Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Good Lord, yes - it's one of the things still worthwhile listening to. Plain and wholesome R3 fare, unadulterated by inane chatter. Long may it continue.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

I don’t think TTN is meant to be listened through as one programme, and as for ‘real time’ listening, I imagine it can be dipped in wherever you like, as it is not 'programmed' as such. I listen to it every morning (it has become almost a ritual) as I sit at the desk doing ‘paper work’ sort of jobs. I always start from the beginning so that I hear something I wouldn’t choose myself, unless it is an opera which I don’t feel up to it for the first thing in the morning (unless it is an Early Music work). I pick up the rest or what I want to hear again through the day when I have time to ‘listen to the radio’ Rather like turning on a storage heater. In short, Radio 3 means Through the Night to me. Almost.

Once the Proms start and afternoons and evenings are taken up by mighty symphonies and Romantic concertos (-ti?), I shall be retreating more into Through the Night. What a good thing iPlayer is.

Comment

• Don Petter

I, too, think it is a wonderful programme, though I don't go to the lengths of time shifting it.

We hear it, perhaps four or five times a year when we set out from the house in the car in the very early hours to catch the Dover ferry or the Eurostar at Ashford.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          I don’t think TTN is meant to be listened through as one programme, and as for ‘real time’ listening, I imagine it can be dipped in wherever you like, as it is not 'programmed' as such. I listen to it every morning (it has become almost a ritual) as I sit at the desk doing ‘paper work’ sort of jobs. I always start from the beginning so that I hear something I wouldn’t choose myself, unless it is an opera which I don’t feel up to it for the first thing in the morning (unless it is an Early Music work). I pick up the rest or what I want to hear again through the day when I have time to ‘listen to the radio’ Rather like turning on a storage heater. In short, Radio 3 means Through the Night to me. Almost.

Once the Proms start and afternoons and evenings are taken up by mighty symphonies and Romantic concertos (-ti?), I shall be retreating more into Through the Night. What a good thing iPlayer is.
          If you missed them TtN will repeat them before the new Proms season starts anyway

With EMS, H&N and sometimes Ao3 nearly the only program I am interested in - though I cannot escape the impression that quite recently quite a lot of repetition crept in.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
            I don’t think TTN is meant to be listened through as one programme, and as for ‘real time’ listening, I imagine it can be dipped in wherever you like, as it is not 'programmed' as such.
            And let's not forget that when the programme started, the BBC Schools programme came on at 3am: not many teachers or pupils were listening to it live. The whole idea was that teachers would record it (I understand the technology allowed them to time the programme without getting up to set the recorder I, on the other hand was known to set my alarm clock and arise for that purpose ).

I believe the listening figure drops to about 3,000 right in the depths of the night, but if that's considered of any importance - what's the point of the iPlayer?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              I, too, think it is a wonderful programme, though I don't go to the lengths of time shifting it.

We hear it, perhaps four or five times a year when we set out from the house in the car in the very early hours to catch the Dover ferry or the Eurostar at Ashford.
              You perhaps ought to consider time shifting the TTN programme. There are just so many good items, which pop up from all sorts of places.

Today there was some really good Handel, Haydn and in the latter part music by Arvo Pärt, Henryk Mikolaj Górecki and Wawrzyniec Zulawski. I'm afraid I did listen "in real time" as I had problems staying asleep.

doversoul might not be able to escape the Proms - but others may be thankful. Quite often there are repeats of Proms concerts on TTN. If this can be spotted in advance it's useful to pick up recordings of some very good or even great performances which may have been missed the first time round.

There are also many performances which probably come from EBU recordings. I'm hoping, for example, that some of the recent West Cork Chamber Music concerts, which were recorded by RTE Lyric FM will eventually emerge that way. It may be possible to find some of them on the RTE Lyric FM web site, but it's not that easy to navigate. I know that most of the concerts were recorded.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

If I want to listen to Radio 3 through the day more often than not I listen to TTN.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I'd be very happy if there were a TTD programme, i.e. a wide variety of music played with minimal announcements. As it is, I agree it's great for night-time car journeys (best way to travel these days) plus occasional spells of insomnia.

Comment

• Quarky
                    • Dec 2010

Usually waking up early, 3.30 - 4 am, I listen up until the Radio 4 programmes get going 5.30 am.

I have to be near the off switch as there is a wide range of music played and not all to my tastes ( I would not want to listen to an opera/ dramatic symphony while dozing off). But as I generally reach for the off-switch when Petroc Trelawney starts up, I would welcome TTN extending until 9 am, at least.

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

doversoul might not be able to escape the Proms - but others may be thankful. Quite often there are repeats of Proms concerts on TTN. If this can be spotted in advance it's useful to pick up recordings of some very good or even great performances which may have been missed the first time round.
                      I don’t mind the proms repeated on TTN all that much, mainly because I know I have a choice (I rarely listen in real time) to skip it, and also the concerts are free from (often) hyped up live presentations.

As for repeats, I don’t mind the repeat but now that so many programmes are repeated in such short intervals that it makes me suspicious and worried that the programme is not sufficiently supported.

I have said this many times but what makes TTN so enjoyable for me is not because it's all music and little talk, but it is presented by exceptional radio broadcasters. It is quite amazing how they choose words and use their voices so effectively, and tell us so much in so few words.

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        I'd be very happy if there were a TTD programme, i.e. a wide variety of music played with minimal announcements. As it is, I agree it's great for night-time car journeys (best way to travel these days) plus occasional spells of insomnia.
                        Being an occasional insomniac I almost look forward to the odd sleepless night so I can catch TTN in its entirety. I've discovered some fantastic music, composers and performers at 3 o'clock in the morning. How much better, though, to have a TTD programme. No tweets or texts, no silly games or waffle. Well, we can always dream (unless, of course, we're suffering from insomnia).

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Try Finnish Radio's Classic Music site. http://yle.fi/radio/yleklassinen/suora/

Comment

• Crowcatcher

I usually "dip in" at about 4 a.m. when I wake up and turn off as soon as the much complained about Breakfast starts.

BUT, because I find TTN so much better in content and presentation than most of the rest of R3 I record it on my Freesat box (so much better technical quality than DAB) and replay it through the day (distributing it around the house by a "slightly illegal means!!!)

What impresses me is the range of unusual music played that wouldn't normally be heard anywhere else, and how refreshing to listen to R3's three best presenters.

(There is also the possibility of 'listen again')

Comment

• muzzer
                              • Nov 2013

Almost always on replay in the morning as I work, when it is most welcome indeed. Only in real time when insomnia strikes

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Crowcatcher View Post
                                ... distributing it around the house by a "slightly illegal means!!!
                                Bit of a minefield here. I'm not aware that recording TTN in real time on a PVR would be "illegal", though perhaps if iPlayer were involved that might violate the T&Cs. Maybe it's your distribution method which is suspect - my mind is boggling.

PS: If you live in a mansion on a country estate then some distribution could violate other regulations, but I suspect that doesn't really apply.

Comment

Working...
                                X