Interesting comment on BBC from Steven Berkoff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

I"ve said this a thousand times, but if schools all did their bit people would know about these things, and not need to encounter them by accident on television.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

A Telegraph piece by Ivan Hewett http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...cal-music.html

He muses:

"These days it’s rarely an encounter with classical music at home. Schools might have been responsible at one time, but now classical music is carefully presented there in a “non-judgemental” way, as just one way of making music amongst many. And it’s not the prestige or high profile of classical music in culture in general. The days when a conductor like Toscanini or John Barbirolli could be a cultural luminary for the entire population, accessible to anyone with a radio, are long gone."
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I've derived a great deal of pleasure from Proms 2013, to date, but the 'edited revisions' for TV transmission have fostered an uneasy harbinger in my mind by several random incidents in recent weeks so please bear with me if I stumble nor' by nor' west as I attempt to articulate my thoughts.

Much impressed by a young pianist, Jan Lisiecki, PROM 10 (19 July), his instant close rapport with Orchestra of the Academy of Santa Cecilia, Rome/Antonio Pappano. His encore, provided a spine -tingling moment, Chopin's
        Nocturne 20, as his exquisite use of ppp tested the acoustics of the RAH, yet the R3 listener could sense that every note resonated in the hushed silence of the packed auditorium. You wait a long time for these moments. Cursed myself for not recording but had the consolation of a later TV repeat on BBC 4. Alas, not so as a BBC bureaucrat decided to schedule 'a revised repeat' which excluded this magical item. Several first performances have also disappeared but I read that some of these items will be linked in a forthcoming transmission of New Music later this month. I suspect that the ratings will tumble again as they did when Newsnight Review, BBC 2, was transferred on a monthly basis to BBC 4, at prime time. It all seems cack-handed and a glaringly obvious ploy to me but hope I'm wrong.

I've always been convinced that arts coverage, in recent years, has been under-sufferance at the Beeb remit and the harbinger I sense has been compounded by two external indicators I've noted in the past two weeks. (i) A TV item showing family group fragmentation in the living room as TV is displaced in a gathering whose attention fluctuates beteen the telly, the iPad or laptop. Some of these less substantial accessories also gradually creeping into the concert hall, I'm told. (ii) A new development which became rather sinister as I began to sense much wider implications, likely to be imitated and used elsewhere. Attracted by a Jan Lisiecki recital filmed at the Bristol Old Vic as part of a simultaneous cinema link-up and also scheduled for More4, TV, on Sat, 3 August. A 70 mins programme - well, 52 mins after using the pause button to exclude the commercial breaks - consisted of Chopin Etudes and Lisiecki attracted a young listening and appreciative audience. Here endeth the good news. Monochrome filming quite striking but, right from the start, the screen was also overlayed with laser strips, multiple split-screen shots of the pianist, even the grand piano lid was raised so that we could also see his reflection. But the LCD moment for me was an overlaid 'spider man' net image over his physique. A mix of sheer camp and downright vulgarity! Dismiss this as a passing phase, or was it a harbinger of things to come elsewhere? Has anyone noticed the tinkering in the BBC 4 Proms intros? An acceptable straight to camera commentary was replaced last Sunday in the Russian Prom (DSCH 11) with Tom Service presumably in a cute Russian interior setting? However, Jan Lisiecki did reward us, unexpectedly, with a repeat of his Chopin Nocturne from his RAH recital. And no intrusive graphic impositions. Lovely.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
          • Dec 2010

There's plenty of information here on tv programmes from the 1940s onwards and yes, there fairly frequent drama productions, recitals etc.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

BBC1 broadcast a magnificent 49 hours of Arts and Music coverage in 2012. That is ALL art forms, including shows about film.

The minimum they require themselves to show is being reduced to 40. IN A YEAR !!!!!

That, IMO is an utterly damning indictment of the BBC, the government, and the expectations that they have for our people.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Three or four years ago BBC Three claimed to have broadcast 54 hours of 'arts and new music'. Someone I know went through 6 months of Radio Times to see what this was. There was a programme about modern dance, a few hours on Glastonbury &c and that was all he could find. He wrote in and asked what programmes were included in the 54 hours and when were they broadcast and was told the information was exempt under the Freedom of Information Act ('journalism, art and literature'). I don't think I'd have accepted that as an answer
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                • Dec 2010

For those in nostalgic mood, a tribute to Joseph Cooper and 'Face the Music':

This is a VHS recording of the BBC tribute to Joseph Cooper along with a 1972 episode of Face The Music.Hope you enjoy it!

And now for something completely different!Many years ago there was a popular series BBC T/V panel game called 'Face The Music presented by Joseph Cooper wh...

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Three or four years ago BBC Three claimed to have broadcast 54 hours of 'arts and new music'. Someone I know went through 6 months of Radio Times to see what this was. There was a programme about modern dance, a few hours on Glastonbury &c and that was all he could find. He wrote in and asked what programmes were included in the 54 hours and when were they broadcast and was told the information was exempt under the Freedom of Information Act ('journalism, art and literature'). I don't think I'd have accepted that as an answer
                  I imagine not.

and quite right.
                  So are you saying that they were telling porkies, or that they don't think it is in our interests to know?
                  or couldn't you possibly comment?!
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    It's not my imagination - when BBC4 started I videod some wonderful opera, concerts and plays.

Where are they now in the same quantity, or is just the 'things were better then' syndrome ?
                    & when Channel 4 started they had saturday afternoon operas (usually from Verona, & probably available on video rather than being recorded by them, but still ...)

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
                      There's plenty of information here on tv programmes from the 1940s onwards and yes, there fairly frequent drama productions, recitals etc.

http://www.78rpm.co.uk/bbc.htm#1158
                      Rostropovich and Richter play Beethoven

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        So are you saying that they were telling porkies, or that they don't think it is in our interests to know?
                        or couldn't you possibly comment?!
                        No way of knowing whether the figure was accurate, but my feeling is that 'arts' would include drama such as Doctor Who and the Sarah Jane adventures.

The BBC takes the view that if you request information under the FOIA and it's exempt, they won't give it to you on principle.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          What is the point of boringly harping on about Eastenders? I can't comment because I don't watch it, but many people seem to enjoy it.
                          But you were talking almost exclusively about music; he was talking about plays.

Comment

Working...
                          X