X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Bryn

Now you've got me listening to Bach concerto in C for 2x Schnabels + LPO + Boult! Not too bad - thought the wow at the end of the first movement is ... Wow!

I'll put off opening the Boult box for today then.
    Last edited by Dave2002; 25-08-12, 23:21.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Always a very soft spot for the 6th... for me its Giardino Armonico/Antonini, BCJ/Suzuki...

Yes, Klemperer and Busch have their place.... in history.
      Allegedly. Alright, subjectively then. Don't want to stop anyone enjoying themselves.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        The whole HIPP argument gets more and more like Catholics v. Protestants, Celtic v. Rangers, Bush v. Gore, etc. (Add more of your own.)
        Can't we just accept that different people like different methods of playing, and that vIbrato was used in baroque times? this "holier that thou" attitude becomes ever more irritating.
        Well you obviously can't EA cos you keep dragging it up!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Well you obviously can't EA cos you keep dragging it up!
          I did not drag it up. I merely responded to earlier postings on this thread.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            This evening, after spinning the very enjoyable 6th from the 'Abbado' DVD I went on to sample Boult's (from the Bach to Wagner box). Sorry, I could only take a few minutes before I felt the need to clear my ears with MAK/Goebel. Ah, that's better!
            I had a similar response and went to my latest Brandenburg acquisition, the excellent Café Zimmermann box.

Comment

• amateur51

My dear EA, you do drag it up whenever you can, even if no-one else has mentioned it.

It's part of your charm

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Oooh, you FIBBER, Alpie!!

Somebody's only got to mention "Offenbach" and you fingers can't hit the keyboard fast enough, telling us all that you were woken in the middle of the night by that Reinhard Goebel breaking into your house to make off with your Steinway!

EDIT:

(Post "sounds" grumpy, which wasn't the intended tone!)
                Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 26-08-12, 11:13.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Somebody's only got to mention "Offenbach" and you fingers can't hit the keyboard fast enough, telling us all that you were woken in the middle of the night by that Reinhard Goebel breaking into your house to make off with your Steinway!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I protest. The only time I brought up HIPP and the vibrato thing myself was when I started this thread. And it was only a bit of fun. And, yes, I admit I was trying to be clever.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      This evening, after spinning the very enjoyable 6th from the 'Abbado' DVD I went on to sample Boult's (from the Bach to Wagner box). Sorry, I could only take a few minutes before I felt the need to clear my ears with MAK/Goebel. Ah, that's better!
                      So Bryn, are you convinced by that very fast tempo taken by Goebel for the first movement? I think it is a very interesting alternative to what we normally hear.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

... i think this thread makes the real point about the Brandenburg 6 being a truly great piece of music that can both inspire and survive many interpretations

[do like Cafe Zimmerman as well]
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          So Bryn, are you convinced by that very fast tempo taken by Goebel for the first movement? I think it is a very interesting alternative to what we normally hear.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            ... i think this thread makes the real point about the Brandenburg 6 being a truly great piece of music that can both inspire and survive many interpretations

FWiW, I quite like the Klemps (but much prefer the Boult) and was surprised at how slow Busch was - I "remember" a much sprightlier performance, but it's about 20 years since I last heard it.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... I see that Walter/Wendy Carlos takes 6'53" - 4'37" - 5'29" for his/her version of Brandenburg #6 ....

For me, it wd probably be Zimmermann ( 5'27" - 4'39" - 5'41"); Musica Antiqua Koln ( 4'26" - 4'12" - 4'51" ); il Giardino Armonico ( 5'57" - 4'35" - 5'58") which I wd choose as current faves.

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

Ha ha, thanks Waldhorn! I used to chat to Nicholas Anderson quite often when I lived close to his house and can just hear him saying that!

Comment

Working...
                                X