X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Anyone hankering after last Sunday night to Monday morning's TtN, which has been unavailable on the iPlayer since the broadcast, will be pleased to know that due to the efforts of member Swain, it has now been sorted, and is available in HD Sound to boot.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Anyone hankering after last Sunday night to Monday morning's TtN, which has been unavailable on the iPlayer since the broadcast, will be pleased to know that due to the efforts of member Swain, it has now been sorted, and is available in HD Sound to boot.
      I was (hankering after it). Thanks!!
      This is the first item on the programme.

St John Passion, BWV 245
      Jakob Bloch Jespersen (bass - Jesus), Julian Podger (tenor - Evangelist), Paul Bentley (tenor - Servant), Jakob Soelberg (bass - Pilate), Asger Lynge Pedersen (bass - Peter), Hanne Kappelin (soprano - Maid), Ars Nova Copenhagen, The Paul Hillier Ensemble, Paul Hillier (conductor)

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        Mozetich is IMO a gifted and well trained composer without an own face. Including his Jewish background he presents -as he wishes- Jewish (or Klezmer) influenced music, Mahler ditto, Reich, Pärt or Debussy. It's sounds all beguiling, but lacks an own voice.
        Quite a lot of his music is broadcast in TtN, and is taken from and available on the Canadian CBC label (Mozetich is IIRC a Canadian), and all orchestral works are performed involving Mario Bernardi.
        Just seen this post for the first time, Roehre: many thanks. Yes, what you say fits my experience.

BW, kb

Comment

• David-G
          • Mar 2012

Marques y Garcia

I caught a gem on last Monday night's TTN (night of 11th, early morning of 12th). This was a symphony by a composer I had never heard of before - Pedro Miguel Marques y Garcia (1843-1925). He was apparently a friend and pupil of Berlioz. (I didn't know Berlioz had pupils.) I stayed up excessively late to listen to this, and enjoyed it very much. It's still available on the iplayer. Marques y Garcia apparently wrote 5 symphonies, this is the 4th. I can't find any of his music on CD.

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by David-G View Post
            I caught a gem on last Monday night's TTN (night of 11th, early morning of 12th). This was a symphony by a composer I had never heard of before - Pedro Miguel Marques y Garcia (1843-1925). He was apparently a friend and pupil of Berlioz. (I didn't know Berlioz had pupils.) I stayed up excessively late to listen to this, and enjoyed it very much. It's still available on the iplayer. Marques y Garcia apparently wrote 5 symphonies, this is the 4th. I can't find any of his music on CD.
            We have been here before:

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
            Finally the 4th symphony of Pedro Marques Y Garcia, this is a more interesting work than its predessor. The central movements show clear touches of colour both orchestrally and harmonically, only the rather long winded and empty finale lets the work down IMO.
            Must give it a blast later.

Comment

• David-G
              • Mar 2012

Thanks Sir Velo. I would be interested to read that post in context; can you tell me the thread and the date? I am intrigued by the reference to the predecessor. Does anyone have any idea where any of the other symphonies might be found?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

David, if you click on the arrow after SC's moniker in the quote that should take you directly to the thread. SC's review of the 4th's predecessor is in the same post, IIRC.

Comment

• David-G
                  • Mar 2012

Thanks for pointing out the little arrow! Never noticed that before. I really do recommend listening to the Marques y Garcia symphony. Despite the late hour it really caught my attention. I did not learn the composer's name until the end.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                    I'd like to urge you to have a more thourough look at the TtN listings, as this same recording was already broadcast in TtN on December 8th 2012 (see my "What are you listening to" posting of December 12th.).
                    There are many discoveries to make on TtN, some of them are repeated a couple of times, or even regularly, some are passing once to disappear seemingly for ever.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      I'd like to urge you to have a more thourough look at the TtN listings, as this same recording was already broadcast in TtN on December 8th 2012 (see my "What are you listening to" posting of December 12th.).
                      There are many discoveries to make on TtN, some of them are repeated a couple of times, or even regularly, some are passing once to disappear seemingly for ever.
                      I totally agree with Roehre and I'd go so far as to say that if you are, like me, totally fed up with the dizzy daftness that is Radio 3's Breakfast, then why not use the iPlayer to catch up with TtN - the bare minimum of presenter chatter and as Roehre says, often some wonderful surprises

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        I totally agree with Roehre and I'd go so far as to say that if you are, like me, totally fed up with the dizzy daftness that is Radio 3's Breakfast, then why not use the iPlayer to catch up with TtN - the bare minimum of presenter chatter and as Roehre says, often some wonderful surprises
                        It's the best thing on Radio 3 IMO.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          It's the best thing on Radio 3 IMO.
                          shared with the EMS and Hear & Now, and often better than CotW and the Proms even IMHO

PS: the Proms are repeated partly in TtN, as there were recently broadcasts taken from the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Proms.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                            • Nov 2010

Two of the Marques Y Garcia symphonies used to come up a few times each year on TTN, the 3rd & 4th, though only the latter has appeared more recently. I recorded them when they first came out on TTN (in the same performances) about 10 years ago, and they are surprisingly engaging works. I've been awaiting a recording for some time, I'm surprised that Naxos haven't done so as yet.

Comment

• David-G
                              • Mar 2012

Thanks Suffolk. Let's hope the 3rd comes round again.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Barenboim's 2012 Proms Beethoven on TtN, but not, apparently, the Boulez. Why not?

Comment

Working...
                                X