X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

The concert last night: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000fws8

Wasn't expecting a latin-american influence !

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

There was an exceptional performance of LvB 3 from the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra under Davin Zinman last night. Beautiful playing, with lots of detail brought out. I chanced on it halfway through the first movement and was intrigued to know who the performers were: quite a surprise to hear the back-announcement. Thoroughly recommended.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        There was an exceptional performance of LvB 3 from the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra under Davin Zinman last night. Beautiful playing, with lots of detail brought out. I chanced on it halfway through the first movement and was intrigued to know who the performers were: quite a surprise to hear the back-announcement. Thoroughly recommended.
        It will be interesting to compare it with David Zinman's recording with the Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

24/4/20 : 02:42 AM
          Jean-Philippe Rameau (1683-1764)
          L'Apotheose de la Danse - orchestral suite of dance music by Rameau
          Les Musiciens du Louvre, Marc Minkowski (conductor)

A wonderful 40 minutes of Rameau dances, immaculately and energetically played by Les Musiciens du Louvre at the 2003 Proms. Life-affirming stuff!

(PS I thought we had a thread for Early Music on TTN but I can't find it.)

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

We've just been wished a Happy New Year by Jonathan Swain (0230 17 June). Bit of recycling going on....

Comment

• Beresford
              • Apr 2012

This mornings programme included a Dowland lute song, played by Thomas Dunford, and sung by Thomas Dunford.
              I wish more lutenists would do this - it seems to produce much better dynamics than when a separate singer is involved.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                This mornings programme included a Dowland lute song, played by Thomas Dunford, and sung by Thomas Dunford.
                I wish more lutenists would do this - it seems to produce much better dynamics than when a separate singer is involved.
                I thought Dunford’s whole ‘set’ was marvellous.... well, the latter part which I heard, and the start which I listened to today having taken the unusual step of downloading a TTN just so I can have repeat access to it over the next month (including abroad)
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Andrew
                  • Jan 2020

As life returns to normal (no I'm not about to go off on a Covid 19 related theme...) I'm driving about more and appreciating T.T.N. again. What I most like about it is the lack of "background" chatter, information about forthcoming programmes and other "chatty" stuff. I fully appreciate I'm something of a dinosaur, but being just old enough to remember the presentational style of the Third Programme and early Radio 3, that's what I want!
                  Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (RTD) Coward and Bar, currently residing in Barnet, Hertfordshire!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Tchaikovsky: Suite no 4

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                    What I most like about it is the lack of "background" chatter, information about forthcoming programmes and other "chatty" stuff.

Tchaikovsky: Suite no 4 in G major, Op 61 "Mozartiana"
                    On what Mozart original is the variations movement based?

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Tchaikovsky: Suite no 4 in G major, Op 61 "Mozartiana"
                      On what Mozart original is the variations movement based?
                      K455 Variations onntheme by Gluck

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Many thanks Cloughie! It would never have ocurred to me to look on Wiki...!

Comment

• Quarky
                          • Dec 2010

Voces Suaves and Cafebaum

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

This concert, a mix of the old and new - Bach and Loher, worked for me, probably because Sylvan Loher is quite melodic in his compositions.

Don't know a great deal about current vocal work composers, but he seems to fit in the MacMillan/ Taverner/Rutter league. He might be of interest to New Music Show adherents.
                          Last edited by Quarky; 08-08-20, 09:37.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

"MacMillan/ Taverner/Rutter league"/"New Music Show adherents". Not an association I would expect to encounter that often.

Comment

• edashtav
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              "MacMillan/ Taverner/Rutter league"/"New Music Show adherents". Not an association I would expect to encounter that often.
                              Sylvan Loher is a young Swiss composer and poet who turned to music when he first encountered Grieg as a child. He studied music in Basle. That he now lives in Oslo may suggest that Grieg's lyricism still informs his compositions.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

We suddenly seem to be having a new presenter every week, as opposed to, previously, one for three weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X