X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

To my ears (I got the CD a couple of years before it turned up on TtN) the recording is the same. It's cheating a bit, but IIRC some of the stuff played on TtN during The Tchaikovsky Experience was also available on CD first. It is only fair to mention that these recordings were originally issued on CD in cooperation with radio networks.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      recorded live: dammit we need a variation of this vexatious word to mean recorded in a studio or in front of an audience with no retakes or patching, mistakes and all, hmm perhaps 'live' would do for that....

Comment

• Crowcatcher

Just to pitch in with previous comments I have made about TTN.
        I have just come round to listening to my recordings made over the Easter period, some of the delights being Teleman's "Der Tod Jesu" passion , Elgar's Sea Pictures beautifully sung by Kristina Hammarström with the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Tadaaki Otaka, and from May the 2nd an hour-and-a-half of music by Finnish composer Toivo Kuula.
        I listened to Breakfast for a few minutes last Saturday and was confronted by Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet" suite, turned to CD, and sent a coplaining text to my daughter which brought the reply "That's the tenth time this year!!!!!"

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

The first couple of hours or so of TtN tomorrow morning (18th July) look very enticing. Krivine, away from La Chambre Philharmonique, conducting Beethoven's Violin Concerto (Renaud Capucon) and Mahler's 1st (not sub-titled 'Titan', as listed - that was the earlier symphonic poem in two parts, of which the First Symphony was a re-orchestrated and trimmed development, without subtitle). Given Krivine's superb Beethoven symphonic surveys (as issued on CD, and on television/YouTube) the programme should be well worth catching via the iPlayer.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            The first couple of hours or so of TtN tomorrow morning (18th July) look very enticing. Krivine, away from La Chambre Philharmonique, conducting Beethoven's Violin Concerto (Renaud Capucon) and Mahler's 1st (not sub-titled 'Titan', as listed - that was the earlier symphonic poem in two parts, of which the First Symphony was a re-orchestrated and trimmed development, without subtitle). Given Krivine's superb Beethoven symphonic surveys (as issued on CD, and on television/YouTube) the programme should be well worth catching via the iPlayer.
            The Mahler was splendid - as euphoric in Mahler terms as I have heard, and that's saying something. Not knowing it was No 1 until the "Frere Jacques" movement, I had forgotten the concluding movement with tenor. Yep, you're right; there is no concluding movement with tenor to Mahler 1. What I was listening to was Korngold's "Mein Sehnen, mein Wahnen" - I had drifted off!

Comment

• Roehre

The last two hours of TtN (Fri 20 > Sat 21 July) have "Hunt(ing)" as a theme. Ingenious programming I'd say.

Comment

• David-G
                • Mar 2012

I was up late on Saturday night, and caught this:

3:01 AM
                Bach, Johann Sebastian [1685-1750]
                Magnificat in D major (BWV.243)

Antonella Balducci (soprano), Ulrike Clausen (alto), Frieder Lang (tenor),
                Fulvio Bettini (baritone), Chorus of Swiss-Italian Radio, Ensemble Vanitas
                Lugano, Diego Fasolis (conductor)

It was superb! I postponed going to bed, and came down and listened on the hi-fi. Strongly recommended, catch it while it's still on the iPlayer. (Sunday morning 29 July).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                  I was up late on Saturday night, and caught this:

3:01 AM
                  Bach, Johann Sebastian [1685-1750]
                  Magnificat in D major (BWV.243)

Antonella Balducci (soprano), Ulrike Clausen (alto), Frieder Lang (tenor),
                  Fulvio Bettini (baritone), Chorus of Swiss-Italian Radio, Ensemble Vanitas
                  Lugano, Diego Fasolis (conductor)

It was superb! I postponed going to bed, and came down and listened on the hi-fi. Strongly recommended, catch it while it's still on the iPlayer. (Sunday morning 29 July).

I think TTN programming is all from live concerts, isn't it? In which case that must have been a live concert given around the time of the release of this CD version with the same forces, soloists and the inspirational Fasolis: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...e=UTF8&s=music

Or maybe the CD is of the live performance itself. Either way, given the very reasonable price, I've just ordered it on your recommendation!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• David-G
                    • Mar 2012

It was definitely live, as there was applause at the end. I do wish that they would announce where and when the concert was. I hope you enjoy the CD!

Comment

• AndyJW
                      • Jan 2011

It was definitely live, as there was applause at the end. I do wish that they would announce where and when the concert was. I hope you enjoy the CD!
                      They usually do!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

The CD has just been delivered into my hands by amazon.

It says it is a "live recording" made in the Chiesa di S. Francesco, Locarno, Switzerland on 9th May 1994. I bet it's the same performance as the one on TTN. As AndyJW says, I'm surprised it wasn't announced. I can't check the iPlayer at the moment - are you sure it wasn't mentioned?
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          ....I think TTN programming is all from live concerts, isn't it?
                          Not necessarily so. I have seen passing a couple of performances which were studio recordings made by the respective broadcast organisations, though many of these made immediately before or after a public performance of the same piece.
                          Especially the Dutch, the Belgian/Flemish and the recordings made by the (former) Südwestfunk in Baden-Württemberg are in this category of "semi-"live recordings, some of these released on non-profit-labels.

Comment

• David-G
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

The CD has just been delivered into my hands by amazon.

It says it is a "live recording" made in the Chiesa di S. Francesco, Locarno, Switzerland on 9th May 1994. I bet it's the same performance as the one on TTN. As AndyJW says, I'm surprised it wasn't announced. I can't check the iPlayer at the moment - are you sure it wasn't mentioned?
                            Quite sure. No mention of the location, or the date. I find that is rather common in TTN broadcasts of concerts, and I rather regret that they don't give this information.

Comment

• David-G
                              • Mar 2012

Last Sunday's TTN had a concert which I much enjoyed. This was a "Schubertiade" from Vilabertran in Catalonia, with Mojca Erdmann, soprano, and Gerold Huber, (piano) performing lieder by Mendelssohn, Strauss and Schubert. I found this most enjoyable, and I was particularly taken with Mojca Erdmann, who I had not come across before. She has a pure voice of great clarity. Did anyone else hear this? There are still a few days left to listen to it on the iplayer.

Comment

• mozart79
                                • Dec 2010

i love this show as a person with Asperger's syndrome i find it very relaxing indeed lots of music and little chat realy helps calm me down if i get stressed not many other shows like it on radio wish there was more

Comment

Working...
                                X