X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... not, I think, available as a recording yet?

There is a recording of "The Chamber Eroica" on the Metier label, not sure if it's by Ries though as it doesn't say. It's thoroughly enjoyable and on Spotify (or similar). Hope this helps!
    Best regards,
    Jonathan

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
      There is a recording of "The Chamber Eroica" on the Metier label, not sure if it's by Ries though as it doesn't say.
      It isn't - the Metier recording is of the 1807 arrangement by an anonymous arranger.

This is a very important recording, as it is the first time the original piano quartet version of the Eroica Symphony has been recorded. (it should not be confused with the arrangement by Ferdinand Ries published 50 years later). This anonymous arrangement was made at Beethoven's insistence (though he had…

Ries' is available on MDG, coupled with the piano quartet arrangement of the Piano & Wind quintet:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... very many thanks to you, Jonathan and ferney.

These both (the 1807 and the Ries) sound really interesting - I shall be investigating...

/

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Thursday 26 July

John Shea presents archive performances from Swedish Radio of symphonies by Haydn and Schumann.
            The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Ultimate non-HIPP Haydn and Schumann. Mono recordings from the1950s.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
              John Shea presents archive performances from Swedish Radio of symphonies by Haydn and Schumann.
              The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Ultimate non-HIPP Haydn and Schumann. Mono recordings from the1950s.
              But I own a HIPP 1950s record player I would be able to play those on!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                But I own a HIPP 1950s record player I would be able to play those on!
                I hope you have replaced the thermionic valves to ensure it performs as historically intended.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Haha.

Sometimes we forget what we are here for. Wasn't it good last night. I thought so. I will be honest. Having totally dismissed Tippett, I was captivated by the Negro Spirituals (a soft spot for me) from "A Child in Time", I liked the Spanish Ravel and the Vladimir Ruzdjak folk songs were a revelation. I then went to Radio 2 for Rubber Band Man and Love Unlimited which sounded much better than they might have done via an extensive Radio 3 prism. The lords in Broadcasting House might well rejoice but they don't engage so they are utterly irrelevant.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                    • Nov 2010

I'm rarely aware of what goes on 'Through the Night' on R3, but I happened to switch on halfway through the first movement of Mozart 39 last night and couldn't bring myself to stop listening until the Australian Chamber Orchestra, with Richard Tognetti directing from the violin, had played their way brilliantly through the last three symphonies. It may be that I needed a large dose of Mozartian genius after my recent total immersion in The Ring at Covent Garden, but listening closely at night to these three symphonies in one stretch seemed to reward this listener with treasures almost beyond belief. . . .

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Catriona Young presents:
                    12:31 am - Mozart Symphony No 39 in E flat K 543;
                    1:00 am - Mozart Symphony No 40 in G minor K 550;
                    1:31 am - Mozart Symphony No 41 in C K 551 (Jupiter).

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                      I'm rarely aware of what goes on 'Through the Night' on R3, but I happened to switch on halfway through the first movement of Mozart 39 last night and couldn't bring myself to stop listening until the Australian Chamber Orchestra, with Richard Tognetti directing from the violin, had played their way brilliantly through the last three symphonies. It may be that I needed a large dose of Mozartian genius after my recent total immersion in The Ring at Covent Garden, but listening closely at night to these three symphonies in one stretch seemed to reward this listener with treasures almost beyond belief. . . .

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Catriona Young presents:
                      I came in at the same point and like you listened all through the rest of the Mozart sandwich(as it was described), and it proved the best antidote to an unquiet mind and body that wouldn't let me sleep.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        the Mozart sandwich (as it was described)
                        I disagreed with Ms Young here - it was a veritable feast!

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

I disagreed with Ms Young here - it was a veritable feast!
                          For some a sarnie would be a feast; I was rather more concerned at the implication that 39 and 41 were bread to 40's filling.....

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            For some a sarnie would be a feast; I was rather more concerned at the implication that 39 and 41 were bread to 40's filling.....
                            No, no. It's a Pumpernickel club sandwich and the presentation between the symphonies is the filling.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Catriona Young presents:

I guess you know there is a commercial release?

I bought the CDs in 2016 after streaming on Qobuz and it is a very exciting traversal, well recorded - a big muscular sound, with great impact and immediacy... I recall the Gramophone reviewer (A F-C 10/16) found it a little brusquely relentless but was still pretty positive.....

They are live, with (very) enthusiastic applause retained after each work. (Not between movements so don't panic anyone..)

Comment

• Keraulophone
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                I guess you know there is a commercial release?
                                Thank you Jayne, I was unaware of it and shall investigate, though I’m not sure why the Giant River is asking £17.81 for the single CD (only £10.46 new + delivery from the marketplace).

Very ‘live’, clear-sighted, judiciously balanced, well articulated, exciting and powerful but not overblown, and not without poetic corners, these are entertaining performances (the Mozart of the Amadeus film comes to mind) that had my ears pricked all the way through (a rare occurrence).

I’m in general agreement with the one GR customer comment, and was amused by his first paragraph:

“Here in the Penal Colonies, besieged by so many crocs, tiger snakes, funnel web spiders, inland taipans, box jellyfish, blue-ringed octopi, solider ants, stone fish, stingrays, red-bellied black snakes, white-pointer sharks, death adders, copperheads and Steve Irwin impersonators, I’ll take what culture comes our way. It may not be much in the scheme of things but it provides relief from the endless threat of stings, bites, chomps and khaki shorts.

The Australian Chamber Orchestra is a fine ensemble in its own right. How it manages to stay afloat financially is a minor miracle in itself given the deification of sport in the Penal Colonies to the exclusion of the arts. I enjoyed its survey of Mozart’s last three symphonies under the baton of Richard Tognetti. They are not the Word. Even so, they’re well worth a listen. One cannot question the virility of these performances, underwritten by a strong bass-line. Urgency and passion go a long way in Mozart. The punchy accents in the slow movement of the Jupiter certainly made me rethink its narrative – they resemble a subterranean eruption and rightly so. Innigkeit is evident too whenever Mozart turns inwards.”
                                - Bernard O’Hanlon.

Comment

Working...
                                X