Clear All
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

Curiouser and curiouser...

The detailed listing gives:

12:31 AM
    Haydn, Joseph (1732-1809)
    Trio no.39 in G major H.15.25 (Gypsy rondo) for keyboard and strings
    Antti Tikkanen (violin), Peter Bruns (cello), Oliver Triendl (piano)

12:46 AM
    Liszt, Franz (1811-1886)
    Romance oubli‚e S.132 for viola and piano
    Lise Berthaud (viola), Oliver Triendl (piano)

12:51 AM
    Sary, Laszlo (1940-)
    Triptichon for cello and cimbalom
    Peter Bruns (cello), Andr s Szalai (cimbalom)

etc - but just below, under "Music Played", we see

00.01 Franz Schubert An die Musik (D.547), arr. Reger for voice and orchestra
    Singer: Dietrich Henschel. Orchestra: National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra. Music Arranger: Max Reger. Conductor: Jerzy Semkow.

00:03 Franz Schubert Memnon (D.541), arr. Reger for voice and orchestra
    Singer: Dietrich Henschel. Orchestra: National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra. Music Arranger: Max Reger. Conductor: Jerzy Semkow.

etc...

This is very strange! Not a word of explanation.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... all very strange.

But I have noticed on quite a few occasions that the timings in the Radio Times for Through the Night prove to be out by exactly thirty minutes - as if the compilers have miscalculated the different end-times at the weekend ( 07:00hh ) and weekdays ( 06:30hh ). Sometimes I have spotted this in advance (when the timings of works clearly will not fit) and made the necessary mental adjustment; sometimes at my normal waking time of 05:00hh I have been most surprised...

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

I sent an email to the programme asking about the playlist and received a reply within an hour with an apology and explaination. Apparently,it was a simple human error. This was a ‘handwritten’ message and not one of those inhuman auto-responses. So let’s hope this is just that and not the system melting down or anything more serious.

[ed] vinteuil
        Just in case, the programme starts half an hour later on weekend.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          I sent an email to the programme asking about the playlist and received a reply within an hour with an apology and explaination. Apparently,it was a simple human error. This was a ‘handwritten’ message and not one of those inhuman auto-responses. So let’s hope this is just that and not the system melting down or anything more serious.

[ed] vinteuil
          Just in case, the programme starts half an hour later on weekend.
          Than ks for doing that, DS. We'll just have to see if that particular programme gets aired, or is "lost to infinity tossed".

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
            • Mar 2013

From last night's programme containing several early works by Mozart.

Symphony no. 1 in E flat major K.16
            Radio France Philharmonic Orchestra, Ton Koopman (conductor)

A wonderful performance. I'm working my way through Mozart's early works, so this was most serendipitous. I wonder if Koopman has plans to record these early works.
            It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              From last night's programme containing several early works by Mozart.

Symphony no. 1 in E flat major K.16
              Radio France Philharmonic Orchestra, Ton Koopman (conductor)

A wonderful performance. I'm working my way through Mozart's early works, so this was most serendipitous. I wonder if Koopman has plans to record these early works.
              Heard those for the first time, and my most immediate thought was, now I know where Michael Nyman gets his "inspirations".

Good to have you back again, Throppers!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Heard those for the first time, and my most immediate thought was, now I know where Michael Nyman gets his "inspirations".

Good to have you back again, Throppers!
                Is that Michael 'Smooooooooth Classics' Nyman?

Thanks, SA.

Mozart was a difficult nut to crack for me, but I seem to be spending more and more time in his company. The word 'purity' crops up a lot in encomia. I'm tempted by a few books on him: 'His Last Year' by H.C. Robbins Landon and a collection of his letters. I wasn't too drawn by his father's Toy Symphony, which followed on TTN last night.
                Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 15-10-13, 15:07.
                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  Is that Michael 'Smooooooooth Classics' Nyman?

Thanks, SA.

