Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Probably irrelevant, but could it be something to do with the Digital TV switchover? However I note that Stage Two in the London area is scheduled to be completed by 18th April, which is a few days after what might seem to be a scheduled blackout.

It could just be erroneous "information" though, we'll have to wait and see.

On the other hand some switchover operations appear to be seamless. The recent switch over of Astra satellites had virtually no effect on satellite transmission - no service disruption, nada, ingenting - though some of the channels may be stronger and clearer than before. Information I noted about that change turned out to be pretty redundant, and many users may not have noticed.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Missed this; but is it like the chordal multiphonics of Weber's Horn Concertino?

One for Hornspieler/Waldhorn, methinks!
      Interesting page/link that. It's also possible to do multiphonics on the flute. For some reason the name Haubenstock-Romati springs to mind - I'll need to check. There are certainly books (maybe short ones) which have fingerings for a range of chords and effects possible on the flute. I think Heinz Holliger also played and maybe recorded some multiphonic pieces on the oboe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I think Heinz Holliger also played and maybe recorded some multiphonic pieces on the oboe.
        You bet! I can't offhand name the ones I've heard, apart from Henze's Double Concerto for Oboe, Harp and Strings of 1966, written for Heinz and Ursula Holliger, and a favourite of mine among many loved works of this composer.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

The last few posts reminded me of an item on Music Magazine years ago on multiphonic singing - it took a few dips into Wikipedia to find what it was called - I couldn't remember the term overtone singing, but there's an article on it in Wikipedia.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            It's also possible to do multiphonics on the flute. For some reason the name Haubenstock-Romati springs to mind - I'll need to check. There are certainly books (maybe short ones) which have fingerings for a range of chords and effects possible on the flute. I think Heinz Holliger also played and maybe recorded some multiphonic pieces on the oboe.
            Clarinettists, Saxophonists and Bassoonists can also get them, too. The trouble with the books that explain how you achieve them is that they tend to be oriented to a specific performer: Bartolozzi's New Sounds for Woodwinds (the first text on the subject, I believe) is nowadays widely "panned" by performers who can't reproduce the sounds that the performers on the EP that accompanied the book managed. Peter Howell's The Avant-Garde Flute has many fingering charts that some performers find unworkable, or most effective for the "standard" Flute - with considerably less efficacy for Alto and Bass. And yet, again, Howells provided an EP recording showing that at least one performer could realize the sounds he claimed.

For composers working with a specific performer, it is a matter of accommodating the performer's strengths in a particular work and hoping that others will be able to reproduce something approximating to these sounds. Haubenstock-Romati (and others) often give more general indications ("strong, piercing muliphonic", "fragile, 'aleatoric' multiphonic", "three-four pitches with the lowest note prominent" sort of thing) so that individual performers can find their own best approximations.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I always get confused between Multiphonics and Overtones.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I always get confused between Multiphonics and Overtones.
                Both great bands, or was that Stereophonics and Undertones ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  Both great bands, or was that Stereophonics and Undertones ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Indeed! It's the early hours of Wednesday 21st that enthuse me particularly - I've set the whole thing to record to SD card in suitable tranches (for morning listening & an antidote to Schubert dedications and requests ): a concert from Concerto Copenhagen to start, chamber pieces I don't know from Rubbra and Stenhammar, Ibert's "Petite Suite", Bach, Salieri, Telemann, Obrecht, Debussy's "L'isle Joyeuse"... Fantastic 6 hours' worth
                    That night's programming http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01d7g11 has given me so much pleasure - as an antidote to Schubert week, and since. The Pisendel concerto is a real delight... as is the piece I've just been listening to for the nth time:

Stenhammar's 2nd String Quartet. Gorgeous slow movement!!

Sorry - just had to let out my enthusiasm for this discovery!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Last night's TTN was a cracker. WAM Pno Concerto in B flat major K.595 (Pires); Zinman conducting the Eroica; Brahms G major Sextet and a Mendelsohn Octet fizzing with youthful passion... and lots more I then slept through, including my favourite TTN discovery, Hellendaal. I shall listen again and strongly recommend.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        Last night's TTN was a cracker. WAM Pno Concerto in B flat major K.595 (Pires); Zinman conducting the Eroica; Brahms G major Sextet and a Mendelsohn Octet fizzing with youthful passion... and lots more I then slept through, including my favourite TTN discovery, Hellendaal. I shall listen again and strongly recommend.
                        Certainly was an amazing performance of the Eroica.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Caught some of this today,Brilliant.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Thank you so much for this head's up! I've now decanted the programme onto my iPod. What a great sequence of music, indeed... Look forward to a long journey when it will be perfect

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Thank you so much for this head's up! I've now decanted the programme onto my iPod. What a great sequence of music, indeed... Look forward to a long journey when it will be perfect
                              Not too long a journey Caliban - Mr Zinman & his Tonhalle Slickers take the Eroica at an energetic lick - lively stuff!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Not too long a journey Caliban - Mr Zinman & his Tonhalle Slickers take the Eroica at an energetic lick - lively stuff!
                                Yes, I remember hearing the Prom.... Some of the music actually rendered slightly nonsensical - a nasty case of Norringtonitis. But Maria Joao Pires in Mozart....

Comment

Working...
                                X