X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Anybody but SK. She may knowledgeable, but the supercilious nastiness makes me long for anyone else. Even Anne Robinson would be less abrasive.

As for the playlist game (the one where they are now careful to be begin with finales these days, in order to avoid people like me asking for the following movement) it's well past its sell-by date.

Oh, and Suzy, if you must call it a "show", the word doesn't rhyme with "now" or "cow".
    I couldn't agree more! Perhaps she should listen to Martin Handley of a weekend to learn 'how it's done'.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by zola View Post
      In Radio Times for today ( under the CFM listings as it happens ) we are informed that Edvard Grieg lived from 1843 until 1997.

You can't blame the BBC for that one. The RT was sold by them some time ago.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        I couldn't agree more! Perhaps she should listen to Martin Handley of a weekend to learn 'how it's done'.

Comment

• Anastasius
          • Mar 2015

As for the playlist game (the one where they are now careful to be begin with finales these days, in order to avoid people like me asking for the following movement) it's well past its sell-by date.

Priceless
          Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            A real corker from yesterday's listing:
            The more composers the better. And they did play the whole of Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time. Allegedly.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

SK ... may knowledgeable ...
              ... but she hides it well.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                ... but she hides it well.
                Oooooh, you are awful … It's strange that even when people have 'done their homework' (on Wikipedia ) they still don't come over as 'knowledgeable' compared with those who have been immersed in classical music and have the information at their fingertips (but who may very well consult Wikipedia to check up on details; who doesn't?).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Oooooh, you are awful … It's strange that even when people have 'done their homework' (on Wikipedia ) they still don't come over as 'knowledgeable' compared with those who have been immersed in classical music and have the information at their fingertips (but who may very well consult Wikipedia to check up on details; who doesn't?).
                  Artists and composers aren't themselves always the best people, even when it comes to talking about their own work. When they are - (pace Richard Barrett) - they can be wonderful!

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

As someone who does listen to EC, as well as comment on it, I have to say SK is edging ever closer to driving me away. The originally rather irritating aspects have become so exaggerated as to be a caricature now, and are tending to taint my enjoyment of the music, doing nothing to foster a positive outlook in this listener.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      As someone who does listen to EC, as well as comment on it, I have to say SK is edging ever closer to driving me away. The originally rather irritating aspects have become so exaggerated as to be a caricature now, and are tending to taint my enjoyment of the music, doing nothing to foster a positive outlook in this listener.
                      Giive me Ian Skelly over Suzy.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                        • Mar 2007

The more composers the better. And they did play the whole of Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time. Allegedly.
                        Only if it's a new version - the duration is down as 12 minutes

Perhaps the end of time came earlier than expected.
                        Last edited by Andrew Slater; 12-02-19, 23:52. Reason: edited link to work after today!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                          Only if it's a new version - the duration is down as 12 minutes
                          And there appeared to be a person speaking over it some of the time, sort of explaining it.

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                          Perhaps the end of time came earlier than expected.
                          Last edited by Andrew Slater; 12-02-19, 23:52. Reason: Edited link to work after today!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

+1
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              +1
                              And, incidentally, a pretty smart lesson in searching on Andrew's playlist. All the the works in the programme with full details

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                                • Mar 2007

And, incidentally, a pretty smart lesson in searching on Andrew's playlist. All the the works in the programme with full details
                                Including the "Resurrection" Symphony by Renate Stark-Voit at item 8 as mentioned by Bryn - I'll edit it when I get the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X