• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
    What is KD?
    We seem now to have strayed onto "there's a hole in my bucket" territory now; let's get back onto the topic (albeit not quite literally)...

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Just listening to her introduce the lunchtime concert - she does gabble a bit.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Perhaps she's being paid by the word...or earns a bonus if she gets the message out within a specified time.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
          Perhaps she's being paid by the word
          Not by the dirham, then?...

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

She probably get a bonus for every time she says wonderful, fantastic, marvellous, after each performance. Just as SR probably gets one for every ...erm, well etc

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
              She probably get a bonus for every time she says wonderful, fantastic, marvellous, after each performance. Just as SR probably gets one for every ...erm, well etc
              That's as maybe - anent which I wonder if it might be a useful idea for a producer to put together a programme of truly bad recorded performances for her to present, for the sole purposes of ascertaining whether those same knee-jerk encomia still emerge for her verbiage...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                We seem now to have strayed onto "there's a hole in my bucket" territory now; let's get back onto the topic (albeit not quite literally)...

I think the thread was more fun when it was off topic. I mean, how many different ways are there to say 'I don't think that Katie Derham is a very good presenter'?

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  I think the thread was more fun when it was off topic. I mean, how many different ways are there to say 'I don't think that Katie Derham is a very good presenter'?
                  Fair comment, but there's surely far more to it than that; whilst KD's shortcomings and inappropriate manner and matter of presentation may well prove to constitute some kind of catalyst here, the wider range of subjects under scrutiny here surely includes
                  (a) the kind of presentation style and standard that R3 listeners have a right to expect from each and every one of its presentrs
                  (b) the foreknowledge with which each such presenter comes armed
                  (c) the ways in which producer input and presenter input balance out
                  (d) the most appropriate balance between talking about somthing and the music being presented (which will by defenition and necessity vary according to whether the programme is of the CD Review / Private Passions / &c. kind which presumes discussion or whether it is something quite different.

While we focus attention on getting back to all that, here's a complete waste of thought to be going on with; just as someone once said that Olivia Newton-John sounded like the name of a firm of solicitors, it occurred to me that Clemency Burton-Hill sounds like a street address.

Ahem...

As you were...

Comment

• Quarky
                    • Dec 2010

There has been a report (to be confirmed) of a reliable sighting of the real Ms. Derham (alias Katie), at 3.30 this afternoon - introducing Bernstein Prelude, fugue and riffs for clarinet & jazz orchestra.

Come out Katie - we know you're in there!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                      There has been a report (to be confirmed) of a reliable sighting of the real Ms. Derham (alias Katie), at 3.30 this afternoon - introducing Bernstein Prelude, fugue and riffs for clarinet & jazz orchestra.

Come out Katie - we know you're in there!
                      Oh. I did hear part (sadly only part) of the preceding broadcast of the Haydn symphonic sandwich in which the bread was provided by the two chamber symphonies of Schönberg; wonderful pieces, all three! Oh to be able to write with such consummate skill and power as Schönberg in these works! This was certainly not introduced by Ms D and I'd switched off before I presume she came on to introduce the America works that followed these performances. Katie D on the chamber symphonies of Arnie S would simply have been too awful to contemplate. That said, listening to Ms D's more than enough for me; I do not especially wish to have a "sighting" of her as well and, since we're talking R3 here, that's surely unnecessary in any case, is it not?

Anyway, what I (and surely many other members here) really want to know (and have yet to be told) is when Katie Derham will be called as a witness at the Leveson inquiry.
                      Last edited by ahinton; 25-05-12, 21:46.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I'm going to suggest that this thread be given a rest from general discussion about one particular presenter. Next time there's a heinous factual or pronunciation error, feel free to share it. Otherwise batting on endlessly starts to give an impression of victimisation.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          I'm going to suggest that this thread be given a rest from general discussion about one particular presenter. Next time there's a heinous factual or pronunciation error, feel free to share it. Otherwise batting on endlessly starts to give an impression of victimisation.
                          Which presenter's that, then?(!). No, I have to say that this is an issue where the presentational "style" and content of "one particularly egregious and notorious specimen" (as Sorabji wrote in a quite different content) illustrates a far more wide-ranging problem among certain R3 presentes and producers. I do not wish to victimise anyone; it's a bigger problem than one that can be accounted for by vilifying just one presenter.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

It's still going on...?! This thread is like black body radiation, or the eternal return of the scherzo in the finale of Beethoven's 5th...

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              It's still going on...?!
                              Actually, I'd say that it was going off, meself...

This thread is like black body radiation
                              Ah, well - as long as it doesn't breach the law (of thermodynamics, that is...)

the eternal return of the scherzo in the finale of Beethoven's 5th...
                              ...as presented on R3 by - er - um...

You surely deserve due credit as the first woman to seek to draw some kind of comparison between black-body radiation and the final of a Beethoven symphony; those oppressive men of Liverpool must have quite abit of catching up to do...

Anyway, never mind all that rubbish; did you by chance hear the two Schönberg chamber symphonies separated by a Haydn symphony in yesterday afternoon's programme?
                              Last edited by ahinton; 26-05-12, 06:35.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                it's a bigger problem than one that can be accounted for by vilifying just one presenter.
                                Which is why I was asking people not to do it.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X