I would pay good money for a decent classical music programme during the mornings....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JanH
    • Sep 2024

I would pay good money for a decent classical music programme during the mornings....

maybe this should not be said but........ I am desperate for something decent to listen to in the mornings, often in the afternoons too.

What can be done? I love listening to classical music and previously enjoyed great swathes of it on morning radio programmes, some known and well-loved, other pieces new to me - which I then looked up on the old, reliable listings and very often bought as CDs in a local shop. I also enjoyed listening to knowledgeable announcers/presenters who imparted their considerable knowledge in a civilised way, easy to engage with and listen to. Almost the only radio presenters I can listen to these days, without becoming cross and grumpy, are Catherine Bott and Lucie Skeaping. I enjoy listening to them. There are also of course good presenters for evening concerts and the like.

Now, we are blasted by wittering, trails for this and that, special guests, 'paper headlines, your call, ad.inf. and none of it interests me one wit. The radio gets turned off yet again. I need a decent classical music programme as we used to have during the day not all that long ago.

I have tried CFM but the adverts send one bananas..and the music is too oft repeated and well known. Yes, I can listen to CDs but that doesn't meet my need for well loved music, new-to-me music, and knowledgeable and civilised presenters each day. A knowledgeable man/woman with a decent music library afloat on the North Sea, providing listeners with the longed-for classical music would do very nicely thank you!

JanH
  • Northender

Hello JanH!
    To judge by the content and tone of some other threads, it looks as if you are far from being alone in your views. Luckily for me and those of similar listening habits, the chances of tweets and trails during a nice 45- or 60-minute afternoon play, or 30-minute comedy show, on Radio 4 are zero! The few Radio 3 programmes that I listen to seem to be less contaminated by these tiresome exhortations to 'get involved' and 'interact'. (Radio 4 also has some interesting programmes on musical subjects that, it might be argued, really belong on Radio 3).
    I notice that the For3 'archive' contains recommendations for non-UK classical radio stations (and also sites where one can watch live or recorded concerts). You might want to give them a try.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Hi Jan
      assuming you are new to this board, I think you will fit in just fine around here !!
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JanH View Post
        maybe this should not be said but........ I am desperate for something decent to listen to in the mornings, often in the afternoons too.

What can be done?
        One option, if you want to listen to an actual radio rather than arrange something with your computer (several people here record Through the Night for listening to Through the Day), is to get an internet radio. Then, I'm sure that people will pile in with suggestions of various stations which they favour.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• JanH

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          One option, if you want to listen to an actual radio rather than arrange something with your computer (several people here record Through the Night for listening to Through the Day), is to get an internet radio. Then, I'm sure that people will pile in with suggestions of various stations which they favour.
          Thank you ff. any suggestions for other classical radio stations that others have found enjoyable will be appreciated Thanks!

janH

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by JanH View Post
            Thank you ff. any suggestions for other classical radio stations that others have found enjoyable will be appreciated Thanks!

janH
            Welcome janH!

I'm one of those who listens to Through the Night which I listen to on Listen Again.

It's rarely boring, frequently surprising and ... the chat is minimal. Bliss!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              I'm one of those who listens to Through the Night which I listen to on Listen Again.

It's rarely boring, frequently surprising and ... the chat is minimal. Bliss!
              Can't argue with that and welcome Jan from me too.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

We have had threads before about internet radio and (especially) European classical music radio stations. If anyone can locate one of those discussions it would be useful. I so far haven't managed to track one down. We really ought to have a sticky so that people can add their discoveries.

Obviously, you can get the same stations over the internet with your computer but somehow you do need a little radio set, don't you, to listen to the radio properly? ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  We have had threads before about internet radio and (especially) European classical music radio stations. If anyone can locate one of those discussions it would be useful. I so far haven't managed to track one down. We really ought to have a sticky so that people can add their discoveries.

Obviously, you can get the same stations over the internet with your computer but somehow you do need a little radio set, don't you, to listen to the radio properly? ...
                  There is quite bit of discussion starting here and on following pages:

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    There is quite bit of discussion starting here and on following pages:

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...153#post140153
                    Thanks, gurnemanz.

The thread includes Steve Bowbrick's list.

Comment

• Don Petter

My current favourite is the Italian RaiFd5. A good proportion of chamber music, which fits my requirements. Just now playing the Brahms Sextet Op.18 with the Nash Ensemble, followed by Debussy Etudes played by Jacques Rouvier.

The only direct URL I could find gave rather a low bit rate, but asking Media Player to stream this one gives a 96K feed:

To look at their schedule call up this page:

then click on the date you want (and remember to add an hour to their time to get the UK time).

Comment

• Northender

Currently playing a saxophone quartet by Singelée.
                        Thanks for the link, now bookmarked!

Comment

• pilamenon
                          • Nov 2010

Isn't it sad, though, that Radio 3 can't provide one decent morning programme for Jan and others to listen to? Especially given that for much of the rest of the day, including at weekends, the station is still rather good and very listenable. What is it about the mornings that means they cater for a completely different kind of listener?

Technology does at least give many people plenty of other options nowadays - mine is to programme music on Spotify - but there is something about just being able to have the radio on...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                            Thanks for the link, now bookmarked!
                            Same here, thanks DP.
                            Chopin preludes now.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
                              What is it about the mornings that means they cater for a completely different kind of listener?
                              Well, 'it is' that the entire country (speaking generally) wants to listen to the radio in the mornings, particularly during the 'getting up', 'having breakfast', 'getting ready for work' time. So if you're aiming to attract new listeners, that's the most potentially profitable time to go for them.

And because Radio 3 appeals to an older audience and more retired and self-employed people, the morning extends to midday, so it also makes sense to consolidate by having 'accessible' programming over that entire morning period. If you are the small minority which neither needs nor wants this kind of approach, losing you will have minimal impact compared with the larger number who might be attracted.

This is my explanation for why they've done what they've done. I think - and hope - it's a flawed strategy.

Comment

Working...
                              X