X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

The delights of TTN!

On 12 March 2024, a piece by Mozart I'd not only never heard, but hadn't heard of:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) Litaniae Lauretanae (K.195)

And a composer quite new to me

Giuseppe Maria Cambini (1746-1825) Sinfonia Concertante in C minor​

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

K195 is indeed wonderful, and considering its quality, little-known. As for Cambini, apparently he wrote 144 string quartets! I know only one, but it is lovely, so presumably the others are at least worth hearing:surely a good candidate for Composer of the Week?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        The delights of TTN!
        On 12 March 2024, a piece by Mozart I'd not only never heard, but hadn't heard of:
        And a composer quite new to me
        Giuseppe Maria Cambini (1746-1825) Sinfonia Concertante in C minor​
        New to me as well - thanks for pointing them out.

Not sure if it helps, but the Cambini looks to be from a 2022 concert that featured on TTN "Pietro Nardini and his contemporaries" in July 2023.
        The RTS broadcast of the concert is available to hear here (avec un Toblerone gratuit​ ).

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Didn't hear TTN (asleep), so thanks for the nudge. I remembered a 1971 recording I had by Neville Marriner with Academy of St. Martin and Schola Cantorum of Oxford (chorus master Andrew Parrott) which I've just enjoyed listening to again. Good solo work from Ileana Cotrubas (lovely), Helen Watts, Robert Tear, John Shirley-Quirk. It's on a very recommendable Decca Twofer of Mozart Vespers and Litanies.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            K195 is indeed wonderful, and considering its quality, little-known.
            There are at least two performances on YouTube. The point is, you won't find it on YouTube unless you set out to look for it (which you won't do if you've never heard of it). The educational value of R3 is that it brings such works to your attention.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

Didn't hear TTN (asleep), so thanks for the nudge. I remembered a 1971 recording I had by Neville Marriner with Academy of St. Martin and Schola Cantorum of Oxford (chorus master Andrew Parrott) which I've just enjoyed listening to again. Good solo work from Ileana Cotrubas (lovely), Helen Watts, Robert Tear, John Shirley-Quirk. It's on a very recommendable Decca Twofer of Mozart Vespers and Litanies.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                The educational value of R3 is that it brings such works to your attention.
                And as someone wrote on the Forum, (probably you, FF!) there was a time in the good old days when you could turn R3 on at any time, confident of hearing something you'd be pleased to hear.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

And as someone wrote on the Forum, (probably you, FF!) there was a time in the good old days when you could turn R3 on at any time, confident of hearing something you'd be pleased to hear.
                  ... ah, but that's a tricky one, 'pleased to hear'. It may be that more people wd be 'pleased to hear' Karl Jenkins - Einaudi - Taylor Swift - than wd be pleased to hear Dunstable - Froberger - Morton Feldman. But I wd hope that a serious Radio 3 wd privilege the latter grouping of less-immediately-appealing (?) over the former...

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... ah, but that's a tricky one, 'pleased to hear'. It may be that more people wd be 'pleased to hear' Karl Jenkins - Einaudi - Taylor Swift - than wd be pleased to hear Dunstable - Froberger - Morton Feldman.
                    But the point I was making (if indeed it was me, and if it wasn't it's what I would say) is that whatever time you turned on R3 it would be something that you would be interested to hear. So if all the Swifties that were pleased to hear T Swift on R3 would be just as interested to hear CotW, the EMS, the New Music Show, the evening concert etc then I would hope that would be enough to keep them listening, even if T Swift didn't figure at all..
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

But the point I was making (if indeed it was me, and if it wasn't it's what I would say) is that whatever time you turned on R3 it would be something that you would be interested to hear. ll..
                      ... but that's all predicated on who 'you' are. Me, I'm a frobergerphile. But there are more Taylor Swiftophiles than frobergerphiles, obvs. So more people wd be inclined to listen if it was walterwall Swiftiestuff rather than 17th cent. déplorations...

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

... but that's all predicated on who 'you' are. Me, I'm a frobergerphile. But there are more Taylor Swiftophiles than frobergerphiles, obvs. So more people wd be inclined to listen if it was walterwall Swiftiestuff rather than 17th cent. déplorations...

I think that's a different argument. Yes, if the entire 24 hours were given over to Swiftie music, it would get more listeners than if it was 24 hours of Froberger. The point was that Radio 3 put on a varied scheudle of music and speech programmes and it was something about their uniform level at that time that made all/most of the programmes of interest to one listener (in this case, moi).

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

I think that's a different argument. Yes, if the entire 24 hours were given over to Swiftie music, it would get more listeners than if it was 24 hours of Froberger. The point was that Radio 3 put on a varied scheudle of music and speech programmes and it was something about their uniform level at that time that made all/most of the programmes of interest to one listener (in this case, moi).
                          ... 'one listener'

o, moi aussi.

But I know I'm in a (tiny) minority. I'm happy with that : but we can't use the argument that 'when turning in to Radio 3 we cd be confident of hearing something we wd be pleased to hear' without defining who 'we' are and accepting that that 'we' is not a majority of radio listeners.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

..But I know I'm in a (tiny) minority. I'm happy with that : but we can't use the argument that 'when turning in to Radio 3 we cd be confident of hearing something we wd be pleased to hear' without defining who 'we' are and accepting that that 'we' is not a majority of radio listeners.
                            But the majority of radio listeners aren't listening to R3 in the first place: they're listening to Rs 1.2 and 4. The BBC (bewilderingly) seems to think R3 should appeal to a wide range of listeners by having bits of this and that so that 'everyone will find a bit of something they like'. That is:

a) not having a vision at all as to what Radio 3 is "for", the areas which it should cover, and

b) the 'something for everyone doesn't apply to, for instance, R1, R2, R IXtra, 6 Music which have nothing for me, par exemple.

A while back, when they ran a promotional campaign for R3 over television ("Step into our world"), I found the online discussion with the PR agency people who were running it. They tried to define the 'kind of listener' who R3 might appeal to: people who went to art galleries and museums, who went to the theatre, who read books; people obviously interested in the general arts but who, for some reason, had never engaged with classical music. That isn't the 'a bit of something for everyone' kind of approach. It's covering a wide range of the general arts much of which would be calculated to appeal to the same audience.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

... 'one listener'

o, moi aussi.

But I know I'm in a (tiny) minority. I'm happy with that : but we can't use the argument that 'when turning in to Radio 3 we cd be confident of hearing something we wd be pleased to hear' without defining who 'we' are and accepting that that 'we' is not a majority of radio listeners.
                              It could however constitute a sizeable proportion of the general population were french frank's uniform level, or more informed standard of broadcasting than today's, still be in being. I would go as far as saying that the standard of discussion on matters musical and artistic in general on this forum, at its best, probably owes something of value to that vanishing standard, and the knowledge and critical thinking gained therefrom.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                I would go as far as saying that the standard of discussion on matters musical and artistic in general on this forum, at its best, probably owes something of value to that vanishing standard, and the knowledge and critical thinking gained therefrom.

Comment

Working...
                                X