X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    It’s not having my name read out that would be a problem. But I’d be terribly embarrassed to know how irritating it would be to impose my personal anecdotes on millions of listeners who didn’t want or ask to hear my navel-contemplating drivel.
    That element of EC has been very greatly reduced(and in Mr Selly's hands will be subject to cutting comment - presumably as a deterrent), but in any case if you don't supply said cringe-making anecdote then it can't be imposed on the listeners.

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Well, she has a First Class degree in Music from Oxford (the BBC likes that sort of thing. So she must be right.

Wikipedia agrees with you: 'Nielsen's stay in Athens [1902 ed.] gave him the inspiration of a work depicting the sun rising and setting over the Aegean Sea, an overture which he called Helios [1903 ed.].'
      Petroc went with the Aegean this morning on 'Breakfast' when he played the 'Helios' Overture. I wonder if Suzy had a word with him afterwards....

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
        I wonder if Suzy had a word with him afterwards....
        It's hard to tell which of them is better informed: Petroc played it 3 times on Breakfast last year, but Suzy played it 3 times on Essential Classics too. Still, if today was Petroc's 4th outing, he edges ahead on recent experience so the Aegean probably has it over Scandinavia, I feel. More than that, Athens is one of the sunniest places in Europe (2771 hours yearly) whereas Funen, for example, where Nielsen was born, is more likely to be cloudy, summer and winter (Wiki: 'In Odense, the summers are comfortable and partly cloudy; the winters are long, very cold, and mostly cloudy'). Open and shut case, I think.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          It's hard to tell which of them is better informed: Petroc played it 3 times on Breakfast last year, but Suzy played it 3 times on Essential Classics too. Still, if today was Petroc's 4th outing, he edges ahead on recent experience so the Aegean probably has it over Scandinavia, I feel. More than that, Athens is one of the sunniest places in Europe (2771 hours yearly) whereas Funen, for example, where Nielsen was born, is more likely to be cloudy, summer and winter (Wiki: 'In Odense, the summers are comfortable and partly cloudy; the winters are long, very cold, and mostly cloudy'). Open and shut case, I think.
          Open and shut indeed, and I'd always understood that the work was Aegean inspired. Suzy, however, may think otherwise.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

I've emailed the Carl Nielsen Society for their view on this matter - I'll let you know whether they reply and if so what they think.
            For today's 'follow-up' piece, I've suggested Gene Vincent's 'Be Bop A Lula'....but I shan't be at home when it or if it is chosen!
            Last edited by LMcD; 11-01-19, 10:46.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

"New Year, New Music"

"Just listen to these strange but subtle harmonic twists and turns; the voices sometimes moving in parallel lines; or one voice staying on the same note; all showing respect for Mediaeval traditions" urges Sarah Walker as the Music is playing behind her voice so that the last thing we can do is "just listen" to the damn thing!

R3 is such sh
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

AND the stupid people claimed that it was Couperin who died after sticking a "baton" through his foot. "I got it wrong, so sue me!" she proudly chirrupped after the whole world texted in to correct her.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                  Open and shut indeed, and I'd always understood that the work was Aegean inspired. Suzy, however, may think otherwise.
                  Are you going to tell her or are you going to leave it to the ‘Cornish One’.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    "New Year, New Music"

"Just listen to these strange but subtle harmonic twists and turns; the voices sometimes moving in parallel lines; or one voice staying on the same note; all showing respect for Mediaeval traditions" urges Sarah Walker as the Music is playing behind her voice so that the last thing we can do is "just listen" to the damn thing!

R3 is such sh
                    Indeed. The first couple of times I heard the start of one of these slots I reached for the mute button(having replaced my sound system I now have one - it's been most useful....) assuming it was a trailer, not helped by the fact that they seem to get repeated - or is that trails?. Anyway I ended up hearing one all through and was astonished that 'they' think this is a reasonable way to do such things. I suppose the assumption is that having had interest piqued the listener will then follow up and listen in full 'on other platforms'; no doubt many do and the numbers(if any attempt is made to find out) will justify this approach. Doing the job properly wouldn't preclude that happening, and in the meantime would show some broadcasting integrity, and respect for the music.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      AND the stupid people claimed that it was Couperin who died after sticking a "baton" through his foot. "I got it wrong, so sue me!" she proudly chirrupped after the whole world texted in to correct her.
                      It was my text that she read out. I thought I had been reasonably good-humoured in my correction, so was surprised by the rather aggressive nature of the 'apology'. I won't sue her though (no cause of action), but I won't listen to her either.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                        It was my text that she read out. I thought I had been reasonably good-humoured in my correction, so was surprised by the rather aggressive nature of the 'apology'. I won't sue her though (no cause of action), but I won't listen to her either.

... yes, she did not respond well. I think she needs to have some media training. (Tho' it wd've helped if she'd known what she was talking about in the first place. I have a vision of her producer behind the screen raising hands to head and mouthing 'no no no no!' as she fatuously uttered her fake news... )

Does she know she is on Radio 3???

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... yes, she did not respond well. I think she needs to have some media training. (Tho' it wd've helped if she'd known what she was talking about in the first place. I have a vision of her producer behind the screen raising hands to head and mouthing 'no no no no!' as she fatuously uttered her fake news... )

Does she know she is on Radio 3???

This means nothing these days. Standards have slipped badly.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            I've emailed the Carl Nielsen Society for their view on this matter - I'll let you know whether they reply and if so what they think.
                            Robert Simpson's book is unequivocal: "It was composed in 1903, when Nielsen and his wife visited Greece, staying in a room that overlooked the Aegean Sea."
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

I rather appreciated the "fake old news" comment, uct - but the sneering tone of voice with which she read your comment out "suggested" that she didn't!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Didn't hear it (as you know!) but 'aggressive' is just the word that occurred to me when I heard about it. A kind of unwilling admission of fault - perhaps under pressure? - rather than an apology. Some people have no difficulty in openly admitting a mistake, others try to wriggle their way out of it.

Have been thinking about this since: is it with the rise of the 'presenter as personality/talent/star' &c? When 'announcers' were lower profile (even anonymous) their reputation was not so much on the line; and their whole professional attitude towards their audience (now 'my fans'/friends) seemed different
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X