Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for the Tauber link, I hadn't heard it before and I'm afraid rather enjoyed it. Incidentally I see that Rudy Vallee also recorded it in 1933 and as you mention, many others too latched on to its attractive melody. As to Tauber 'knowing better', is there a particular reason why he should have? After all he sang to make a living as well as for his 'Art'.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

A quite exquisite performance of Poem (from the idyll 'At Twilight', Op 39) by Jarmila Novotna, Czech Songs and Arias, (Supraphon 11 1491-2 201) (1992), which also includes Jan Masaryk's memorable cycle, Songs of Lidice.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        Thanks for the Tauber link, I hadn't heard it before and I'm afraid rather enjoyed it. Incidentally I see that Rudy Vallee also recorded it in 1933 and as you mention, many others too latched on to its attractive melody. As to Tauber 'knowing better', is there a particular reason why he should have? After all he sang to make a living as well as for his 'Art'.
        I rather enjoyed it too ! Rather lovely . Jarmila Novotna 's 1934 performance is too.

There is a performance of the Fibich on violin by Ivry Gitlis on YT when you do very much hear what pursuivant says though about Whiter Shade of Pale .

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
          A quite exquisite performance of Poem (from the idyll 'At Twilight', Op 39) by Jarmila Novotna, Czech Songs and Arias, (Supraphon 11 1491-2 201) (1992), which also includes Jan Masaryk's memorable cycle, Songs of Lidice.
          I managed to track down a second hand copy of this CD and I could not agree more . Exquisite it is - what wonderful, characterful singing .

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

When 'Private Passions' episodes are taken over by 'Strictly Come Dancing' regulars later this year will forum listeners be
            able contain their excitement ?

Or, like Jerry, keep cool ?

Comment

• Northender

Here it is!

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>>When 'Private Passions' episodes are taken over by 'Strictly Come Dancing' regulars later this year *****

*****Please be aware that these guests were provisional and liable to change. And they have.
                So, no Brendan nor Anton, for now at any rate.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

An excellent episode yesterday with Jared Diamond. The chat part only scratched the surface of this great man, but revealed him as a knowledgeable and thoughtful amateur musician, on top of everything else. His choices - JS Bach x 3, CPE Bach x1, Beethoven trio, Schubert (Erlkoenig), Brahms Sextet, Strauss 4LS (with Janowitz) - MB seemed to be enjoying himself.

Comment

• Gordon
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    An excellent episode yesterday with Jared Diamond. The chat part only scratched the surface of this great man, but revealed him as a knowledgeable and thoughtful amateur musician, on top of everything else. His choices - JS Bach x 3, CPE Bach x1, Beethoven trio, Schubert (Erlkoenig), Brahms Sextet, Strauss 4LS (with Janowitz) - MB seemed to be enjoying himself.
                    Yes, indeed one of the best PPs for a while. The man's urbanity and wide experience is to be marvelled at. His book Guns, Germs and Steel is a must read. And he chose some organ music, the BWV552 prelude which gets a rare outing!!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

indeed! a rather formidable gent i thought, and exceptionally listenable music for a nice change ... [also try the Third Chimpanzee another excellent work but earlier than Guns etc]
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

Ah so that's who it was....listening while working in the workshop, but missed the beginning....I thought he sounded like a professional singer....very meticulous....
                        bong ching

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          It was an outstanding programme
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

i am very much enjoying Ms Leon's expressions of taste ....
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                              i am very much enjoying Ms Leon's expressions of taste ....
                              Who is the beggar yelling on the radio at the other side of Château Caliban though..?? Was just making a mental note to go and put him out of his misery...
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Why is she going on about counter-tenors sounding manly? What does it mean?

If modern counter-tenors sounded 'right' in Handel, they'd sound like castrati.

Comment

Working...
                                X