Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Anyone here have any information on composer Nicola Gilbert, whose Portrait is the first item on tonight's programme? I can't find any, anywhere, and am wondering if this is yet another of Radio Times's misprints.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Anyone here have any information on composer Nicola Gilbert, whose Portrait is the first item on tonight's programme? I can't find any, anywhere, and am wondering if this is yet another of Radio Times's misprints.
      Radio 3's website refers to 'Gilbert', though for some reason it isn't possible to put the playlist on the website even though it's available in Radio Times.

Nicolas Gilbert? https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-mu...ilbert-nicolas

Aha! https://nicolasgilbert.ca/
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Radio 3's website refers to 'Gilbert', though for some reason it isn't possible to put the playlist on the website even though it's available in Radio Times.

Nicolas Gilbert? https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-mu...ilbert-nicolas

Aha! https://nicolasgilbert.ca/
        Thanks ff and well done! If this be the one he is evidently French Canadian, 41 years old.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Thanks ff and well done! If this be the one he is evidently French Canadian, 41 years old.
          With Marc-Andre Hamelin being a compatriot, they are quite likely to know each other.

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            The playlist is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000w57s

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              Well there you have it - thanks to the both of you!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                Bless, my soul! Could have sworn I clicked the See More link. Well, that confirms it (even if they spelled Nicolas as Nicholas).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Looking forward to tomorrow's Through the Night, I think the Tallis Scholars concert is from 15/11/2019 (PDF link for Tage Alter Musik in Herne).

Sacred Vocal Polyphony before and after the Council of Trent

Peter Phillips and the Tallis Scholars perform music by Palestrina, Josquin and de Kerle at Herne Early Music Days festival in Germany. Presented by Catriona Young.
                  Looks to be a repeat of the 22/9/2020 TTN, which I must have missed.
                  First heard it on Ö1's excellent "Alte Musik - neu interpretiert" - but a tad longer and in a slightly different order(?), starting with the Ruffo.
                  Last edited by AuntDaisy; 22-05-21, 08:23.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

The schedulers have managed to assemble eight composers with names ending in -ov onto tonight's list. Should be an interesting night!

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

The schedulers have managed to assemble eight composers with names ending in -ov onto tonight's list. Should be an interesting night!
                      Maybe some Russian stuff there.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Maybe some Russian stuff there.
                        ... or Bulgarian. 8 of the most famous Bulgarian soccer players have surnames ending in '-ov', and I distinctly remember watching a match on TV years ago when all 11 surnames ended with those 2 letters.
                        Last edited by LMcD; 23-05-21, 21:15.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          ... or Bulgarian.
                          ... Bulgarian it is. The website for tonite has -

"Through the Night

A celebration of Bulgarian Culture and the Cyrillic Alphabet on the feast day of the brothers, Saints Cyrl and Methodius. Presented by Catriona Young."

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

I was intrigued to learn that Lars-Erik Larsson composed no less than 12 concertinos, one of which was featured on TTN an hour or so ago - I shall seek out others. I'm already familiar with his Pastoral Suite and Winter's Tale. Utterly delightful - Nordic Blanc!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Thanks, for the Lars-Erik Larsson pointer - new to me & listening / enjoying now.
                              Why does the short piano motif ~6 mins in sound familiar (is it Brahms)?

I loved your "Nordic Blanc" phrase - we also missed Svendsen's symphony no 2 because of "Happy Harmonies with Laufey".

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Switched R3 on briefly at 0515 expecting solace and....

Comment

Working...
                                X