• Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    This morning, just before Breakfast:
    06:02 AM
    Christoph Ernst Friedrich Weyse (1774-1842)
    Symphony No.6 in C minor
    Danish Radio Concert Orchestra, Adám Fischer (conductor)

I had never heard of Weyse. John said that (like Kuhlau) he was a German expat in Denmark. I thought the symphony a good piece, Adam Fischer giving it plenty of wellie. Such experiences always bring the thought how much better this composer might be known now if he had not had the (relative) misfortune to be a contemporary of a musical giant like Beethoven.
    If all composers were as well know as Bach and Beethoven, we would have no excitement of discoveries and I think that is one of the elements that makes TTN so enjoyable.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
      If all composers were as well know as Bach and Beethoven, we would have no excitement of discoveries and I think that is one of the elements that makes TTN so enjoyable.
      I quite agree, DS, but I wonder if old Weyse ever felt like the chap who had thought of the theory of evolution at the same time as Darwin, but failed to publish.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

I quite agree, DS, but I wonder if old Weyse ever felt like the chap who had thought of the theory of evolution at the same time as Darwin, but failed to publish.
        ... this fella?

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          Thanks, Vints, that's who I meant. But my metaphor didn't quite work, for several reasons, one of which is that clearly Weyse is not in the same league as Beethoven , whereas Russel Wallace....

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Thanks, Vints, that's who I meant. But my metaphor didn't quite work, for several reasons, one of which is that clearly Weyse is not in the same league as Beethoven , whereas Russel Wallace....
            Oh, I’m sure it never occurred to Herr Weyse that the fame of one Ludwig van Beethoven would grow and grow while his name would be forgotten. And we never know. One day he may be as famous as that other once forgotten composer, Vivaldi.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

British Music: Friday 26 April

This looks interesting.

British music performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra, including a violin concerto by Arthur Bliss and a clarinet concerto by John Dankworth. With John Shea.
              12:31 AM
              Matthew Curtis (b.1959)
              A Festival Overture
              BBC Concert Orchestra, Gavin Sutherland (conductor)
              12:36 AM
              John Dankworth (1927-2010)
              Clarinet Concerto - The Woolwich
              Emma Johnson (clarinet), BBC Concert Orchestra, Philip Ellis (conductor)
              12:55 AM
              Hubert Clifford (1904-1959)
              Dargo: A Mountain Rhapsody
              BBC Concert Orchestra, Ronald Corp (conductor)
              01:10 AM
              Arthur Bliss (1891-1975)
              Violin Concerto
              Lorraine McAslan (violin), BBC Concert Orchestra, Martin Yates (conductor)

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

This looks interesting.

British music performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra, including a violin concerto by Arthur Bliss and a clarinet concerto by John Dankworth. With John Shea.
                Matthew Curtis (b.1959)
                A Festival Overture
                Arthur Bliss (1891-1975)
                Violin Concerto
                https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004dt1
                Thanks DS, definitely one to catch up on .
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LezLee
                  • Apr 2019

Something I enjoyed last Sunday night was Walter Braunfels - Sinfonia Brevis. Never heard of him before but I might explore a little further.

Walter Braunfels (Frankfurt am Main, 1882 - Cologne, 1954)Sinfonia Brevis in F minor, Op. 69 (1948) Movements: 1. Allegro non troppo (0:00)2. Adagio ma non t...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                    Something I enjoyed last Sunday night was Walter Braunfels - Sinfonia Brevis. Never heard of him before but I might explore a little further.
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IyK-tvfez6g
                    - I recommend this recording of Braunfels' The BirdsLL:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Might be useful/interesting.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Edgy 2
                        • Jan 2019

This looks interesting.

Matthew Curtis (b.1959)
                        A Festival Overture
                        Arthur Bliss (1891-1975)
                        Violin Concerto
                        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004dt1

And the very short but beautiful Serenade by Warlock later in the programme
                        “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

A terrific performance of Mahler 9 (2003) last night by the Oslo Philharmonic under the baton of the late Maestro Previn.

Well introduced by Jonathan - 'We're starting with Death' [IIRC!]....

The final excruciating bars were repeatedly laced with racking Norwegian coughs, as though the Grim Reaper were stalking the auditorium. It took the edge off a fine performance, but I couldn't do other than laugh out loud at the irony....

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

A terrific performance of Mahler 9 (2003) last night by the Oslo Philharmonic under the baton of the late Maestro Previn.

Well introduced by Jonathan - 'We're starting with Death' [IIRC!]....

The final excruciating bars were repeatedly laced with racking Norwegian coughs, as though the Grim Reaper were stalking the auditorium. It took the edge off a fine performance, but I couldn't do other than laugh out loud at the irony....
                            I must have a listen on iplayer. I don’t think Previn recorded much Mahler - a good 4th with the Pittsburgh and Elly Ameling is the only one methinks.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              I must have a listen on iplayer. I don’t think Previn recorded much Mahler - a good 4th with the Pittsburgh and Elly Ameling is the only one methinks.
                              I will be interested in your verdict. Admittedly it was on at 0030 - c0140, and I am struggling with insomnia atm; but the previous movements sounded good to me, suitably 'demonic' IIRC. Admittedly, too, Previn doesn't come to mind first as a Mahlerian. Hang onto your hat in the coda of IV though!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Mahler 2

Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)
                                Symphony no. 2 in C minor (Resurrection) for soprano, alto, chorus and orchestra
                                Bernarda Fink (mezzo soprano), Martina Jankova (soprano), NFM Chorus, Polish National Youth Chorus, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Katowice, Leonard Slatkin (conductor)

I thought this a terrific performance, albeit rather poor sound, which reminded me, in Slatkin's dynamics, of an unforgettable performance under Lorin Maazel at the RAH, I think (cannot remember orchestra or date, others may) which sealed forever my opinion of this work as one of the very greatest symphonies.

Worth a listen and I hope some Mahler fans will do so and comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X