X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    "Mahler's colossal Symphony No 1". That's how it is referred to in the TtN listing for last night. Is this an attempt to get around the misnaming of it as "Titan"?
    If the 1st is 'colossal', what are the 3rd and 8th?

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

[...]the misnaming of it as "Titan"?
      IIRC, Catriona introduced it saying that Mahler had initially given it that name and later withdrew it. (I haven't checked anywhere.)

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        IIRC, Catriona introduced it saying that Mahler had initially given it that name and later withdrew it. (I haven't checked anywhere.)
        The five movement Symphonic Poem in Two Parts, 'Titan', four movements of which Mahler reorchestrated to create his 1st Symphony, is where the soubtequet belongs. He did not carry it over to the four-movement 1st Symphony. There are now a few recordings of the five-movement 'Titan' to be had, including at least one using the fairly recent critical edition. The 'Blumine' movement, which Mahler did not carry forward to the 1st Symphony, even predates 'Titan'.

[E&OE - sent from mobile phone.]

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

The five movement Symphonic Poem in Two Parts, 'Titan', four movements of which Mahler reorchestrated to create his 1st Symphony, is where the soubtequet belongs. He did not carry it over to the four-movement 1st Symphony. There are now a few recordings of the five-movement 'Titan' to be had, including at least one using the fairly recent critical edition. The 'Blumine' movement, which Mahler did not carry forward to the 1st Symphony, even predates 'Titan'.

[E&OE - sent from mobile phone.]
          Very helpful Bryn - thank you. All that is news to me; I'd never heard of the five-movement symphonic poem, although I know and like the Blumine movement, which has sometimes been bolted on to the symphony.

I have reposted this post of yours on the Mahler 1 thread where the same question had cropped up.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Tonight's TtN lists the Novosibirsk Symphony Orchestra as the ensemble playing the opening works. However, Googling "Novosibirsk Symphony Orchestra" and Nagano (the cited conductor) fails to provide any positive results. Indeed, the only association of Nagano with a Novosibirsk Orchestra that is thrown up is the Novosibirsk Philharmonic Orchestra. I look forward with some trepidation to whether the situation is clarified by member Swain.
            Last edited by Bryn; 01-08-19, 11:00. Reason: Typos

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

A very pleasant way to spend an evening far from the madding crowd.

Tuesday 30 July
              12:31 AM
              Camille Saint-Saens (1835-1921)
              La Muse et le poète, Op 132
              Mi-Sa Yang (violin), David Cohen (cello), Nino Gvetadze (piano)

12:47 AM
              Claude Debussy (1862-1918), Pierre Louys (author)
              Chansons de Bilitis
              Jeni Packalen (narrator*), Niamh McKenna (flute), Kaisa Kortelainen (flute), Lior Ouziel (harp), Juhani Lagerspetz (celesta)
              [ed.] * in Finnish (I think) and sounded wonderfully musical.

01:07 AM
              Hector Berlioz (1803-1869)
              Rêverie et caprice, Op 8
              Jehye Lee (violin), Dasol Kim (piano)

01:16 AM
              Lili Boulanger (1893-1918), Charles Grandmougin (author)
              Les Sirènes
              Atta Ensemble, Sophie Klussmann (soprano), Victoire Bunel (mezzo soprano), Matilda Karkkainen (piano)
              Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want
              Last edited by doversoul1; 04-08-19, 10:09.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post

12:47 AM
                Claude Debussy (1862-1918), Pierre Louys (author)
                Chansons de Bilitis
                Jeni Packalen (narrator*), Niamh McKenna (flute), Kaisa Kortelainen (flute), Lior Ouziel (harp), Juhani Lagerspetz (celesta)
                [ed.] * in Finnish (I think) and sounded wonderfully musical.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007558
                Yes, a Finnish translation. This is at least the second time this recording has been on TtN, and on both occasions 'Swainee' has wrongly introduced it as the Trois Chansons de Bilitis. My understanding is that the work (with the recitation in the original French) was only performed once during the composer's lifetime and that the celesta part did not survive. It was originally reconstructed by Boulez in the 1940s, though other reconstructions have been made in the interim. Brilliant Classics released an interesting CD of three works with closely related material, i.e. this work, the Trois Chansons and the Six Epiprams Antiques, plus the original version of Syrinx (with recitation):

Last edited by Bryn; 04-10-19, 10:11. Reason: Oops. Brilliant Classics, not Naxos.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Did anyone hear the excellent performance of the B minor Mass at the start of last night/this morning's Through the Night. Well worth hearing:

Bach B Minor Mass performed by Balthasar Neumann Chorus Neumann Chorus & B'Rock Orchestra.
                  Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 09-09-19, 11:06.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• doversoul1
                    Ex Member
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Did anyone hear the excellent performance of the B minor Mass at the start of last night/this morning's Through the Night. Well worth hearing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00089nh
                    I did. It really was excellent.
                    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 09-09-19, 11:08.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

NOT(T) Six Pieces for Chamber Orchestra, Op 6

Webern made a reduction for chamber orchestra comprising flute, oboe, clarinet, string quintet, percussion, harmonium, piano in 1920. This is not what was broadcast. What we heard was the 1928 version for orchestra (a smaller ensemble than that for the original 1909 version for "large orchestra" but not the chamber version). Why can't the Radio 3 folk get such simple things right? I was really looking forward to hearing Nott conduct the 1920 chamber version.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

12:31 am
                        Romeo and Juliet, Op 17, dramatic symphony
                        Julie Boulianne (mezzo soprano), Paul Appleby (tenor), Alastair Miles (bass), Berlin Radio Chorus, German Symphony Orchestra Berlin, Robin Ticciati (conductor)

I guess this is rarely heard - I'm not even sure that I'd previously heard of it! - so this may be a useful source for Berlioz fans. It's an odd mix of orchestral symphonic music, solo voice and chorus. Truncated, sleepy listening (and over 90 minutes) - but it was instantly recognisable as Berlioz.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

12:31 am
                          Romeo and Juliet, Op 17, dramatic symphony
                          Julie Boulianne (mezzo soprano), Paul Appleby (tenor), Alastair Miles (bass), Berlin Radio Chorus, German Symphony Orchestra Berlin, Robin Ticciati (conductor)

I guess this is rarely heard - I'm not even sure that I'd previously heard of it! - so this may be a useful source for Berlioz fans. It's an odd mix of orchestral symphonic music, solo voice and chorus. Truncated, sleepy listening (and over 90 minutes) - but it was instantly recognisable as Berlioz.
                          JEGgers did the whole work at the Proms three years ago, kernel.

Terrific work - so original in its structural concept that it still confuses people whose ideas about what a work with "Symphony" in its title should "do" aren't as up-to-date as Hector's .

Thanks for the Thumbs up - I shall seek out its delights on the i-Player.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... the Gardiner Roméo et Juliette recording is nice - but I wdn't want to be without Monteux. (I wdn't want to be without the Munch, Inbal, Muti either... )

Terrific work, as ferney says.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              ...so original in its structural concept that it still confuses people whose ideas about what a work with "Symphony" in its title should "do" aren't as up-to-date as Hector's....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

I didn't intend the naughty comment to apply to you, kernel

Comment

Working...
                                X