X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rcartes
    • Feb 2011

Presenters

I don't know if it's considered wrong to launch personal attacks on presenters, Sarah Walker in particular (though as far as I'm concerned any attack on that horrible simpering twit is justified) but this isn't a general personal attack, just a great groan of despair at the woman's inability to pronounce "Haydn". Can't someone get it into her head that his name wasn't "Haydun"? Grrrrr!
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
    I don't know if it's considered wrong to launch personal attacks on presenters, Sarah Walker in particular (though as far as I'm concerned any attack on that horrible simpering twit is justified) but this isn't a general personal attack, just a great groan of despair at the woman's inability to pronounce "Haydn". Can't someone get it into her head that his name wasn't "Haydun"? Grrrrr!
    Years back, I remember Kay Burley on the ITV Breakfast Show, making the same error.
    When her co-presenter corrected her, she replied "Well that's how we pronounce it where I come from."

Why do I enjoy classical music on SkyArts2?

Because there are no presenters!

HS

Comment

• Rcartes
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
      Why do I enjoy classical music on SkyArts2?

Because there are no presenters!

HS
      Agreed - except that the adverts are pretty intrusive: recently I was enjoying a Mahler symphony on Arts 2 and there was a damned advert after the first movement!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I don't know if it's considered wrong to launch personal attacks on presenters
        Criticisms are preferable to 'attacks'. We have an unofficial rule that presenters' names don't appear in thread titles so I've amended I understood my thinking about it at one time ...
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

May I recommend the author of the OP visit his GP surgery to get his hears washed out? I have listened to both the ante- and post- transmission announcement for the dreaded 'Gypsy Rondo' trio, and in neither case is the pronunciation "Haydun", but "Haydn".

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

I have never found anything objectionable in Sarah's presentation. I wish she would undertake more BaL's.

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

Very offensive post, in my opinion, and I think the poster should apologise
              It is not good enough to blot out the presenter's name in the title; the body of the post contains the name and the objectionable language.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I didn't hear the offending announcement, but I don't see that it's possible to pronounce dn without some intervening vowel, probably best represented as a schwa.

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

When Sarah first joined the presenters team a few years back, I joined in the general chorus of disapproval. But these days, with all that has happened in Radio 3, I tend to regard her as a muse holding aloft a beacon of enlightenment.

Music played is main thing.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    I have never found anything objectionable in Sarah's presentation. I wish she would undertake more BaL's.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Having a bit ofage related deafness I prefer Petroc to present Breakfast IF I listen to a few moments in the morning.

Both Sara[h]'s seem to run words into each other and are difficult to follow.

However, the #1 was completely OTT and I think an apology is called for.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        However, the #1 was completely OTT and I think an apology is called for.
                        Agreed.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

I'm sure it's very much 'water off a duck's back' for Sarah. It did prompt me to check out her website though, where I discovered that the link to her doctoral thesis was defunct. Have dropped her a line to let her know.

Comment

• Quarky
                            • Dec 2010

As someone who listens to a wide variety of musical genres, there seems to be an even wider variety of presenters, ranging from Petroc at one extreme to the presenters on R6M on Sunday afternoons at the other extreme.
                            However if stuck in one type of music, then I am likely to find the presenter of another type of music irritating, for the slightest vocal peculiarity.
                            But my conclusion is that an adverse reaction to a presenter is largely in the mind of the listener, and that if the listener is comfortable ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkM12arO-_4 ) and really wants to hear the music, then listener will brush aside any reaction against the presenter.
                            Last edited by Quarky; 16-10-13, 09:50.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

I don't know if it's considered wrong to launch personal attacks on presenters,
                              YES it's wrong (unless you are in the pub with them !)
                              so don't be a dick and apologise

Comment

Working...
                              X