Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

I hadn't heard the programme before. One of the best in the series - what a truly great man!
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Sarah Perry as guest today had interesting things to say about her writing and about her musical choices: inculding contemporary composer Stephen Crowe, new to me.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Sarah Perry as guest today had interesting things to say about her writing and about her musical choices: inculding contemporary composer Stephen Crowe, new to me.
        Yes, very good. Have bought her books for family members, need to get round to reading one or two myself....
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
          Yes, very good. Have bought her books for family members, need to get round to reading one or two myself....
          I have read her first two, not sure I want to read the third at the moment, things seem quite dark enough as it is.
          This is interesting https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...gs-sarah-perry

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Today's programme with Mike Brearley - cricketer and psychoanalyst - was very good: interesting musical choices; and of course quite a bit about cricket. There was a gratifying synergy between guest and presenter.
            Last edited by kernelbogey; 15-11-20, 15:30.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Today's programme with Mike Brierley - cricketer and psychoanalyst - was very good: interesting musical choices; and of course quite a bit about cricket. There was a gratifying synergy between guest and presenter.
                Yes, one of the best - very thoughtful & interesting.

I had no idea Brierley had gone on to a career as a psychoanalyst.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                  I had no idea Brierley had gone on to a career as a psychoanalyst.
                  Nor I....

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Mike Brearley, people: respect for the Great Man.

I do think his psychological subtlety on the field was a major part of getting the best out of Botham - Both - in the legendary 1981 Ashes series - I recall Brearley saying that "he brings out the boyishness in me", but it went a lot further than that....he knew when to care and comfort and when to inspire, motivate and cajole a cricketer who was essentially inspirational. You could see this clearly in the on-field body language at the time.
                    I wasn't surprised to hear some years ago that he had become a psychoanalyst, a discipline which has always fascinated me: it shows us how we are "run from below".....as Larkin said our identities are at least partly..."what something hidden from us chose".... about facing and accepting yourself - your best self and your worst. Using those positive and negative energies.

You see this in the more sophisticated Football managers too of course, such as Mourinho and The Mersey God Klopp.....
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 15-11-20, 15:43.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Mike Brearley, people: respect for the Great Man.
                      Mea culpa....

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

I always thought MB deserved his place in the England if he’d never scored a run - he knew his team - which were motivated by an arm around the shoulder and which were more motivated by a verbal kick up the backside! Jayne I agree with you about Klopp but not sure Mourinho has it - if he has it didn’t work at Old Trafford but I think that Dean Smith and Gareth Southgate have.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

I know nothing about cricket, but very much enjoyed this PP. Mike Brearley has a good radio voice, and I always think it's a bonus when I am surprised to get to the end of the programme much sooner than I expected.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I always thought MB deserved his place in the England if he’d never scored a run - he knew his team - which were motivated by an arm around the shoulder and which were more motivated by a verbal kick up the backside! Jayne I agree with you about Klopp but not sure Mourinho has it - if he has it didn’t work at Old Trafford but I think that Dean Smith and Gareth Southgate have.
                            Yes, but look at Spurs now...how cunningly he's building and shaping the team and the squad; Bale was a bigger risk than he looked "on paper", and Reguilon was a clever move. Mourinho still seems to know how to get close to his players....... the Resurrection of José is under way....
                            I didn't expect it, but its going to be a fascinating thing to watch.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Yes, but look at Spurs now...how cunningly he's building and shaping the team and the squad; he still seems to know how to get close to his players....... the Mourinho Resurrection is under way....
                              I didn't expect it, but its going to be a fascinating thing to watch.
                              Yes, Jayne - Man U was a special learning experience for him I guess!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Yes, Jayne - Man U was a special learning experience for him I guess!
                                Absolutely. I think José and the United team were very inspired by Ibrahimovic, who played a brilliant first season there; as was Paul Pogba. When Ibra suffered his longterm injury it all seem to go downhill quickly. Pogba, a huge talent but perhaps a rather fragile one mentally, has never been the same since, despite great moments; Solskjaer has never quite figured out how to get the best from him (Pogba had a great 2018 World Cup).

All in the mind you see.....and just look at Ibra now!

Comment

Working...
                                X