• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Could this be what you were looking for? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7MpF...3ED624&index=4
    No. That wasn't bad at all.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
      It does look as if Donna Leon was the guest in 2000 (scroll down)

[ed]. Ah…. the link is to their homepage. I typed in Handel in the composer box.
      That link gives the search page but the Radio 3 page (show more) says it was first broadcast in May 2000 - precisely, it was 6 May according to the CA archive.

Ed: With belated acknowledgements to Caliban, whose post I hadn't read
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Highly entertaining. I didn't hear it first time round. I share her experience of Kiri - I saw her sublime Countess in '72, and lament...this sort of thing. I agree with MB about opera singers singing musicals and vice versa.

I think she was a bit confused as to which funeral pyre Manrico was singing about, but she did say she hadn't listened to it for some time....(it was the one about to be lit under his mother by Luna, not the earlier one into which Azucena flung the wrong baby ).

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          That link gives the search page but the Radio 3 page (show more) says it was first broadcast in May 2000 - precisely, it was 6 May according to the CA archive.

I also hadn't notice that it was repeat, although in the Radio Times it has an (R) next to it.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I stand corrected.

Time's arrow would appear to be gaining speed...
            O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Stephen Whitaker

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              so it was Filippa Giordano singing Casta diva
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwnZVTv8SU
              The truly awful thing is that people still swallow this tripe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                which funeral pyre ....(it was the one about to be lit under his mother by Luna, not the earlier one into which Azucena flung the wrong baby ).

Opera is so ... wholesome !!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

must say that ms Leon writes a very passable thriller!
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

If your penchant is for Italian detectives, I don't think she's nearly as good as Michael Dibdin.

(Nor Inspector Montalbano, obviously, though he's not Venetian.)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

no one is as good as Michael Dibdin .. i have read the entire Zen sequence and you have reminded me that i could happily read it again .... alas the BBC only forked out for the first three novels [great casting]

i have not read Montalbano - it appears to be a punishment judging by the TV version ...
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        Highly entertaining. I didn't hear it first time round. I share her experience of Kiri - I saw her sublime Countess in '72, and lament...this sort of thing. I agree with MB about opera singers singing musicals and vice versa.
                        Likewise Richard... and in addition I shared her experience of Renée Fleming in Handel - I also went to the production of 'Alcina' in Paris that Donna Leon went to, and it was one of the most enthralling and affecting evenings ever.

(The recording that came out subsequently - and from which an extract was played - wasn't a patch on the live experience)
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Likewise Richard... and in addition I shared her experience of Renée Fleming in Handel - I also went to the production of 'Alcina' in Paris that Donna Leon went to, and it was one of the most enthralling and affecting evenings ever.

(The recording that came out subsequently - and from which an extract was played - wasn't a patch on the live experience)
                          I hope you took porky provisions for the intervals, Cali

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            no one is as good as Michael Dibdin .. i have read the entire Zen sequence and you have reminded me that i could happily read it again .... alas the BBC only forked out for the first three novels [great casting]

i have not read Montalbano - it appears to be a punishment judging by the TV version ...
                            I haven't read Dibdin - but I found the tv series with actors playing Italians, walking about in Italy speaking English, absurd and, for me, unwatchable.

The clue here may be in the disjuncture between a film and the novel on which it's based.

I enjoy the Montalbano tv series, but the books, skilfully and wittily translated by Steven Zacharelli, are even more delightful and enjoyable.

Comment

• Cornet IV

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              so it was Filippa Giordano singing Casta diva
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwnZVTv8SU
                              Yes mercia. 30 seconds on YouTube confirmed the identity of the culprit. It was also as much as I could stand. What a shocker!

I sometimes was discomfited by the Three Tenors who in, presumably, seeking to promote the operatic genre, in my view achieved little more than vulgarising it but at least Messrs Domingo, Carreras and Pavarotti were able to sing; a fundamental requirement yet to be achieved by Ms Giordano. It was at my wife's insistence that I have pursued this worthless matter - I'm glad I can now move on to aspects of life possessed of consequence. Car's due for MOT . . . .

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                                • Nov 2010

Such a shame there is no Private Passions archive....rhetorical ? really....

....if there was I should like to be listening to Karen Armstrong <ex-nun> (circa 2006)....one of best ever....
                                bong ching

Comment

Working...
                                X