• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Switched R3 on briefly at 0515 expecting solace and....
    You would have caught the end of Janacek's Pohadka for cello and piano in happier times...

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      You would have caught the end of Janacek's Pohadka for cello and piano in happier times...
      The 'music' I caught for 15 seconds was just awful - to my taste - and it was so disapointing not to have heard something classical. I resent this incursion into R3, feel sad and angry about it.

(Aunt Daisy, I like your little 'campaign' btw.)

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

The 'music' I caught for 15 seconds was just awful - to my taste - and it was so disapointing not to have heard something classical. I resent this incursion into R3, feel sad and angry about it.

(Aunt Daisy, I like your little 'campaign' btw.)
        I'm happy to say that I've succeeded in giving up being sad and angry, but I might occasionally shrug my shoulders in the French manner - so much more elegant than rolling one's eyes!

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Yes, and I fear Night Tracks is being turned into a Late Junction poor relation too.
          Box ticking by R3 editors in advance of Charter Review?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            I'm happy to say that I've succeeded in giving up being sad and angry, but I might occasionally shrug my shoulders in the French manner - so much more elegant than rolling one's eyes!
            Yes, definitely more elegant, but I'm not great at shrugging (dodgy shoulder)...
            Perhaps we need a R3 "gilets jaunes"-esque revolt? Hordes of irate R3 listeners clad in hand-tooled leather Radio Times covers?
            Free the TTN 2 (hours)!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              Shrugging very much allowed - save a couple for Lizzie’s Croissant Corner which can be be a pain!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Shrugging very much allowed - save a couple for Lizzie’s Croissant Corner which can be be a pain!
                What, even au chocolat?

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

I’ve raisin to believe so!

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    There's a CROISSANT CORNER? I would ask for suggestions as to how this could be developed were I not afraid that somebody associated with the programme might actually read, and adopt, some of them.

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

A bright, sparkling and inventive TTN last night, more or less throughout. Is it the festival season which seems to raise the game of R3 programmes?

Constantin Régamey ::Quintet for clarinet, bassoon, violin, cello and piano :: an unknown gem for me. 12 tone technique, and composed after he fled Warsaw, in 1944.
                      Last edited by Quarky; 10-08-21, 10:26.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                        A bright, sparkling and inventive TTN last night, more or less throughout. Is it the festival season which seems to raise the game of R3 programmes?

Constantin Régamey ::Quintet for clarinet, bassoon, violin, cello and piano :: an unknown gem for me. 12 tone technique, and composed after he fled Warsaw, in 1944.
                        I caught that too - listening blind, I seriously wondered, who could this be by?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post

Since TTN relies wholly on broadcasts of live music from its 'contributing' stations, and others, I guess there's been a bit of a dearth of exciting new material in the last 17 months. Having said that, I find TTN constantly rewarding, and for me the best thing on the station.

I missed the Regamey, but may seek it out. There's often a rara avis about in the early hours.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

This jolly flute concerto, by a supposed pupil of Vivaldi, cheered my early morning. John Shea suggested that his music had featured before on TTN, but it has passed me by. Collegium Marianum have championed Jiranek, and recorded him commercially, he said.

04:53 AM
                            Frantisek Jiranek (1698-1778)
                            Flute Concerto in G major
                            Jana Semeradova (flute), Collegium Marianum, Jana Semeradova (artistic director)

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

This jolly flute concerto, by a supposed pupil of Vivaldi, cheered my early morning. John Shea suggested that his music had featured before on TTN, but it has passed me by. Collegium Marianum have championed Jiranek, and recorded him commercially, he said.

04:53 AM
                              Frantisek Jiranek (1698-1778)
                              Flute Concerto in G major
                              Jana Semeradova (flute), Collegium Marianum, Jana Semeradova (artistic director)
                              New to me as well -thanks kernelbogey for pointing it out.

JS is right, Collegium Marianum have appeared several times (TTN search or wider Radio 3)
                              There was also an Early Music Show with Les Muffatti performing Oboe Concerto in B flat & Flute Concerto in G.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Les Illuminations by Britten sung by Julia Bullock.
                                I thought that I knew this for tenor or baritone: is there an alternative version, or am I getting mixed up with the Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings?

Edit: Wiki provides the answer:
                                The cycle was originally written for a soprano; Britten's biographer David Matthews comments that the work is "so much more sensuous when sung by the soprano voice for which the songs were conceived".[1] Nevertheless the work can be, and more often is, sung by a tenor: Britten conducted the piece with Peter Pears as soloist within two years of the premiere.
                                Last edited by kernelbogey; 10-10-21, 12:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X