X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    Just been listening, and then found your post: I agree! I’m a bit of a piano quintet junkie and this is a good ‘un. Just re-listening to the latter movements - if you’d told me during the slower sections that it was an undiscovered Fauré quintet (and there’s no higher praise than that), I’d have been tempted to believe you. More of a debt to Schumann in the faster music.

I’ll be listening again whilst it remains available.
    There are a couple of performances on YouTube.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Good tip, ta
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Just been listening, and then found your post: I agree! I’m a bit of a piano quintet junkie and this is a good ‘un. Just re-listening to the latter movements - if you’d told me during the slower sections that it was an undiscovered Fauré quintet (and there’s no higher praise than that), I’d have been tempted to believe you. More of a debt to Schumann in the faster music.

I see there’s a new release of the Stanford Piano Quintet played , perhaps surprisingly, by members of the Berlin Rundfunk Orch and
        Nicolaus Resa - rather well really (so far )

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

11 May 2021: 01:21 AM (@50.55)
          Anton Bruckner (1824-1896)
          Volksfest [1878 finale to Symphony no.4]
          Estonian National Symphony Orchestra, Neeme Jarvi (conductor)

The original finale of Bruckner IV

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

This may be its first outing (but hopefully not the last), although the 3rd movement looks to have been on before.
            Thanks for the Fauré quintet recommendations - I think the second was on recently, I'll hunt it out.

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Thanks for that & with score. There is a CD (complete with magnificent moustache), but it's rather expensive.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

What's happening to "Through the Night" on iPlayer / Sounds?
              The most recent Bruckner 5 has an interruption ~1:06:01 with a lady discussing China! Really jarring!!!!!
              And Monday's Barber's Violin Concerto & Mendelssohn 4 is missing the first few minutes.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                What's happening to "Through the Night" on iPlayer / Sounds?
                The most recent Bruckner 5 has an interruption ~1:06:01 with a lady discussing China! Really jarring!!!!!
                And Monday's Barber's Violin Concerto & Mendelssohn 4 is missing the first few minutes.
                Have you contacted the TtN team or the Sounds admin about it? Such problems do sometimes get resolved after a few days.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Have you contacted the TtN team or the Sounds admin about it? Such problems do sometimes get resolved after a few days.
                  I have contacted iPlayer / Sounds in the past, but they've made it fairly tedious to report problems (what OS, how accessed, colour of eyes, grandmother's maiden name...).

In the past they've been quite fast to respond, but for a 2019 3 hour "Early Music Show" special Al-Andalus!, they cut off the introduction and, after I complained, restored it the day after it expired - but did send an apologetic e-mail.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

I have contacted iPlayer / Sounds in the past, but they've made it fairly tedious to report problems (what OS, how accessed, colour of eyes, grandmother's maiden name...).

In the past they've been quite fast to respond, but for a 2019 3 hour "Early Music Show" special Al-Andalus!, they cut off the introduction and, after I complained, restored it the day after it expired - but did send an apologetic e-mail.
                    This is one reason I am happy to use get_iplayer. The missing sections of some programmes on BBC Sounds are often to be found at the end of the preceding programme or, respectively, at the start of the programme which follows the one of interest. There is usually quite an overlap. Capturing the Sounds files with get_iplayer, then extracting the aac file using something like Yamb (freeware) then non-destructively editing with mp3directcut (also freeware) makes it possible to reconstruct the whole of the desired programme. In extracting the aac files, you lose all the metadata but that's no great loss when you have the programme you were after. Just remember you are supposed to delete it after the BBC's time limit expires. As it happens, get_iplayer will remind you of this requirement. It can't help with cock-ups like the China discussion, of course. That was probably down to someone carelessly leaning on a switch.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                      Host
                      • Jun 2018

This is one reason I am happy to use get_iplayer. The missing sections of some programmes on BBC Sounds are often to be found at the end of the preceding programme or, respectively, at the start of the programme which follows the one of interest. There is usually quite an overlap. Capturing the Sounds files with get_iplayer, then extracting the aac file using something like Yamb (freeware) then non-destructively editing with mp3directcut (also freeware) makes it possible to reconstruct the whole of the desired programme. In extracting the aac files, you lose all the metadata but that's no great loss when you have the programme you were after. Just remember you are supposed to delete it after the BBC's time limit expires. As it happens, get_iplayer will remind you of this requirement. It can't help with cock-ups like the China discussion, of course. That was probably down to someone carelessly leaning on a switch.
                      Re. get_iplayer.
                      "You might think that... I couldn’t possibly comment."

I need to check an off-air for the broken Bruckner - it's possible it was a transmission error, in which case will they fix it?

The best iPlayer / Sounds mix-up was with Nick Dear's "Pure Science" on 4 extra - as a tribute to Patrick Troughton, but they broadcast the sections out of order & the play made no sense (e.g. Perkins murdered part way through, only to reappear hale and hearty later on).
                      I recorded the play on tape when it was first broadcast in 1983 and also had the script, so pointed out the error - only to be told I was wrong!
                      After persevering with the complaint, they finally agreed... but the next attempt at reassembly on Sounds was also wrong (they'd picked a different "random" place to start).
                      It was only when I contacted someone directly at the BBC and included a scan of the first page of the script that they finally fixed it and included a "This programme has been edited since broadcast" announcement at the beginning.
                      As Elizabeth Spriggs says at the beginning of the play "Talk, talk, talk. Blooming talk"...

It's great that 4 extra broadcast so many old plays from the Archives - long may it continue!
                      Last edited by AuntDaisy; 12-05-21, 17:58.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Spot the deliberate mistake in Radio Times for last Monday's TTN: 6.19 Haydn Piano Sonata for Piano, H XVI 27.

You'd think some algorhythm would alert the perpetrator.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Spot the deliberate mistake in Radio Times for last Monday's TTN: 6.19 Haydn Piano Sonata for Piano, H XVI 27.

You'd think some algorhythm would alert the perpetrator.
                          Yes, "Keyboard Sonata. H XVI 27 played on piano" maybe?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks for the Fauré quintet recommendations - I think the second was on recently, I'll hunt it out.
                            There’s been an exceptional performance of No 2 with Shai Wosner and friends on R3 recently, ditto No 1 with Tom Poster and friends - sadly though, neither recently enough to be available on iPlayer...

I’ve been listening to this lovely recording a lot lately:

There are several other excellent ones of course: Domus on Hyperion, Cristina Ortiz & the Fine Arts Quartet on Naxos, the Mozart Piano Quartet & friends on MDG ....
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

There’s been an exceptional performance of No 2 with Shai Wosner and friends on R3 recently, ditto No 1 with Tom Poster and friends - sadly though, neither recently enough to be available on iPlayer...

I’ve been listening to this lovely recording a lot lately:
                              There are several other excellent ones of course: Domus on Hyperion, Cristina Ortiz & the Fine Arts Quartet on Naxos, the Mozart Piano Quartet & friends on MDG ....
                              Thanks Nick A, very tempted by the Le Sage.

(Enjoyed the Sibelius Lemminkainen Suite, Schutz now...)

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

That's 10 minutes of my life I won't get back!
                                Both TTN errors took 4 pages of questions and at least 21 clicks + huge amounts of typing (DD MM YY date as separate edit boxes - what century are we living in!) They don't make it easy to complain & I'm sure it's got worse!!!

The only good bit of news was that someone has reported the wretched Amazon Alexa stream failure problems (again)...

Comment

Working...
                                X