X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    I'm sure it's true that the news can be bad for general well-being. But not being politically aware can be much worse in the long run, allowing corrupt politicians to do exactly as they please.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

not so sure S_A, when did our awareness that they were two timing gangsters ever stop them misbehaving?
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        I'm sure it's true that the news can be bad for general well-being. But not being politically aware can be much worse in the long run, allowing corrupt politicians to do exactly as they please.
        These last few posts have struck a chord with me.
        I don't read newspapers or watch news on TV and haven't done so for a long time.

I suffered from depression for many years.
        1997 was a particularly bad year for me,my father having died in the January.
        Up to that time I was avid reader of the press,watcher of news and very interested in politics.
        I was seriously ill with a bad bout of depression,didn't work for around 6 months,had some really dark thoughts and consequently had sessions with a psychiatrist.
        One day we had a conversation about news stories of the time.
        I told him that I was getting anxious about a certain story (can't even remember what it was now).
        He said he knew nothing about it.
        I told him it had been all over the papers and TV.
        He said he never watched TV or read newspapers.
        When I asked him how he knew what was going on in the world,he replied that he didn't.
        Apparently he also had no interest in politics,never voted etc,etc.
        So from that moment on my life changed.

I very rarely get depressed nowadays due to being quite insular and taking regular doses of Vaughan Williams.
        Obviously it's impossible to avoid news especially on the radio but I just treat them as background noise,in one ear,out the other.
        If not being inclined to join in political debate or discussions on the issues of the day are the price of my sanity(and that of those close to me)this is a price I'm very happy to pay.

The only thing that gets on my nerves these days is the state of my beloved Radio 3.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

We've been changed into a race of news junkies who do think 'The News' matters - in the sense that we MUST know what is in The News, what are the current News Stories. We must all be told everything so that those who need to know something will know it.

We need individual protective filters to keep out what we don't want to know and don't need to know.

The only thing that gets on my nerves these days is the state of my beloved Radio 3.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

I stopped reading newspapers about 5 years ago more in exasperation at the shoddy state of journalism than any great desire to avoid the news.

Nowadays I tend to take the same approach as Teamsaint in message 14. Occasional viewings of BBC Breakfast and Channel 4 News would appear to show an unhealthy obsession with child sex abuse, bogus 'terrorism' and the USA.

The danger is in being overwhelmed with news on matters that we are helpless to alter so the only option is to switch off from it and deal with our own issues. 24 hour news channels have much to answer for.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              I don't read newspapers or watch news on TV and haven't done so for a long time.

Up to that time I was avid reader of the press,watcher of news and very interested in politics.
              I was seriously ill with a bad bout of depression,didn't work for around 6 months,had some really dark thoughts and consequently had sessions with a psychiatrist.
              I told him that I was getting anxious about a certain story (can't even remember what it was now).
              When I asked him how he knew what was going on in the world,he replied that he didn't.

I very rarely get depressed nowadays due to being quite insular and taking regular doses of Vaughan Williams.
              Obviously it's impossible to avoid news especially on the radio but I just treat them as background noise,in one ear,out the other.
              If not being inclined to join in political debate or discussions on the issues of the day are the price of my sanity(and that of those close to me)this is a price I'm very happy to pay.

An amazing and totally brilliant posting. It has resonance... and what is more, is really uplifting. If only it could be bottled!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                We've been changed into a race of news junkies who do think 'The News' matters - in the sense that we MUST know what is in The News, what are the current News Stories. We must all be told everything so that those who need to know something will know it.

We need individual protective filters to keep out what we don't want to know and don't need to know.

I cannot understand the reason for the existence of BBC News 24. I don't watch it at home, but am exposed to it from time to time in hotel lobbies etc. Not only is there usually an anchor conducting an extended interview with another BBC employee about something that could be dealt with concisely in a few lines of well honed prose, but there's the running titles underneath!

I rarely watch TV news. I do take a newspaper, but am very selective in what I read.

I came to Breakfast (or Morning on 3 as it was in the days of Penny Gore's stewardship) as a refugee from the Today programme on Radio 4, sick of endless evasive politicians and hectoring journalists.

I agree, one news bulletin on the hour is sufficient, no need for the presenter's summary of the news or the front pages of the papers.

It is interesting how is is now the "BBC News", not just the News at the hour and half hour.

OG

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                  An amazing and totally brilliant posting. It has resonance... and what is more, is really uplifting. If only it could be bottled!

Thanks Nick.
                  It may not work for everyone but it certainly did for me.
                  If only I'd known all those years ago that I could have avoided so much despair by simply avoiding news at ten and the Telegraph.
                  RVW should be available on prescription IMV.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... sorry, Edgely - I'm afraid RVW has quite the reverse effect on me!

I find that for me Scarlatti and - of course - Haydn are usually the most effective remedies.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks Nick.
                      It may not work for everyone but it certainly did for me.
                      If only I'd known all those years ago that I could have avoided so much despair by simply avoiding news at ten and the Telegraph.
                      RVW should be available on prescription IMV.
                      at least it is possible to buy a decent set of the symphonies for about the same price as a single prescription.

That was a great post, BTW, ER.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Life affirming, uplifting, resonant.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

I find that for me Scarlatti and - of course - Haydn are usually the most effective remedies.
                          Each to their own, of course, but I find Bruckner to be the most effective remedy. Beethoven too. And Mozart, Schubert, Mahler, Shostakovich and...and...

Seriously, though, it always used to amuse me when my parents, who had lived, and in my father's case, fought, in the Second World War bemoan how much more dreadful the world was now. In vain did I explain that an earthquake in Japan 40 years ago would have been a footnote on page 14 of the paper, if the story made it at all. Nowadays you have live pictures, endlessly repeated. It gives a completely different perspective and naturally gives rise to feelings of helplessness etc.

I detest the 24 hour news culture but afraid the toothpaste can't now be put back in the tube.

As for R3, they have always had a news bulletin in the morning for as long as I can remember. A copy I have of the Radio Times for the last week of September 1970 reveals News and Weather at 7am, 8am and 9am.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            As for R3, they have always had a news bulletin in the morning for as long as I can remember. A copy I have of the Radio Times for the last week of September 1970 reveals News and Weather at 7am, 8am and 9am.
                            That's fair enough. But every 15 minutes is not necessary or desirable.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I think they're planning something new - not sure what it is.
                              The daily Bruckner symphony from 7 to 9am, perhaps!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

The power of music eh.
                                Yes I can see Haydn working vin.

Comment

Working...
                                X