• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Good for you, Rob

Faute de mieux, I tuned into Sunday Morning to hear the end of a string piece by Philip Glass followed by Rob Cowan saying [something along the lines of] "I absolutely hate it". How wonderful! Not that I've anything against Glass, but what a change from the norm on R3 mornings. Usually a gushing presenter(-ess) tells you how wonderful such-and-such is going to be, how marvellous it was afterwards, and exactly what to think about what you've just heard. Maybe I got all this wrong, but if not, Good on yer, Rob.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Faute de mieux, I tuned into Sunday Morning to hear the end of a string piece by Philip Glass followed by Rob Cowan saying [something along the lines of] "I absolutely hate it". How wonderful! Not that I've anything against Glass, but what a change from the norm on R3 mornings. Usually a gushing presenter(-ess) tells you how wonderful such-and-such is going to be, how marvellous it was afterwards, and exactly what to think about what you've just heard. Maybe I got all this wrong, but if not, Good on yer, Rob.
    Yes, it's a total irrelevance, in one sense, but a huge change from the usual wonderful-fantastic-fabulous-amazing-brilliant-awesome acclaimed, award-winning ... Hope you did get it right, arders! (And hope he didn't ask listeners to text in to say whether they loved it or hated it - that would be even more irrelevant)

I remember watching the late Humphrey Carpenter on In Tune pulling a face as he played a recording of Barenboim performing Ellington. ("Why doesn't he just tell us not to play it?" said the producer.) At the end HC testily complained on air about classical musicians' failed attempts at playing jazz.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

so is this proof that the presenters have no say in the planning/contents of the playlists ?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        so is this proof that the presenters have no say in the planning/contents of the playlists ?
        I don't think it's proof of anything, is it? My guess is that presenters who want a say, get a say, albeit in consultation with their producer.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          presenters who want a say, get a say, albeit in consultation with their producer.
          this is slightly different to what I've been told about the Breakfast and Essential Classics programmes where I thought the presenters were completely at the mercy of the producer, hence the appalling choice of music

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

From seeing the OP....I thought he had fallen on his sword....
            bong ching

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Well, I've just LA-ed, and Rob actually said (approx) "Well we had to play this but I have to say I hate it". So Rob was presented with a fait accompli in this case; but he often refers to his 'rucksack' so one presumes he has some input too.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

What was the piece though ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  "Well we had to play this but I have to say I hate it".

There was almost an outbreak of the same thing, it seemed to me (I was listening half-asleep) when AMcG and his guest were talking about the CDs of Le Concert d'Astrée's birthday concert on CD Review yesterday - basically a mess of an issue, fun if you were there and with a couple of decent tracks... But I suppose that's different, they're critics.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    this is slightly different to what I've been told about the Breakfast and Essential Classics programmes where I thought the presenters were completely at the mercy of the producer, hence the appalling choice of music
                    I've always thought that Rob/Sarah had some input into Essential Classics but not carte blanche - the versions chosen have thr Rob touch but the guest chunks and quiz bits are imposed.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      What was the piece though ?

I think it was Mr. Glass's Dracula - part/start of some themed ghoulish section if I recall.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Dare I say that I thought the Bach cantata was appalling? Apart from having the sainted KF in it that is. The tenor sounded like a 1940s naval officer. Dives for cover.

Comment

• Black Swan

Faute de mieux[/I], I tuned into Sunday Morning to hear the end of a string piece by Philip Glass followed by Rob Cowan saying [something along the lines of] "I absolutely hate it". How wonderful! Not that I've anything against Glass, but what a change from the norm on R3 mornings. Usually a gushing presenter(-ess) tells you how wonderful such-and-such is going to be, how marvellous it was afterwards, and exactly what to think about what you've just heard. Maybe I got all this wrong, but if not, Good on yer, Rob.

I am afraid I am going to be in a minority here. I don't think that Rob Cowan giving us his opinion was needed. I don't like Delius but that is no reason for me to rant about the recent Composer of the week. I have in the past as I will in the future turn off any programs that RC participates in or gives commentary. I find him over blown and in most cases patronizing in his comments. He is there to be a moderator. He he sees himself as some sort of musical guru. I didn't particularly like the Glass but I don't like other works he presents. I also am fed up with him giving a mini speech before each piece, issues around music labels, etc.. I want to hear music not trivia from R3. I agree with a recent post, RC should write a book, that would give us the option of reading his opinion, not prattle on as the presenter of a radio show. I 'm sure most of the posters will disagree with me but I've had my say.

John

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                            • Nov 2010

I actually agree with you John. I do not think that presenters should be voicing their personal opinions either way on Radio. We had another case a few days ago with a presenter advertising Massenet Manon, saying how much better it was in their opinion than Puccini's. They can write about their opinions with no problems or contribute to article, forums etc, but when presenting on the R3, opinions should be kept to themselves, except on programmes designed with a critical opinion in mind such CD Review.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post

I am afraid I am going to be in a minority here. I don't think that Rob Cowan giving us his opinion was needed. I don't like Delius but that is no reason for me to rant about the recent Composer of the week. I have in the past as I will in the future turn off any programs that RC participates in or gives commentary. I find him over blown and in most cases patronizing in his comments. He is there to be a moderator. He he sees himself as some sort of musical guru. I didn't particularly like the Glass but I don't like other works he presents. I also am fed up with him giving a mini speech before each piece, issues around music labels, etc.. I want to hear music not trivia from R3. I agree with a recent post, RC should write a book, that would give us the option of reading his opinion, not prattle on as the presenter of a radio show. I 'm sure most of the posters will disagree with me but I've had my say.

John
                              On contrary, I agree with you... But given that we seem to be in a world where - during the day at least - there are not so much announcers as presenters, then I would rather their involvement not be limited to gushing, indiscriminate superlatives praising everything to the skies.

But I would prefer a more neutral approach generally, without a doubt
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X