X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Not only am I quite happy to have my name read out on the radio, but I also enjoy exchanging emails with presenters. I wouldn't like them to think that nobody was listening!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

I'm pretty sure Bluesnik, our poster on the jazz board, gets called out as Bluesnik whenever he has a request on Jazz Record Requests!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I wouldn't like them to think that nobody was listening!
        Does that apply to all presenters?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Sort of illustrates how few people suggest anything, ever, if yours are so regularly chosen, Bbm! Where would they be without you?
          Or that they have so many suggestions that they go for trusted names to save time....quality over quantity?
          A new challenge within the playlist challenge - spot the forumista .

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Does that apply to all presenters?
            I will offer my modest contribution if I believe that it will add to the nation's happiness and/or if I feel that somebody has done a particularly good job.
            (I've been slapped down on air by Suzie Klein, which I regard as a badge of honour). The personality of the broadcaster in question is not an issue.

Comment

• Anastasius
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by zola View Post
              War horses....I switched on a few minutes early for COTW yesterday and today. The music I encountered was Rodeo and La Valse respectively. Indicating just the tiniest lack of imagination in programming ? In a slightly masochistic vein, I am almost intrigued to discover what tomorrow might bring !
              That's an easy one.

Lark Ascending ?

Zadok the Priest ?

Or maybe something trite from Howard Goodall ?

Silly me...wrong station. How could I confuse the two in the morning ?
              Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

(I've been slapped down on air by Suzie Klein, which I regard as a badge of honour).

Never give in to a bully.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Inundated = ? Same handful of people … ? I can't be completely alone in disliking the very thought of having my name read out on a radio station
                  It’s not having my name read out that would be a problem. But I’d be terribly embarrassed to know how irritating it would be to impose my personal anecdotes on millions of listeners who didn’t want or ask to hear my navel-contemplating drivel.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

Never give in to a bully.
                    Ms Klein wondered what had inspired Nielsen to compose his 'Helios' overture. I suggested that he composed it after a trip to Greece - a suggestion which I found in the liner notes to a CD, but one which I found convincing. She replied that this was most unlikely and that the inspiration was almost certainly the long sunlit summer evenings that are a feature of Scandinavian life....

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      Oh excellent bbm - I was out walking ..... it was what following what ...... ????
                      It was part of their follow on, where yesterday’s selection was The Arrival of the Guests, from Prokofiev’s Romeo & Juliet. I was saying that, as most of the guests would be members of the aristocracy, I thought Rimsky’s Procession of the Nobles would be a good choice to be had and it was one of three that was chosen!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Ms Klein wondered what had inspired Nielsen to compose his 'Helios' overture. I suggested that he composed it after a trip to Greece - a suggestion which I found in the liner notes to a CD, but one which I found convincing. She replied that this was most unlikely and that the inspiration was almost certainly the long sunlit summer evenings that are a feature of Scandinavian life....
                        Well, she has a First Class degree in Music from Oxford (the BBC likes that sort of thing. So she must be right.

Wikipedia agrees with you: 'Nielsen's stay in Athens [1902 ed.] gave him the inspiration of a work depicting the sun rising and setting over the Aegean Sea, an overture which he called Helios [1903 ed.].'

I did not know that, but it's an example of why I wouldn't believe much that several of R3's 'trusted guides' say. And as I used to listen as much to learn things (oh, yes!) as to have music on tap, it's also why a programme like Essential Classics, genial presenter or no , is of no interest. And not up to Radio 3's required standard, as far as I'm concerned.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                          It was part of their follow on, where yesterday’s selection was The Arrival of the Guests, from Prokofiev’s Romeo & Juliet. I was saying that, as most of the guests would be members of the aristocracy, I thought Rimsky’s Procession of the Nobles would be a good choice to be had and it was one of three that was chosen!
                          Wonderful bbm

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            Wonderful bbm
                            Other people I know on Facebook thought the same! Not bad then!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... validation by "other people I know on f*c*b**k" will not cut the mustard when you are tried in the Supreme Court of Forumistas, o Brassboundmeister!

Comment

• edashtav
                                • Jul 2012

A noble effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X