X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    Agreed. Just re-listening to certain bits having listened to it live with great interest
    Yes, seems to be one of the good guys - certainly not a Boris fan now if he ever was!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Yes, seems to be one of the good guys - certainly not a Boris fan now if he ever was!
      One of the few old-school 1950s One Nation Tories - or was until he resigned the Conservative Party - which only goes to show how far to the right things have slipped that we are enjoined to feel consoled by him and his paternalist views.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        One of the few old-school 1950s One Nation Tories - or was until he resigned the Conservative Party - which only goes to show how far to the right things have slipped that we are enjoined to feel consoled by him and his paternalist views.
        He didn’t resigned he was kicked out!

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

I thought it was an interesting programme about a man of surprising depth. The way he speaks and his voice bear an extraordinary likeness to Tony Blair.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

On the Sunday Morning thread, I mentioned in passing that yesterday’s PP featured the excellent and fascinating Iain Sinclair.
            Serial Apologist was grateful for the heads-up, so I thought I’d also mention it in its proper place. Interesting and thoughtful choice of music too.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
              On the Sunday Morning thread, I mentioned in passing that yesterday’s PP featured the excellent and fascinating Iain Sinclair.
              Serial Apologist was grateful for the heads-up, so I thought I’d also mention it in its proper place. Interesting and thoughtful choice of music too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00120qd
              Thanks UTCT - yes, the right place; and what an excellent programme it was.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Today's programme, with Meg Rosoff, was IMV a classic

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Today's programme, with guest Dame Stephanie Shirley, was moving.

Also notable for me in introducing to me the name of blind pianist and 'autistic savant' Derek Paravicini.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Also notable for me in introducing to me the name of blind pianist and 'autistic savant' Derek Paravicini.
                    Moving indeed, and her distress at one point was all the more poignant I felt for her general air of a highly capable, in control (and somewhat formidable) person. Yet again I was struck by Michael Berkeley's skill in negotiating such delicate moments.
                    I always enjoy the programme but there have been some notably excellent episodes in recent months; we are fortunate that this R3 highlight has so far escaped interference...

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

...and I thought the gentle way Michael Berkeley dealt with that moment when the guest was clearly choked with tears was excellent. He just said, "Let the music speak for you shall we?"

(As an unrelated aside, I had a problem with the version of the first movement of Brandemberg 5 which was chosen (Berlin Academy for Ancient Music). The tempo was brisk...no problem there...but the harpsichord 'cadenza' was very slow, over-indulgent and rubato-laden to the point of silliness. It seems to be a fashion among some present-day harpsichordists. It made it even sillier when the tutti began again to end the movement at its opening speed.)
                      Last edited by ardcarp; 16-01-22, 15:00.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

He also did well handling the outpouring of emotion from Rugby player Brian Moore - one of the most extraordinary hours of broadcasting in recent memory.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Moving indeed, and her distress at one point was all the more poignant I felt for her general air of a highly capable, in control (and somewhat formidable) person. Yet again I was struck by Michael Berkeley's skill in negotiating such delicate moments.
                          I always enjoy the programme but there have been some notably excellent episodes in recent months; we are fortunate that this R3 highlight has so far escaped interference...
                          I couldn’t agree more. Remarkable episode among several remarkable ones lately
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            ...and I thought the gentle way Michael Berkeley dealt with that moment when the guest was clearly choked with tears was excellent. He just said, "Let the music speak for you shall we?"

(As an unrelated aside, I had a problem with the version of the first movement of Brandemberg 5 which was chosen (Berlin Academy for Ancient Music). The tempo was brisk...no problem there...but the harpsichord 'cadenza' was very slow, over-indulgent and rubato-laden to the point of silliness. It seems to be a fashion among some present-day harpsichordists. It made it even sillier when the tutti began again to end the movement at its opening speed.)
                            Agree on both counts, ardcarp. As another aside regarding the music performance, after that moving moment when MB said "let the music speak for you", Jessye Norman's strident rendition of Dido's poignant aria seemed all wrong to me in the circumstances.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                              Agree on both counts, ardcarp. As another aside regarding the music performance, after that moving moment when MB said "let the music speak for you", Jessye Norman's strident rendition of Dido's poignant aria seemed all wrong to me in the circumstances.
                              Might it be the one she chose though, bearing in mind she was very specific about the version of the Glenn Gould she wanted?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Intensely moving episode today

(I confess I ff’d through the K Jenkins performance )
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X