The 'oh no not another thread' thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3rd Viennese School

Interview extract from last year’s Proms.

KD. Now we are going to hear the most famous tune in all classical music. Dvorak New World Symphony.
    I’m here with the Cor Anglais player. So what’s it like to play this famous tune, you know the one, from the Hovis advert, you know, the Hovis tune.

CA. Yeah it’s good.

KD. And, if you think about it, this symphony would collapse if it wasn’t for that most famous tune in the world , the Hovis one, etc and so on.

(3VS Disclaimer. The last sentence in this interview may not necessarily have been said at all.)

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I cut her plenty of slack to start with but this word swallowing is getting worse. I really can't hear some of the names she reads out. The lunchtime concert the other day came from somewhere called Slooks.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post

KD. Now we are going to hear the most famous tune in all classical music. Dvorak New World Symphony.
        I’m here with the Cor Anglais player. So what’s it like to play this famous tune, you know the one, from the Hovis advert, you know, the Hovis tune.

CA. Yeah it’s good.

KD. And, if you think about it, this symphony would collapse if it wasn’t for that most famous tune in the world , the Hovis one, etc and so on.

(3VS Disclaimer. The last sentence in this interview may not necessarily have been said at all.)

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Word
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

CA. Yeah it’s good.

Though, if it were our intention to be accurate, it would be fair to say that none of the sentences had been said.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

The first sentence was!

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

The first sentence was!
              Just maybe Katie is being done an injustice. May be her intention was to put herself in the position of listeners with just a passing interest in classical music, to whom that thought might arise when listening to the work.

If the horn player had answered for example " I'm just an honest musician engaged in my profession. I just play the rows of notes on the paper in front of me, and that is the sound which comes out" , then the listeners might have gained an insight into the piece, from the musician's viewpoint.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                • Nov 2010

You will all be delighted to know that the Mighty Handful of Russian Composers has a new addition according to Katie Dereham which she announced this afternoon.

Glazuonov.

A little learning is a dangerous thing...
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

She described Mozart as 'smug' on the basis of some comment he made about his concerto K414.
                  Pot - kettle - black?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                    She described Mozart as 'smug' on the basis of some comment he made about his concerto K414.
                    Pot - kettle - black?
                    No, Pauline Black would be an ideal replacement, she's... Special

Comment

• JFLL
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      I cut her plenty of slack to start with but this word swallowing is getting worse. I really can't hear some of the names she reads out. The lunchtime concert the other day came from somewhere called Slooks.
                      I very much agree about the 'word-swallowing' -- we refer to her as Hedda (for Hedda Gabbler) in our house. Is this because being au fait with foreign names is somehow now too elitist, so she's trying to get them over with as soon as possible, in case the new target audience is alienated? It's not as though she's uneducated, dammit..

Comment

• Frances_iom
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                        I ... It's not as though she's uneducated, dammit..
                        merely in the wrong job on an inappropriate channel for her style of delivery.

Comment

• Word
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                          merely in the wrong job on an inappropriate channel for her style of delivery.
                          That sums up the last two years of yours and BoD's posts regarding Katie - you didn't think that she should have been given a job on Radio 3 so have been making critical posts ever since.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Word View Post
                            That sums up the last two years of yours and BoD's posts regarding Katie - you didn't think that she should have been given a job on Radio 3 so have been making critical posts ever since...
                            I came to that conclusion - not having had a TV I was unaware of her background and had no preconceptions - however I now find her style totally offputting - unlike SR where total avoidance generally means missing little of any significance I do find my afternoons usually wrecked and usually land up listening to CDs when she is on duty. Possibly age has something to do with it not having been brought up with commercial radio.

Comment

• Rosie55
                              • Oct 2011

Call me biased to 2 musicians I admire, but I thought soprano Claire Booth and her pianist Andrew Matthews-Owen spoke clearly, with genuine and real knowledge on the Hear and Now the other week containing their Southbank concert of Matthews, Harvey, Woolrich and Hoddinott et al
                              More please!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                No, Pauline Black would be an ideal replacement, she's... Special
                                Pauline Black is how the gabbler would pronounce Pot-kettle-black!

Comment

Working...
                                X