Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    I didn't know morale in the Navy was THAT low.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Do you like Barakilev's music?
      Isn't he the president of the - oh, never mind...

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        It really does demonstrate La Derham's innate lack of sympathy for classical music if she has reached her age without ever hearing the correct pronunciation of Till Eulenspiegel. After all, it's hardly an oeuvre oubliee. Same goes for all those new school of presenters who insist on "Show Pan".
        Agreed - except that I've even heard Elliott Carter pronounce Chopin in a way not so different to that - and this in interview some years ago in the context of his fulsome admiration of the Préludes...

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Agreed - except that I've even heard Elliott Carter pronounce Chopin in a way not so different to that - and this in interview some years ago in the context of his fulsome admiration of the Préludes...
          Are you sure you mean "fulsome", (offensively flattering or insincere)?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            It does seem to be a pronunciation which has lingered longer with our cousins from across the pond.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... I wonder how Fryderyk Franciszek himself pronounced his name. Probably in not quite the same way when he was in Warszawa as when he was in Nohant

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Are you sure you mean "fulsome", (offensively flattering or insincere)?
                No, not at all - very genuine indeed; the context was actually about Stravinsky's orchestrations for Dyaghilev of some Chopin pieces which were about to be perfomed in a Prom along with the concert's conductor Oliver Knussen's violin concerto (played by Zukerman) and Stravinsky's Agon, with Carter's Boston Concerto getting its first UK outing. OK (who was'nt actually at this pre-Prom talk) had apparently made some not very favourable comments about Chopin in general and Elliott C sprang immediately to Chopin's defence.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

I try to defend female professionals if I can but KD? She continues to demonstrate all the hallmarks of a celebrity announcer at their worst, including the excessive pay. Look Radio 3, she's just not very good at the job (polite understatement). Please replace her before she irritates us all over again at the Proms.

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    ...including the excessive pay.
                    Do you know how much she is paid for her services to Radio 3 - just Radio 3, nothing else? If you don't, you can't say it's excessive, can you?

Comment

• Word
                      • Jan 2011

Bullsh*t (in answer to the posts above Osborn's).

Sorry FF, I'm happy to retract that if it offends but these posts are beyond tedious.

One of the dregs of the site has registered another account to post the same old complaints around which we get the usual noise. (Though I do accept that it's clinically impossible for Panjandrum to post without trolling, and I have no doubt that KD is reasonably well paid, the figure he quotes is a miss-recollection of a sum invented by a journalist throwing together an article for some tabloid paper.)

Yes, I'm sure her musical knowledge is not encyclopaedic, though no doubt far greater than mine, and yes she has mispronounced the odd foreign name, though probably to a lesser degree than many other presenters, but much of the garbage spouted here disgraces this (usually) otherwise fine site.

I await the usual rhetoric... *sigh*

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Word View Post

Sorry FF, I'm happy to retract that if it offends but these posts are beyond tedious.

One of the dregs of the site has registered another account to post the same old complaints around which we get the usual noise. (Though I do accept that it's clinically impossible for Panjandrum to post without trolling, and I have no doubt that KD is reasonably well paid, the figure he quotes is a miss-recollection of a sum invented by a journalist throwing together an article for some tabloid paper.)

Yes, I'm sure her musical knowledge is not encyclopaedic, though no doubt far greater than mine, and yes she has mispronounced the odd foreign name, though probably to a lesser degree than many other presenters, but much of the garbage spouted here disgraces this (usually) otherwise fine site.

"Oh Word, words that you lack!" (Sorry St.Arnold...)

You are labouring to say what exactly? That KD "isn't so bad really", that shallow knowledge or mispronunciation of those awful foreigners' names doesn't matter on Radio 3? That when she tells us during a Prom that "Schoenberg was one of Brahms' heroes" we should smile indulgently and say, dear Katy, lovely girl you know, she means well...

If you are really sure that her knowledge is far greater than yours, try learning from US instead of admiring HER. Better still read a music guide or two.

Is that enough rhetoric? Self-serving? Elitist? Dismissive? It was meant to be.

Osborn, if you do manage to hack into KD's contractual details, DO let us know... if she's on, say, no more than average wage x 2, we can forgive her EVERYTHING...
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 23-05-12, 01:46.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

"Oh Word, words that you lack!" (Sorry St.Arnold...)

You are labouring to say what exactly? That KD "isn't so bad really", that shallow knowledge or mispronunciation of those awful foreigners' names doesn't matter on Radio 3? That when she tells us during a Prom that "Schoenberg was one of Brahms' heroes" we should smile indulgently and say, dear Katy, lovely girl you know, she means well...

If you are really sure that her knowledge is far greater than yours, try learning from US instead of admiring HER. Better still read a music guide or two.

Is that enough rhetoric? Self-serving? Elitist? Dismissive? It was meant to be.

Osborn, if you do manage to hack into KD's contractual details, DO let us know... if she's on, say, no more than average wage x 2, we can forgive her EVERYTHING...

Comment

• Panjandrum

Why exclude Osborn. He/she does a fine line in bull from what I have read.

One of the dregs of the site has registered another account to post the same old complaints around which we get the usual noise. (Though I do accept that it's clinically impossible for Panjandrum to post without trolling,
                            Perhaps you could tell me where I have overstepped the line. AFAIAC, I have just commented on fact. Katie Derham is useless. OK? If anyone is a troll it is you, defending the indefensible. Given that you are unwilling or unable to post on any other subject, your motivation is increasingly suspect.

I'm afraid you're hoist on your own petard here. That's her job, dear. Why should the BBC be employing rank (in both senses) amateurs, when there are far finer broadcasters who have been sidelined for her? She was brought in to bring in a new audience. that has spectacularly failed as the latest ratings prove demonstrably.

Comment

• Word
                              • Jan 2011

Oh dear, Panjandrum, descending to personal insults - nice.

If you are really sure that her knowledge is far greater than yours, try learning from US
                              There are many exceedingly knowledgeable people on this site from whom I have learnt a great deal but there's also some appalling baggage.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                                • Nov 2010

The 'KD problem' is sadly indicitive of R3 and also partly of the BBC's current obsession with the 'cult of celebrity', people like KD shouldn't really be thrust into these positions, it doesn't do anything to enhance either the station or the celebrity in question's standing. Her knowledge of classical music seems very shaky and it is made worse in that she is supported by a pretty awful script writing/advisory team whose knowledge is as shaky as her's. The number of errors creeping in thoughout the station in recent years is alarming and it is quite clear that many of the background research team have little interest in the job they are supposed to be doing professionally. The website situation is appalling, playlists half completed or doubled, or as yesterday somebody was clearly supposed to update Monday's 'Inessential classics' but couldn't be bothered and left it without a list altogether overnight. The new updates are horrendous, and the presentation cluttered and unhelpful. The presenter is often listed first now on programmes as if they are more important than the composer and performers. Lazy programming, and the obsession with 'bleeding chunks' etc etc etc.

There are still of course some areas and programmes that have managed to maintain their standing, but for how long?

R3 needs the folllowing improvements:

replace the controller
                                remove certain presenters
                                get rid of the current of the majority of the current research/script writing staff and replace them with those with knowledge and professional integrity
                                replace the website designers and those who update it
                                overhaul the current programming policy.

If not I fear the future of the station is as shaky as KD's musical knowledge!

Comment

Working...
                                X