Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    But as Dr Johnson said : - "You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables."

Comment

• Word
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Personally, I think Katy Derham is fine.
      Anyone who thinks otherwise should be brave enough to write to her at the BBC, giving your full name and address, telling her openly how you think you would do the presentation better.
      But as Dr Johnson said : - "You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables."
      But, if Samuel Johnson was sufficiently wise to be worth quoting, there can be no chance that he would be anything other than happy with Katie's presentation.

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
      This thread should be renamed 'The Eternal Katie Derham Debate (In a New Place)'

I know I'm going to regret saying this but… I think people are rather more sensible on this board than was sometimes the case on the old BBC boards. There's less of the feeling that some posters are trying to perform for an audience.
      Last edited by Word; 13-02-11, 21:50. Reason: typo

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Is it not "plumb" in the mouth, as in old time rich folks' false teeth set in plumbum? I seem to recall that George Wahington's famous false teeth were so set.
        I have no doubt you are historically correct Bryn, but it seems I'm not the only one confused:

A Plum in your Mouth: Why the Way We Talk Speaks Volumes About Us
        Rory Bremner (Foreword), Andrew Taylor
        Andrew Taylor (Author)

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
          Well, I caught a fair proportion of this morning's offerings (Sunday 13th) and there was a fair few of the same old offerings trotted out: Dvorak's Carnival Overture and Ravel's Paino Concerto (whenever I hear the words "and now for a piece by Ravel inspired by jazz" I know exactly what's coming).
          And has anyone noticed how Ms.Derham parades her music credentials so avidly: "I was at a friend's house last night and we were enetertained by a FABULOUS guitarist..." ("Fabulous" is one of her favourite epithets - the Ravel was a "fabulous piece" this morning)

Sorry, but I still find her presentational style teeth-gratingly pretentious and the foreign names pronounced with unnecessary over emphasis. There was a short period when I thought she had softened this particular trait but we seem to have reverted to the old ways. I am sure I shall be castigated by Eudaimonia for my less than constructive criticism but there we are, so be it.
          Have to say I agree with you 100%. It's her presentation style and ever so subtle pause before an emphasised foreign word. I much prefer the more natural style of many of her colleagues. The least said about the actual words she uses, the better.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
            Our little catfight dragged on for an embarrassing number of emails
            No change there then

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

No. Katie’s alright. I like Katie.
              The only thing she’s ever done to me was Hovising the Dvorak Symphony no.9.

All forgiven now!

3VS

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                The only thing she’s ever done to me was Hovising the Dvorak Symphony no.9.
                I presume you mean that KD introduced Dvořák's Symphony No 9 in E minor as that "theme tune from the old Hovis advert".

Says it all about Radio 3 these days. Still if it gets the plebs into classical music...
                Last edited by Guest; 09-03-11, 15:08.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

'Hovising' is quite apt, as some of us are getting browned off at Radio 3's insistence on offering us slices of music rather than whole loaves.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

Extra thinly sliced and very stale at Breakfast with extra stale slices vailable at 'Extended Breakfast' and just a few crumbs for 'In Tune'. There is a Thick Sliced Farmhouse Loaf available for consumption during the early hours but those who partake may now find some of the slices have gone rather stale too. For those after a more nourishing loaf, this may be available around midday on on some weekdays amd occasionally during weekday afternoons and evenings.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      Extra thinly sliced and very stale at Breakfast with extra stale slices vailable at 'Extended Breakfast' and just a few crumbs for 'In Tune'. There is a Thick Sliced Farmhouse Loaf available for consumption during the early hours but those who partake may now find some of the slices have gone rather stale too. For those after a more nourishing loaf, this may be available around midday on on some weekdays amd occasionally during weekday afternoons and evenings.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                        I presume you mean that KD introduced Dvořák's Symphony No 9 in E minor as that "theme tune from the old Hovis advert".
                        Did she really say that? Oh dear. That means the BBC has been doing accidental advertising as well as promoting ITV and dumbing down.

However, I like KD too.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I suppose the thinking is that if you engage popular celebrities a majority will like them
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>I like KD too

How about KD Lang Lang ?

There's a thought ...

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I suppose the thinking is that if you engage popular celebrities a majority will like them
                              Once again, I side with the Pharisee of Luke 18: v 11 - "God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are."

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>> ... I am not as other men are

Too little information !

Comment

Working...
                                X