Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    But FF, doesn't your last point about "name and shame" run the risk of much you-know-who and you-know-who-I-mean etc.?
    I took it to mean that the name shouldn't appear in the thread title, for all idle passers-by to see. Not that it couldn't appear in the thread texts. Clarification, ff?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      I took it to mean that the name shouldn't appear in the thread title, for all idle passers-by to see. Not that it couldn't appear in the thread texts. Clarification, ff?
      Yes, that's what I meant. Draw attention to the point of criticism in the title, not to the presenter.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        [....] One proposed change: I’m not keen on a Name and Shame approach, so could people not start purely critical threads containing the name of a presenter: concentrate on the point of criticism. Otherwise some threads attract more attention than they deserve. I propose to change this thread title when people have had a chance to come back and comment.
        I agree with Suffolkcoastal's point that KD's appearance on the station is a symptom of R3's malaise. I feel uncomfortable with the title of this thread and agree that it should be changed to something less ad hominem (please excuse pre-feminist sexist Latin ). I personally dislike KD's style (so I switch her off), but I don't consider that my personal tastes give me the right to publicly insult her. So I think specific criticism - e.g. of pronunciation and information gaffes, as some have pointed out - is fair.

I also agree with those who claim that the attempt to popularise the station's style is not only alienating friends of the station but also evidently (and evidentially) failing to increase its reach.

While I also have fond memories of Tom Crowe I think it would be gratifying and generous if forum members would hand the odd bouquet to the current presenters they think do a good job.

So to John Shea, Catherine Bott, Susan Sharpe, Donald Macleod, Andrew McGregor and Jonathan Swain - just for starters.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

If the BBC weren't so obsessed with the promotion of certain presenters, there would probably fewer discussions centring on the said presenters - or at least some of them. As KD is apparently 'The Face Of The Proms', I fail to see how a certain degree of personalized comment can be avoided when discussing her performance.
          I, too, admire some of the current presenters, including John Shea, Donald Macleod and Jonathan Swain.

Comment

• Extended Play

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

While I also have fond memories of Tom Crowe I think it would be gratifying and generous if forum members would hand the odd bouquet to the current presenters they think do a good job.

So to John Shea, Catherine Bott, Susan Sharpe, Donald Macleod, Andrew McGregor and Jonathan Swain - just for starters.
            I am more than happy to do so, and to the names above I would add Louise Fryer and Jill Anderson (the latter in a more formal announcer role). I would also hasten to include Rob Cowan: "Essential Classics" isn't to my taste, but I do think he has that precious quality of being able to communicate his knowledge and enthusiasm directly to the listener.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Extended Play View Post
              I am more than happy to do so, and to the names above I would add Louise Fryer and Jill Anderson (the latter in a more formal announcer role). I would also hasten to include Rob Cowan: "Essential Classics" isn't to my taste, but I do think he has that precious quality of being able to communicate his knowledge and enthusiasm directly to the listener.
              Completely agreed. Louise Fryer's introductions to the baroque concert currently being broadcast are exemplary. She's an absolute pro - I recall a late-night prom which she introduced, coming out on to the stage and addressing the hall without a single note or autocue, and delivering a perfectly judged, engaging presentation of what was to follow.

And I can't wait for Rob C to be released from the purgatory of brain-teasers and celeb interviews....
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

Penny Gore, Louise Frye, Fiona Tolkington, Susan Sharp, and Sara MP when she is freed from the play leader role on Breakfast. Similarly, Sarah Walker seems to be wasted on Essential Classics. Ian Skelly and other male presenters who have been mentioned. And of course, Lucie Skeaping and Catherine Bott.

It does look as if KD is an odd one out.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                  Penny Gore, Louise Frye, Fiona Tolkington, Susan Sharp, and Sara MP when she is freed from the play leader role on Breakfast. Similarly, Sarah Walker seems to be wasted on Essential Classics. Ian Skelly and other male presenters who have been mentioned. And of course, Lucie Skeaping and Catherine Bott.

It does look as if KD is an odd one out.
                  Doversoul and others above that's it - in a nutshell.

Comment

• Extended Play

Maybe the picture that's emerging here is that there's still a lot to celebrate about Radio 3!

Comment

• Word
                      • Jan 2011

Doversoul, it's good to see that you show as much respect for French Frank as you do for Katie Derham.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        Doversoul and others above that's it - in a nutshell.
                        And have you noticed that apart from the egregious Rafferty and the Saturday AMcG, R3 seems to be more or less a male-free zone for huge stretches of the week?

Comment

• Wallace

But even the above named, I feel, are over promoted. R3 should be about the music, the composers and the performers. When I see an advertisement for a concert in our local city hall I do not expect it to be accompanied by a picture of the hall manger or a member of the box office staff. Why then are so many of the programme listings on the Radio 3 website accompanied by pictures of the presenters? Why does the listing for TTN have to feature a picture of John Shea, excellent presenter though he is? A picture of a composer or a performer would be more appropriate.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                            I think it's obvious that Katie Derham tries hard to present as if she were talking to that one individual. Trouble is that other person, in her mind, is a half witted musical illiterate with a mental age of 7.
                            She's got you in one there, Panyan - quite remarkable

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              And have you noticed that apart from the egregious Rafferty and the Saturday AMcG, R3 seems to be more or less a male-free zone for huge stretches of the week?
                              Oh come on, Draco, you men all oppressed us & suppressed us for centuries, I'm sure you can spare us a few hours on a barely-listened-to radio station in 2012...

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                She's got you in one there, Panyan - quite remarkable
                                Remembering Pee's excesses, I'll make do with a single !

I have to say that this is becoming the most outrageously enjoyable thread I've ever had the pleasure of sharing!
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-05-12, 00:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X