Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

I always feel that live concerts, or recorded concerts, are the best offerings on Radio 3. Sometimes a recorded concert from somewhere in Europe can be found embedded in the programming of TTN. Some of these are particularly good; and it can be an interesting challenge to find the details of the original concert somewhere on the internet. Last night there was a recital by the Brentano String Quartet, playing Schubert's quartet movement D703 and his last quartet D887, surrounding Britten's third quartet. I have been re-listening to this on the iplayer, and greatly enjoying it. They play with great clarity and rhythmic impulse. I did not know D887 well; it is astonishing music. The concert was in March 2010, in Geneva; see this link http://owl-ge.ch/arts-scenes/spip.php?article1686 . They also played the same programme at various venues in America, for instance here http://calperformances.org/learn/pro...n_brentano.pdf . I am always particularly pleased to find these sorts of gems in TTN.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
      Quite sure. No mention of the location, or the date. I find that is rather common in TTN broadcasts of concerts, and I rather regret that they don't give this information.
      I believe that the format, shared with other stations, offers strictly a limited time for announcements and back announcements, which might lead to tough choices for the presenter about what information to include.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Quite sure. No mention of the location, or the date. I find that is rather common in TTN broadcasts of concerts, and I rather regret that they don't give this information.
        I believe that the format, shared with other stations, offers strictly a limited time for announcements and back announcements, which might lead to tough choices for the presenter about what information to include.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          But srely this could be included in the R3 schedules on line!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Last night there was a recital by the Brentano String Quartet, playing Schubert's quartet movement D703 and his last quartet D887, surrounding Britten's third quartet. I have been re-listening to this on the iplayer, and greatly enjoying it. They play with great clarity and rhythmic impulse. I did not know D887 well; it is astonishing music.
            I heard parts of this too, between drifting off, and would very much like to hear it again, but am unable to locate the podcast. Can anybody help??

Comment

• David-G
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I heard parts of this too, between drifting off, and would very much like to hear it again, but am unable to locate the podcast. Can anybody help??
              SA, you will find it on the iplayer, at the beginning of TTN in the early morning of 11/09/2012. The details of the schedule is given here:

Susan Sharpe with a concert of Schubert and Britten given by the Brentano String Quartet.

from 12.31 am to 2.05 am, with the link to click on. (This includes the rather fine encore from "The Art of Fugue".)

There is a rather amazing piece by Rebel, which was new to me, immediately afterwards.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

SA, you will find it on the iplayer, at the beginning of TTN in the early morning of 11/09/2012. The details of the schedule is given here:

Susan Sharpe with a concert of Schubert and Britten given by the Brentano String Quartet.

from 12.31 am to 2.05 am, with the link to click on. (This includes the rather fine encore from "The Art of Fugue".)

There is a rather amazing piece by Rebel, which was new to me, immediately afterwards.
                Many thanks, David-G!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Not to be missed! Tomorrow morning (in less than 2 hours) three RCO archive recordings:

12:31 AM
                  Stravinsky, Igor (1882-1971)
                  Symphony of Psalms (1930 revised 1948)
                  Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Royal Concertgebouw Choir, Colin Davis (conductor)

12:51 AM
                  Webern, Anton (1883-1945)
                  Five Pieces for Orchestra (Op.10)
                  Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Carlo Maria Giulini (conductor)

12:56 AM
                  Nielsen, Carl (1865-1931)
                  Symphony no.5 (Op.50)
                  Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Kirill Kondrashin (conductor)

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Not to be missed! Tomorrow morning (in less than 2 hours) three RCO archive recordings:

12:31 AM
                    Stravinsky, Igor (1882-1971)
                    Symphony of Psalms (1930 revised 1948)
                    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Royal Concertgebouw Choir, Colin Davis (conductor)

12:51 AM
                    Webern, Anton (1883-1945)
                    Five Pieces for Orchestra (Op.10)
                    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Carlo Maria Giulini (conductor)

12:56 AM
                    Nielsen, Carl (1865-1931)
                    Symphony no.5 (Op.50)
                    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Kirill Kondrashin (conductor)
                    IIRC all made before the Concertgebouw Orchestra became Royal, pre 1988 therefore

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      IIRC all made before the Concertgebouw Orchestra became Royal, pre 1988 therefore
                      Ah, but they still come from the RCO archive.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Ah, but they still come from the RCO archive.
                        More likely from the central sound archive of the Dutch broadcasting organisations in Hilversum, as that is from where the RCO borrows the recordings of broadcasts [live or otherwise] they themselves (re-)issue, as the orchestra obviously possesses the commerial copyrights (but not the broadcasting rights however, and even vetoing a broadcast is a near impossibillity).

This obviously does not apply to the newly made recordings on the own RCO label, whoever the production team may be. Nowadays most of the time they are radio producers/technicians, formerly often the Decca team, but with the departure of Chailly the RCO has no commercial contract with any record company any more- following the demise of the Philips-label.
                        (And that's why the Gewandhaus now appears on the Decca label: Chailly's contract with Decca).

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Quite. Probably the programmes are pre recorded though. The playing order can be different in different countries. Countries which are 1 hour ahead of the UK seem to start about 1 hour in, then work through, and finally tack the first hour in right at the end.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

I'm listening to TTN live, Jonathan at the microphone, in a spell of insomnia. Switching from the BBC HD feed, because of long and frequent dropouts, to the iTunes HD feed (thanks to JLW for the tip) I'm astonished to hear a completely unfamiliar, female English voice doing the links.

Does anyone have an explanation? Know where iTunes takes its Radio 3 from?

Edit: Turns out to be someone called Nicola Hall: nice voice, excellent pronunciation of foreign languages and names.
                            Last edited by kernelbogey; 28-09-12, 04:35.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

I'm listening to TTN live, Jonathan at the microphone, in a spell of insomnia. Switching from the BBC HD feed, because of long and frequent dropouts, to the iTunes HD feed (thanks to JLW for the tip) I'm astonished to hear a completely unfamiliar, female English voice doing the links.

Does anyone have an explanation? Know where iTunes takes its Radio 3 from?

Edit: Turns out to be someone called Nicola Hall: nice voice, excellent pronunciation of foreign languages and names.
                              I must have dozed off for the transition between 2-hour slots, and she took over from Jonathan for one of the slots, as they sometimes (confusingly) do. The excellent Nicola is now a TTN presenter, evidently. I don't know if that means that John or Susan have gone. Anybody spotted what's happening with the presenters?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

I don't know if that means that John or Susan have gone. Anybody spotted what's happening with the presenters?
                                The information on the Through the Night details on the i-Player website suggests that John, Susan and Jonathan are all still associated with the programme.

Continuous broadcast of concert music and opera, recorded from locations throughout Europe

... but frequent messages on the Forum have pointed out how unreliable the website is. Best hope is that Ms Hall is joining the excellent regulars rather than replacing any of them.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X