Mozart was a difficult nut to crack for me, but I seem to be spending more and more time in his company. The word 'purity' crops up a lot in encomia. I'm tempted by a few books on him: 'His Last Year' by H.C. Robbins Landon and a collection of his letters. I wasn't to drawn by his father's Toy Symphony, which followed on TTN last night.
                  Hmmm. The symphonic genre was still very new when the child Wolfgang Amadeus struck out on his first, so we could say how adventurous and daring for one so young, while on the other hand thinking, the paint was still not dry, expectations still not set on things that became so important soon after like shape, form and content, so one had a free hand.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Hmmm. The symphonic genre was still very new when the child Wolfgang Amadeus struck out on his first, so we could say how adventurous and daring for one so young, while on the other hand thinking, the paint was still not dry, expectations still not set on things that became so important soon after like shape, form and content, so one had a free hand.
                    Hiya Serial_Apologist, For some reason that Toy Symphony makes me cringe!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      Hiya Serial_Apologist, For some reason that Toy Symphony makes me cringe!
                      Yes, you'd need to be a bit cuckoo to enjoy that!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Well, one of his earliest 'hits' was:

after all.

His main source/muse, however, was very much Purcell.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Schumann Piano Quintet - Ingrid Fliter (piano); Ebène Quartet

I heard this 'muscular' performance (30 October, 5.08 a.m.) this week for, I believe, the third time, and enjoyed it again.

I believe also - without having checked - that Schumann's was the first such quintet.

Catriona Young, new to me on TTN, repeated the story about the premiere that Clara Schumann, who had been scheduled to perform, was unwell and Mendelssohn sight-read the piano part. I've always been in awe of this: however, a competent pianist to whom I mentioned this gave a shrug. I wonder what pianists think of this story: was it an awesome achievement or is the piano part not that difficult? I imagine that the players would have been reading from autograph parts.
                          Last edited by kernelbogey; 01-11-13, 22:38.

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

2013 Anniversaries: Tuesday 19th

Its not just Wagner and Verdi's anniversary year. John Shea with a programme of other composers with anniversaries this year. Music by Vanhal, Grétry, Gyrowetz and Popper.
                            John Shea with music from composers with anniversaries: Vanhal, Gretry, Gyrowetz, Popper.

Vanhal’s Stabat Mater could be a Mozart-ised Pergolesi. Very good, all the same.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                              Its not just Wagner and Verdi's anniversary year. John Shea with a programme of other composers with anniversaries this year. Music by Vanhal, Grétry, Gyrowetz and Popper.
                              John Shea with music from composers with anniversaries: Vanhal, Gretry, Gyrowetz, Popper.

Vanhal’s Stabat Mater could be a Mozart-ised Pergolesi. Very good, all the same.
                              A pity that a composer is overlooked who's centenary is December 23rd coming: Hans Henkemans. Not only a very skilled and enjoyable composer (died in 1995), but on top of that a pianist famous for his Debussy and Mozart interpretations (and a ground breaking psychiatrist, treating quite a lot of musicians).
                              Philips recorded all Debussy piano-solo works, as well as a nearly complete cycle of Mozart piano concertos with either the Mozarteum orchestra/Baumgartner or Concertgebouw/van Beinum or ditto/Rieu (st, that is) in the 1950s.

Van Beinum and Haitink commissioned a couple of works, of which some have found a place in the Concertgebouw Radio Recordings Boxes.
                              Henkemans' 2nd pianoconcerto (Introduction and Passacaglia) was one of the first pieces played (premiered even) after the re-opening of the Concertgebouw in September 1945 following the Dutch liberation from the German occupation.

Zimerman is said to have started studying his Debussy-interpretations (for DGG) with Henkemans' recordings as point of departure.
                              Zimerman also commissioned a concert of Henkemans' (at the same time as Lutoslawski's), but that has been left unfinished).

Henkemans was present at the premiere of Britten's Spring Symphony, at which occasion they were introduced by Van Beinum. There should be some correspondence, but Henkemans destroyed nearly all his in 1990.....

NB: I've used this posting to start a new thread about neglected centenaries
                              Last edited by Guest; 21-11-13, 11:26.

Comment

• doversoul1
                                Ex Member
                                • Dec 2010

TTN on iPlayer for 4 weeks

I expect most people already know about it but TTN is now available on iPlayer for four weeks. With the new time marker, this gives me much greater chance of listening to the individual works that are rarely played anywhere else. These days, Radio3 means (almost) Through the Night to me.

While I am here: Lat (the OP), if you still look in here, I hope all is well with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X