X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

It also makes us, the 'converted' think about what we can do.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DavidP View Post
      We agree on one point, however - further discussion between us is indeed useless!
      And that was posted on Monday evening......
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        Quite!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Classic FM are sponsoring a concert by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra next month.

The programme will include

Wagner The Ride of the Valkyries
          Verdi The Triumphal March from Aida
          Holst Mars from The Planets
          Mussorgsky Music from Pictures at an Exhibition
          Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture

If this were part of their normal concert series I would be a bit worried. But as it's a free open-air concert and part of a new Festival which replaces the entirely Beatle-themed one we used to have, I'm not.

Comment

• Lancashire Lass
            • Feb 2012

Thanks for that, Jean, I'll tell my sister in Liverpool. We've been to the Phil a number of times but this sounds like a real treat, especially if the weather's still good.

As for Dr Who -- yes, I'm all for education and encouraging people who are unfamiliar with classical music by programming lighter pieces in the Proms. But it's a case of where you draw the line, and with Dr Who, the TV programme seems to have taken from over the music. Maybe next stop could be the Strictly Prom, no doubt with suitable celebs strutting their stuff to whoops and cheers?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
              If this were part of their normal concert series I would be a bit worried. But as it's a free open-air concert and part of a new Festival which replaces the entirely Beatle-themed one we used to have, I'm not.
              If Classic FM are sponsoring it, they're fulfilling the major part of their remit: trying make classical music 'accessible' to new audiences (would they be allowed to 'sponsor' a BBC Prom? They seem to have a different approach from the BBC).
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lancashire Lass View Post
                Thanks for that, Jean, I'll tell my sister in Liverpool. We've been to the Phil a number of times but this sounds like a real treat, especially if the weather's still good.

As for Dr Who -- yes, I'm all for education and encouraging people who are unfamiliar with classical music by programming lighter pieces in the Proms. But it's a case of where you draw the line, and with Dr Who, the TV programme seems to have taken from over the music. Maybe next stop could be the Strictly Prom, no doubt with suitable celebs strutting their stuff to whoops and cheers?
                OMG, be VERY careful what your nightmares are!

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

on another thread someone mentioned that the hall for Prom 5 was barely half-full. would any loss made on that and other proms be offset by the Dr Who and film music proms which (possibly) fill the hall ?
                  Last edited by mercia; 17-07-13, 12:37.

Comment

• Zucchini
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                    Just a warning; McAfee flags this site very red and says:
                    "Are you sure you want to go there?...When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

Up to you.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                      Just a warning; McAfee flags this site very red and says:
                      "Are you sure you want to go there?...When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

Up to you.
                      Flags what site?
                      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        on another thread someone mentioned that the hall for Prom 5 was barely half-full. would any loss made on that and other proms be offset by the Dr Who and film music proms which probably fill the hall ?
                        I presume so. Ticket sales/revenue is set against costs and Radio 3 picks up the tab for the shortfall.

Incidentally, guideline station budgets were first published for 2006/07 in the new service licences. The new licences, published this May (2014/15) show that Radio 3 has had an increase (my calculations, so E&OE) over that span of 8.9%. Radio 1 has had an increase of 34.9% and Radio 2 of 25.7%.

No wonder they 'can't afford' (their explanation) to commission new concert interval talks and have to put on sell-out comedy shows for families at the Proms.

Comment

• Zucchini
                          • Nov 2010

mr pee

link

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

in my obscure way I was tentatively implying that the Dr Who & film music proms (whilst we may loathe them) are essential to make up for losses elsewhere.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lancashire Lass View Post
                              I agree entirely.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Zucchini
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                The new licences, published this May (2014/15) show that Radio 3 has had an increase (my calculations, so E&OE) over that span of 8.9%. Radio 1 has had an increase of 34.9% and Radio 2 of 25.7%.

No wonder they 'can't afford' (their explanation) to commission new concert interval talks and have to put on sell-out comedy shows for families at the Proms.
                                Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
                                The budget adjustments for Radio 1 & 2 have no influence whatsoever on R3's interval fillers or Proms programming.

Comment

Working...
                                X