X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kuhlau
    • Jun 2024

Saturday Classics: 06/10/2012

In October's BBC Music Magazine, this episode was billed to be presented by Marc-André Hamelin

However, it is now scheduled on the website as "Pianist Gwilym Simcock selects works reflecting his diverse musical influences."

Being quite the fan of Hamelin, I was looking forward to his selections. I wonder what happened there?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kuhlau View Post
    Being quite the fan of Hamelin, I was looking forward to his selections. I wonder what happened there?
    Who knows? As it's the 'piano season' I suppose Hamelin was engaged for that. Perhaps he just couldn't make it. If it was recorded at all (or is it live? - surely not?), it will turn up some time.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

I heard the trailer of the programme some while ago referring to Gwilym Simcock. So I expect the information you saw was likely to be a plain mistake/misprint. I imagine Hamelin’s performance is included in the programme, which probably caused the mistake. I assume the programme is recorded and not live?

Comment

• Northender

I caught the end of yesterday's broadcast, when it was announced that next week's edition would be hosted by GS.

Comment

• Kuhlau

Just checked the October BBC Music Magazine again, and on page 120 it says "...the weekly piano-focused editions of Saturday Classics throughout the seasons with presenters including Marc-André Hamelin, Katia and Marielle Labèque, Lang Lang and Jamie Cullum."

October 6th definitely names Hamelin as the presenter. As stated, it must have been a mistake or misprint. Let's hope for some Hamelin on the bill at least!

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

This is on today (13 October)

Pianist and composer Marc-Andre Hamelin chooses music with extreme piano playing.

Comment

Working...
            X