X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

The 'oh no not another thread' thread

Congratulations to the entertaining playlist selected this morning by the delectable Ms. Derham. I must admit to being bored with Martin Handley's very conservative and Germanic selections.

But whence the (virtual) plum in mouth? That is not the Katie Derham, news presenter, of old. Plums are for fruit bowls, puddings, and as I have recently discovered, crosswords.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Is it not "plumb" in the mouth, as in old time rich folks' false teeth set in plumbum? I seem to recall that George Wahington's famous false teeth were so set.

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Is it not "plumb" in the mouth, as in old time rich folks' false teeth set in plumbum? I seem to recall that George Wahington's famous false teeth were so set.
      Yes, I've seen that too -- but the trouble is, not many people ever have! So you get general references to "plummy" accents, and for ages Australians have been referring to australianised Poms as having "spat out the plum".

Comment

• Eudaimonia

Yes, it was very well done. I switched on the I-player to see what you were talking about, and ended up listening to the whole programme. I'm not sure what you're complaining about, though, as as she sounded perfectly fine to me. Oh well, some people seem doomed to catch flak coming and going...nothing new.

Did you know that Washington's dentures weren't wood at all, but made of gold and hippopotamus ivory? I once went to the National Dental Museum on a lark and was quite surprised to see them in person:

Last edited by Guest; 09-03-11, 17:39.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
          I once I went to the National Dental Museum on a lark
          Are you sure it wasn't a great bustard? Or perhaps you don't weigh that much......

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
            • Nov 2010

Well, I caught a fair proportion of this morning's offerings (Sunday 13th) and there was a fair few of the same old offerings trotted out: Dvorak's Carnival Overture and Ravel's Paino Concerto (whenever I hear the words "and now for a piece by Ravel inspired by jazz" I know exactly what's coming).
            And has anyone noticed how Ms.Derham parades her music credentials so avidly: "I was at a friend's house last night and we were enetertained by a FABULOUS guitarist..." ("Fabulous" is one of her favourite epithets - the Ravel was a "fabulous piece" this morning)

Sorry, but I still find her presentational style teeth-gratingly pretentious and the foreign names pronounced with unnecessary over emphasis. There was a short period when I thought she had softened this particular trait but we seem to have reverted to the old ways. I am sure I shall be castigated by Eudaimonia for my less than constructive criticism but there we are, so be it.
            O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

The way she put it I wasn't 100% sure if she meant the guitarist was there in person. Actually Morgan Szymanski is rather good - I heard him in a tiny country church on the Pembrokeshire coast as part of the St David's Festival. Arriving late I was seated in the choir behind him, but he graciously played part of his programme in our direction, as it were.

Comment

• Word
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                And has anyone noticed how Ms.Derham parades her music credentials so avidly
                No, because I don't think she does.

Nor would I take issue with her pronunciation of foreign names, which to me represents a good balance of making every effort without straying into the realms of exaggerated foreign accents.

(She was a lucky thing, though, to have had the pleasure of listening to Morgan Szymanski play at a friend's house.)

I've enjoyed listening to the Breakfast programme this weekend; personally I preferred today's music selection to Saturday's, but that may be because yesterday it didn't have my full attention.

Comment

• mikerotheatrenestr0y

If lead pipes [in softwater areas, chalk deposits prevent this happening where the water's hard] can produce lead poisoning in those who drink the water, then the peculiar behaviour of rich people in the past with false teeth has, perhaps, another explanation than that they were all self-satisfied b*stards! [It says nothing about the present day, of course.]

Comment

• Eudaimonia

I am sure I shall be castigated by Eudaimonia for my less than constructive criticism but there we are, so be it.
                    Actually, I just popped by to talk about the hippopotamus ivory. I was trying to have a little empathy: I pictured some moth-eaten-cardigan-wearing fellow with wild mane and nose hair aquiver, shaking his fist at the screen, yelling "Blast it! Why can't we ever have a good whinge about Katie without that damned woman showing up and spoiling the fun?!" I was feeling charitable and thought I'd sit this one out.

Sorry, but I still find her presentational style teeth-gratingly pretentious
                    Really? The main thing I've found annoying is that she sometimes talks down to the audience with a fake-chumminess reminiscent of someone reading a childrens' book to a bunch of kindergartners. Not much of that on evidence yesterday...just a hint at the very end.

the foreign names pronounced with unnecessary over emphasis
                    Well heaven forbid she pronounce anything less than perfectly, or else she'd be crucified by the Pronunciation Watch Brigade. Curious, do you people actually write the station about it, or do you just hang out here and commiserate with each other?

Oh well, sorry--carry on...
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-03-11, 17:39.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Personally, I think Katy Derham is fine.
                      Anyone who thinks otherwise should be brave enough to write to her at the BBC, giving your full name and address, telling her openly how you think you would do the presentation better.

Comment

• Eudaimonia

Anyone who thinks otherwise should be brave enough to write to her at the BBC, giving your full name and address, telling her openly how you think you would do the presentation better.
                        Actually, the only time I made an open complaint to the media was years ago, when a star female columnist at a financial news outlet jeeringly referred to a certain economist as the "Cheeto Bandito", since he often had greasy orange Cheeto dust on his french cuffs when she interviewed him.

For some reason, this really outraged me and I wrote the most bitchy, verbally abusive PMS-laden letter ever about how grossly unprofessional and outrageous it was for her to mention this, etc. I just wanted to get it out of my system-- but she actually took the trouble to write me a long, hostile, bitchy letter back! Our little catfight dragged on for an embarrassing number of emails--and it was only when I threatened to send the entire exchange to the economist in question that she backed down and apologised.

So that's the story of how I learned to keep my heated opinions to myself.

Comment

• maestro267
                          • Nov 2010

This thread should be renamed 'The Eternal Katie Derham Debate (In a New Place)'

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

hear! hear! - could this be extended to all criticism levelled at all presenters of all Radio 3 programmes? "Put up or shut up" as John Major once famously said

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Personally, I think Katy Derham is fine.
                              But as Dr Johnson said : - "You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables."

Comment

Working...
                              X