• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
    On this morning's 'Breakfast' Petroc mentioned that in the latest Radio Times there's an article by John Shea about TTN to mark its 25th anniversary.

I happened upon it just before disposing of last week’s issue - interesting. I hadn’t realised that Donald Macleod was the TTN pioneer...

Hope this is legible:

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Thanks so much for posting ths Nick. Not only legible but has just been read! I intended to buy RT just to get this and then forgot.

I had no idea that part of the EBU deal was that the presenters' scripts were translated into the other languages. What a truly European project.

I just came across a diary note of mine from 2010 that I was listening to TTN on Austrian radio: I'd forgotten how literal that statement was!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
        I hadn’t realised that Donald Macleod was the TTN pioneer...
        Yes, indeed. Singlehandedly. I used to feel very concerned on his behalf for his social and domestic life when he had to work every night, and so - I presumed - spent a major part of the daytime asleep. And he did that for years.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Is it my imagination, or has there been an increase of late in the number of contributions from non-European artistes and ensembles?
          The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra can be heard twice, and the CBC Vancouver Orchestra once, on 3/5/2021. The Seoul Chamber Orchestra can be heard on 2/1/2021.
          Last edited by LMcD; 01-05-21, 21:21.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I happened upon it just before disposing of last week’s issue - interesting. I hadn’t realised that Donald Macleod was the TTN pioneer...

Hope this is legible:

Such a shame then that the R3 powers that be decide to celebrate it by making inroads into the time on Saturday mo4nings to deliver drivvel!

Comment

• muzzer
              • Nov 2013

This is marvellous and let’s hope it brings more listeners, obviously. Thanks Nick.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Thanks Nick - a very interesting article.

It's sad the number of countries that no longer broadcast TTN, e.g. Denmark, Norway, Ireland...
                When we lived in Denmark, I sometimes listened to P2 but my Danish was not great (problems getting the potato in my mouth).
                The Norwegian Notturno listings were interesting - they occasionally left in helpful comments from the BBC staff, e.g. "NB conductor is Kamirski not Kamiriski" or "NB PERFORMERS NOT Zilberstein/South West German PO/Altricher as in previous script/running order jlts Mar2001".

As others have said, I really hope that TTN continues and that Tearjerker etc. isn't the start of its replacement. Long live Donald Macleod.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I know there is good stuff on Through the Night but I am asleep when it's on and I tend not to think of tuning in during the day. BBC Sounds is easy to listen to on a computer or mobile but sound obviously isn't hifi and I find it fiddly to get it to play through my amp and speakers - I seem to have to go through the telly. If I do listen to it I find the most convenient way is to use the podcast section of Radio 3 via the internet which comes directly into my digital streamer. The drawback here is that it is a four hour block of sound with less convenient access to individual items.

Nonetheless, maybe this thread has nudged me into going there more often.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                    Host
                    • Jun 2018

I woke up early and Through the Night had Aldo Ciccolini playing the Moonlight sonata, in a lively 1978 recording from Dubrovnik with audience applause - I could almost have been there... Looking forward to the Telemann

Intelligent presenter, interesting information, varied selection and a few surprises - what more could you want?

(How terrible if we had gabbling/tedious presenters, no/wrong information, drivel or unpleasant shocks?)

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                      Intelligent presenter, interesting information, varied selection and a few surprises - what more could you want?
                      IMV, Jonathan Swain is one of the best presenters, if not the best, on Radio 3. Catriona Young and John Shea are excellent. But if you pay close attention to how JS uses his voice, there are wonderfully subtle inflections that keep his announcements and post-announcements interesting: and he always does both in full (ahem!). I wish he had a bigger presence on R3.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        IMV, Jonathan Swain is one of the best presenters, if not the best, on Radio 3. Catriona Young and John Shea are excellent. But if you pay close attention to how JS uses his voice, there are wonderfully subtle inflections that keep his announcements and post-announcements interesting: and he always does both in full (ahem!). I wish he had a bigger presence on R3.
                        And regrettable that he has not had a significant daytime role since the passing of the excellent CD masters, which was the last good morning offering on R3.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          Spot on!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                            • Jan 2014

Very much agree about JonathanS. And also Catriona Y and J Shea.

The axing of CD masters was one of the latter casualties along the way of the retreat from serious and authoritative content.
                            (Can't see J Swain being a natural to participate in all the self congatulatery over the top flummery and puffery which seems a basic requirement for any new presenter these days)

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                              Spot on!
                              Is this favouritism based on his membership of and occasional contributions to this forum? I too hold his presentation in high regard, however. He's a keen cyclist, to boot.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Erard Piano

There is a soloist, from the Netherlands I believe from his name, who has featured fairly often, though not very recently, on TTN playing nineteenth century works - Chopin, Schumann, Brahms et al - on an Erard from the mid-1860s IIRC. His name is eluding me, despite my online search.

Any ideas, TTN insomniacs?

Comment

Working...
                                X