• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Joule soon work it out, I'm sure.
      Take care they may be Killer Joules!

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Yesterday 30 September: Bel Mooney, who bravely and movingly had published a piece in the Guardian in 1976 about the stillbirth of her son - then still a more or less taboo subject, with very little help available to the bereaved mother. It led to the formation of the Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Society. This Private Passions was on top form, as she spoke so coherently and affectingly about her story, and about her marriage to Jonathan Dimbleby and its ending. Highly recommended.

She quoted I don't know whom: 'Live as well as you dare'. I wrote it down.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          Yesterday 30 September: Bel Mooney, who bravely and movingly had published a piece in the Guardian in 1976 about the stillbirth of her son - then still a more or less taboo subject, with very little help available to the bereaved mother. It led to the formation of the Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Society. This Private Passions was on top form, as she spoke so coherently and affectingly about her story, and about her marriage to Jonathan Dimbleby and its ending. Highly recommended.

Sydney Smith in a letter to a depressed Lady Georgiana Morpeth.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

The quote is from a wonderful letter by Sydney Smith [1771-1845] :

In February of 1820, on learning that his good friend, Lady Georgiana Morpeth, was suffering from a bout of depression, noted essayist and clergyman Sydney Smith sent her the following pr…

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Thanks Vints and LMcD.
              BW,kb

Comment

• Prommer
                • Dec 2010

Dare I ask if anyone has listened to Private Passions with the Prince of Wales...?
                Last edited by Prommer; 30-12-18, 20:34.

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                  Dare I ask if anyone has listened to the Private Passions with the Prince of Wales...?
                  I did and I enjoyed his choices, especially the Russian Creed.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                    Dare I ask if anyone has listened to Private Passions with the Prince of Wales...?
                    A pleasant programme but slightly off MB's usual path, I felt.

Where usually he's encouraging his guests to chart their career path in some detail, that wasn't really on in this case (perhaps the fact that the PoW still hasn't really started his first job was a factor?). And of course MB may have been much restricted by ground rules laid down in advance. This forced more very general discussion of arts, artistic influences, esp QE the QM, and about his specific reasons for his musical choices, which inevitably forced him into some general, not entirely coherent 'waffle' about why he liked them.

That's not a criticism: nobody can talk well about this, unless perhaps they can reel off factual, analytical stuff about how the music is organised and that really is the main reason they like it (which makes for a pretty dry, cerebral approach).
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      (which makes for a pretty dry, cerebral approach).
                      I agree with "pretty".
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        I agree with "pretty".
                        fhg: I'm not knocking such analytical approaches in their place (esp. on R3!), but they aren't the conscious reasons why most of MB's programme guests love their choices. That's all I mean.
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

- and, I agree that it can (and often does) result in arid commentary.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            A pleasant programme but slightly off MB's usual path, I felt.

Where usually he's encouraging his guests to chart their career path in some detail, that wasn't really on in this case (perhaps the fact that the PoW still hasn't really started his first job was a factor?). And of course MB may have been much restricted by ground rules laid down in advance. This forced more very general discussion of arts, artistic influences, esp QE the QM, and about his specific reasons for his musical choices, which inevitably forced him into some general, not entirely coherent 'waffle' about why he liked them.

That's not a criticism: nobody can talk well about this, unless perhaps they can reel off factual, analytical stuff about how the music is organised and that really is the main reason they like it (which makes for a pretty dry, cerebral approach).
                            I think your comments are spot on. I supposed HRH deserves some credit for picking both Wagner and the (for me) much more palatable 'Sadie The Shaker'.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              I think your comments are spot on. I supposed HRH deserves some credit for picking both Wagner and the (for me) much more palatable 'Sadie The Shaker'.
                              Does the boy not love Elgar ....... ????? if so where was the Great Man ...... ?

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Does the boy not love Elgar ....... ????? if so where was the Great Man ...... ?
                                Well, as a German amateur cellist, he naturally plumped for Haydn (the far greater man) and C major.

Comment

Working...
                                X