Interesting comment on BBC from Steven Berkoff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James Wonnacott
    • Nov 2010

Interesting comment on BBC from Steven Berkoff.

I know many here aren't natural Telegraph readers but-
    The BBC is “decaying art” by trying to compete with “a lot of silly old tarts in costume” on ITV, actor Steven Berkoff has said as he criticised the salaries of corporation bosses.
    I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

"Last year, I was trying to watch the BBC on Saturday night," he said. "They had Strictly Come Dancing and Bruce Forsyth. And I watched almost with tears because I remembered when I was 17, 18 I used to see Hamlet and Death Of A Salesman on a Saturday night. That educated me."

Kevin Spacey said something similar a few years back (in rather more refined language ).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      "Last year, I was trying to watch the BBC on Saturday night," he said. "They had Strictly Come Dancing and Bruce Forsyth. And I watched almost with tears because I remembered when I was 17, 18 I used to see Hamlet and Death Of A Salesman on a Saturday night. That educated me."

Kevin Spacey said something similar a few years back (in rather more refined language ).
      Wow! Don't miss and hit the wall, Mr. Berkoff!

The comments attached are (at time of writing) 100% in agreement.

I know I've banged on about this now but MY introduction to classical music was blundering across 'Andre Previn's Music Night' as a 13 year old. (Martha Argerich playing Prokofiev's third piano concerto - what young adolescent male could resist!?)

Don't think it could happen now.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

The puzzling thing is that as the BBC expands - television and radio - it finds less and less airtime for anything that can't come under the heading of 'popular culture' - meaning anything which can command a significant audience. As 'popular culture' expands and fragments, so airtime is found for it.

BBC Arts and Entertainment news doesn't seem to have picked up the story yet - so well-spotted, James!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          The comments attached are (at time of writing) 100% in agreement...
          Though sometimes rather strange, for all that:

Just ask yourself:
          Who is controlling Hollywood, who is controlling the Media Corporations, pouring that intellectual rubbish into people's brains?

Only 6 Media Corporations control all the TV channels.
          Churning out nonsense after nonsense.

It tell you who:
          The Vatican and the Freemasons.
          They are responsible for this.
          It's part of their Illuminati "Grand Plan".

(When the article has Berkoff rallying against the BBC, do you think they really meant railing?

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

I know I've banged on about this now but MY introduction to classical music was blundering across 'Andre Previn's Music Night' as a 13 year old. (Martha Argerich playing Prokofiev's third piano concerto - what young adolescent male could resist!?)

Don't think it could happen now.
            There is a lot of truth in the complaints, but it would still be possible to 'blunder across' good music in one of the televised Proms. It's still reassuring to see the crowds in the RAH, even for serious music. I also think there was more rubbish in the past than we remember, though there were also more high quality programmes.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

The comments attached are (at time of writing) 100% in agreement.
              I could do without the 'lefty luvvies' cracks, though. I don't think I'd go much on the 'righties' taking over either: education in the arts is important for everyone, not just those who can afford an expensive school.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

I'm surprised that an actor would think television is a better place to see Hamlet and Death of a Salesman than the theatre
                the BBC has always done 'light entertainment' (particularly at primetime Saturday evening I would have thought)

he switches on BBC1 on a Saturday evening and is surprised not to get high culture - quite honestly where has he been for the past fifty years ?
                Last edited by mercia; 06-08-13, 10:15.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

The puzzling thing is that as the BBC expands - television and radio - it finds less and less airtime for anything that can't come under the heading of 'popular culture' - meaning anything which can command a significant audience. As 'popular culture' expands and fragments, so airtime is found for it...
                  Too true. It's a similar phenomenon to one well known about prisons. The more you build, the more people you send away. Most people think it works the other way round (ie: it's reactive) but history shows otherwise.

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

The puzzling thing is that as the BBC expands - television and radio - it finds less and less airtime for anything that can't come under the heading of 'popular culture' - meaning anything which can command a significant audience. As 'popular culture' expands and fragments, so airtime is found for it.
                    Yes, what an appalling paradox.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

It's not my imagination - when BBC4 started I videod some wonderful opera, concerts and plays.

Where are they now in the same quantity, or is just the 'things were better then' syndrome ?

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        It's not my imagination - when BBC4 started I video[e]d some wonderful opera, concerts and plays.

Where are they now in the same quantity, or is [this] just the 'things were better then' syndrome ?
                        Until last year, those Proms broadcast on BBC FOUR were repeated in the early hours of the following day. That service now appears only to apply to popular culture broadcasts, many of which were already repeats when broadcast in the evening. BBC 2 used to carry full Prom broadcasts too. Now we get a magazine programme, much of which is taken up with clips from Proms broadcast on BBC FOUR, plus some which were recorded in both sound and vision but not broadcast in full. Reith would be tanning their hides.

Comment

• pilamenon
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          the BBC has always done 'light entertainment' (particularly at primetime Saturday evening I would have thought)

he switches on BBC1 on a Saturday evening and is surprised not to get high culture - quite honestly where has he been for the past fifty years ?
                          Totally agree. And whilst he may have a few salient points, I found even the edited highlights of this rant against the world thoroughly dispiriting.

Comment

• johnb
                            • Mar 2007

It's not my imagination - when BBC4 started I videod some wonderful opera, concerts and plays.

Where are they now in the same quantity, or is just the 'things were better then' syndrome ?
                            When I first bought a Freeview box there was usually one proper classical concert or opera a month on BBC4. This was in addition to the Proms broadcasts.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Hard to believe but Channel 4 in the Eighties (the Isaacs era) ran a whole stream of quality classical music programmes including "Sinfonietta" with Paul Crossley. I remember an illuminating performance of Pierrot Lunaire conducted by David Atherton, IIRC. If one looks at their schedules now it's enough to make one weep.

Comment

Working...
                              X