• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    While I am here: Lat (the OP), if you still look in here, I hope all is well with you.
    I hope so too.

Comment

• Roehre

I expect most people already know about it but TTN is now available on iPlayer for four weeks. With the new time marker, this gives me much greater chance of listening to the individual works that are rarely played anywhere else. These days, Radio3 means (almost) Through the Night to me.....
      with hear and now that most of the time applies to me too - makes two of us

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

I expect most people already know about it but TTN is now available on iPlayer for four weeks. With the new time marker, this gives me much greater chance of listening to the individual works that are rarely played anywhere else. These days, Radio3 means (almost) Through the Night to me.

While I am here: Lat (the OP), if you still look in here, I hope all is well with you.
        Same here ds,although just occasionally my faith in Radio 3 as a whole is restored just a little.

Myaskovsky,Howells and John Field on the wireless this Sunday morning.

If you're there Lat,best wishes

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Same here ds,although just occasionally my faith in Radio 3 as a whole is restored just a little.

Myaskovsky,Howells and John Field on the wireless this Sunday morning.

If you're there Lat,best wishes
          Yup, best from me too, lat, if you are looking in any time.

Hope you have heard the new THTCH album.

That South American music thread is waiting to be done too.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

two hours of Strauss and Wagner from the Concertgebouw archives this morning.
            EDIT - seems to be a Strauss Tone Poem week
            Last edited by mercia; 30-10-14, 02:42.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Hmm. Tonight's TtN is Episode 2 of 2 including music by "Penderecki at 81".

Tomorrow night's is also Episode 2 of 2 including music by "Penderecki at 81", but with different content.

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

Organ Recital: Wednesday 19

I'm not too sure where the opening recital ends but nearly two hours of organ music. No, not Buxtehude but Brahms, Franck, Durufle, and more.
                Jonathan Swain's selection includes an organ recital given by Jordi Cabre in Barcelona.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Archive
                  Through the Night

Catriona Young presents highlight performances by the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra from the early 1990s, with music by Wagner, Zemlinsky and Elgar.
                  Well that's the headline for tinight's TtN. Special Yuletide present for the first to spot any such item in tonight's online schedule.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Well that's the headline for tinight's TtN. Special Yuletide present for the first to spot any such item in tonight's online schedule.

and last night's BBC performing groups's programme was published after the broadcast .
                    This morning's TtN saw the broadcast of an Easter Mass .
                    A bit messy it is

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Here’s another. Sunday 21st.
                      On the schedule page:
                      Including Mahler's Resurrection Symphony with soloists Ruth Ziesak and Nathalie Stutzmann.

…and the heading of the actual programme page
                      Mahler's Symphony No 2
                      Haydn's Creation - Philippe Herreweghe conducts the Orchestre des Champs-Elysées Collegium Vocale Ghent. With Catriona Young

Including Mahler's Resurrection Symphony with soloists Ruth Ziesak and Nathalie Stutzmann.

Comment

• Roehre

...and the whole of TtN of January 6th is a complete repeat of the one of October 14th, including the a part of the Nowakowski quintet with which it begins being repeated just before the end of the programme

Comment

• Quarky
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          ...and the whole of TtN of January 6th is a complete repeat of the one of October 14th, including the a part of the Nowakowski quintet with which it begins being repeated just before the end of the programme
                          PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING --RANT FOLLOWS

With all due respect to you erudite gentlemen, I do feel TTN has been improving significantly recently We have had a night-full of Villa Lobos this week, and there were two other nights where I was able to keep the radio on throughout, while falling in and out of sleep.

The above comments, whilst accurate of course, point to a weakness in this forum, in that it is far easier to make negative comments/ complaints, which other posters will respond to, rather than positive comments, which will be largely ignored. All IMV of course.

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                            PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING --RANT FOLLOWS

With all due respect to you erudite gentlemen, I do feel TTN has been improving significantly recently We have had a night-full of Villa Lobos this week, and there were two other nights where I was able to keep the radio on throughout, while falling in and out of sleep.

The above comments, whilst accurate of course, point to a weakness in this forum, in that it is far easier to make negative comments/ complaints, which other posters will respond to, rather than positive comments, which will be largely ignored. All IMV of course.
                            Oh, I’d be the first one to defend TTN, and I do not mind repeats in the least, as they are usually worth listening more than once. What I am (I assume Bryn too, and may be Roehre) complaining is not about the programme but the management of the website, or the lack of it, to be precise.

I have said more than once that Through the Night is one of a very few programmes on Radio3 I listen to these days. The three presenters do not deserve to have their playlists messed up.

Comment

• aeolium
                              • Nov 2010

I think the main problem with TtN is the accuracy of the playlists, particularly in advance. The night featuring items from the Concertgebouw as Bryn mentioned is an example - the playlist now seems to have been corrected and some of the items are indeed from archive performances of the Concertgebouw. But this is a problem that affects many R3 programmes now and has been commented on often before. I still partly agree with Oddball above that TtN often has very good things on its schedules and is one of the few programmes unaffected by too much presenter chat (not to mention even worse distractions). It's a great pity that a relatively easy problem to correct - getting the playlists right in advance - seems to be beyond R3 at present, as otherwise I would have few complaints about TtN. Yes, there are repeats - where aren't there repeats right through the BBC's output as it copes with 20% cuts? - but the repertoire played is often more interesting than elsewhere in the R3 schedule and the presentation format is exemplary. It's still imv a programme to celebrate - just get those damn playlists right!

Comment

• Roehre

Oh, I’d be the first one to defend TTN, and I do not mind repeats in the least, as they are usually worth listening more than once. What I am (I assume Bryn too, and may be Roehre) complaining is not about the programme but the management of the website, or the lack of it, to be precise.

I have said more than once that Through the Night is one of a very few programmes on Radio3 I listen to these days. The three presenters do not deserve to have their playlists messed up.
                                couldn't have expressed this better myself.
                                For the record: just checking my contributions to "What are you listening to" reveals how relatively many works broadcast in TtN are listed here (like the recent Villa-Lobos).

But there are works which are recycled ad infinitum and whole programmes [or 2 hours' parts of it] are repeated with some regularity.

Nevertheless TtN is one of the few programmes to which I listen very regularly.

Comment

Working...
                                X