Sarah Walker? Why, for goodness' sake? I can't stand her presentational style, you apparently like it. Jolly dee for you, but I hope this response doesn't mean that posts that you and those like you, don't like, are to be censored or apologised for, I've misunderstood the point of this board.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
                        The more I think about this, and Little Sir (Madam?) Echo's support of it, the more extraordinary it seems. I'm supposed to apologise for having a view? To whom, exactly? The poster(s)? Sarah Walker? Why, for goodness' sake? I can't stand her presentational style, you apparently like it. Jolly dee for you, but I hope this response doesn't mean that posts that you and those like you, don't like, are to be censored or apologised for, I've misunderstood the point of this board.
                        You're not Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells, are you?
                        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Rcartes
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                          Certainly not.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                            I think the currency is a clue ?

Time for a dip in the Szechenyi ?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              I think the currency is a clue ?

Time for a dip in the Szechenyi ?
                              Aha! So that's what a 'forint' is! I just thought the poor chap couldn't spell.
                              It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
                                ...I've misunderstood the point of this board.
                                I think you probably have.

Comment

Working...
                                X