X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    I always thought MB deserved his place in the England if he’d never scored a run.
    He did say that taking a post of lecturer in philosophy at Newcastle University did not help his batting.

PS Speaking as a linguist myself, I quite enjoyed it when Mourinho was Bobby Robson's assistant at Barcelona and some fans sought to insult him by chanting "Mourinho Traductor!" - Mourinho the translator
    Last edited by gurnemanz; 15-11-20, 17:30.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      He did say that taking a post of lecturer in philosophy at Newcastle University did not help his batting.
      A bowled move then, I'd say, though I'd be stumped to say why...

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

PS Speaking as a linguist myself, I quite enjoyed it when Mourinho was Bobby Robson's assistant at Barcelona and some fans sought to insult him by chanting "Mourinho Traductor!" - Mourinho the translator
        Really enjoyed it ...... sad that, as you say gurners, he considers his time playing for Percy Main amidst the pit heaps did not enhance his cricket skills ..... obviously just breathing the air would ....... I have just listened to the PP with Richard Flanagan he mentioned ..... very good too IMVVHO ....

Comment

• Leinster Lass
          Banned
          • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          A bowled move then, I'd say, though I'd be stumped to say why...
          Perhaps he'd been refused bail.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rathfarnhamgirl View Post
            Perhaps he'd been refused bail.
            Stop it, I say! Was thinking of opining that Serial had made a silly point, but thought I would spare everyone!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Really enjoyed it ...... sad that, as you say gurners, he considers his time playing for Percy Main amidst the pit heaps did not enhance his cricket skills ..... obviously just breathing the air would ....... I have just listened to the PP with Richard Flanagan he mentioned ..... very good too IMVVHO ....
              I can also remember enjoying the Richard F edition but Percy Main baffled me until I googled it, despite getting to know the area quite well while a student at Durham late 60s. Many places, eg Pity Me, remained merely the mysterious destinations on the front of local buses.

Re cricket in that neck of the woods I did see Tom Graveney bat for Worcestershire at Chester-le-Street in the Gillette Cup when Durham was still a minor county (and indeed a miner county). We were pleased to see the famous John Rex, iconic Prof of Sociology, sitting there on a grassy bank in a lone deck chair.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

I can also remember enjoying the Richard F edition but Percy Main baffled me until I googled it, despite getting to know the area quite well while a student at Durham late 60s. Many places, eg Pity Me, remained merely the mysterious destinations on the front of local buses.

Re cricket in that neck of the woods I did see Tom Graveney bat for Worcestershire at Chester-le-Street in the Gillette Cup when Durham was still a minor county (and indeed a miner county). We were pleased to see the famous John Rex, iconic Prof of Sociology, sitting there on a grassy bank in a lone deck chair.
                Tom Graveney from Riding Mill where I have made a few runs all those years ago .........

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Tom Graveney from Riding Mill where I have made a few runs all those years ago .........
                  There used to be an engine shed at Percy Main!

A blog about visits to locomotive sheds in the UK, during the age of steam.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Stop it, I say! Was thinking of opining that Serial had made a silly point, but thought I would spare everyone!
                    Good one, frenchie!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

One Saturday about 30 years ago I had been charged with amusing our two offspring for the morning. We went to Bristol Zoo which has a small children's playground. The only other people around were an elderly man with grandchildren (presumably). As I looked at this gentleman it dawned on me that it was indeed none other than Tom Graveney. Sure that I was not going to be intruding, I could not resist starting a conversation. We chatted pleasantly for about five minutes and I of course mentioned that the only time I had seen him bat was at Chester-le-Street. Riding Hill didn't come up and is new to me, though I have been by car from Durham to Hexham so we probably went through it.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Didn't meet Dominic Cummings on the way there, by any chance?

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

A few as in “ lots of” I imagine, AG. Whereas my few runs really were genuinely few.
                          I did manage to be part of a 50 run 10th wicket partnership, of which I got, IIRC a rather stylish 2.

I never met Tom Graveney, or indeed Mike Brearley.

However,who knows, I may get to meet Dennis Amiss next year, when we publish his autobiography.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            A few as in “ lots of” I imagine, AG. Whereas my few runs really were genuinely few.
                            I did manage to be part of a 50 run 10th wicket partnership, of which I got, IIRC a rather stylish 2.

I never met Tom Graveney, or indeed Mike Brearley.

However,who knows, I may get to meet Dennis Amiss next year, when we publish his autobiography.
                            No ts when I say a few, few it was ...... I was an opening bat with hardly any scoring shots .........

Never met any of the three you mention but did meet Freddie Titmus who was a real gent and had some good stories ......

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

No ts when I say a few, few it was ...... I was an opening bat with hardly any scoring shots .........

Never met any of the three you mention but did meet Freddie Titmus who was a real gent and had some good stories ......
                              Always rated FJ - good all rounder! Didn’t he have a pub in the Yorkshire Dales - no just checked it was another former Middx cricketer - Peter Parfitt.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Today's edition with Kadiatu Kanneh-Mason was interesting, and a good antidote to all the gloom and despondency around at present.

Comment

Working...
                                X