• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    I May be wrong but was the full Bruckner not part of the, then, policy to play the BAL winner on Monday’s EC .... ??? I thought that was a good plan .....
    If I remember, the initial plan, when EC first started, was that one full-length work was always to be included, every day. This later became the BaL choice of the week on Mondays. On Monday 12 September, the first EC, presented by Rob, the full-length work was Tchaikovsky Symph No 4, billed as My Essential Choice Today. I can't see that this was featured on CD Review the previous Saturday. Didn't the BaL choice move to Sunday Morning under Swain and Jolly (now ditched??)?

On the 'kicking': the FoR3 post referred to was about Radio 3 strategy in general from 2004, and on the meaning of 'seamless' = the whole morning being Breakfast >> Essential Classics, just two long, similar, programmes where there used to be two or three different ones in the later slot alone, rather than just one. The only 'kicking seems to be a comment by a poster (not known) who picked out the current EC for special criticism.

[Add: Just checked that first week: Tues Symph Fantastique; Weds Rach 3; Thurs Sibelius 2; Fri Brahms 1. All complete and 'My Essential Choice'.]
    Last edited by french frank; 22-11-18, 12:22.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Another regrettable 'omission' is the evening repeat of CotW - especially this week.
      This is one change I would not object to on principle, for two reasons:

1. If one is unable to hear the morning edition live, as for most other programmes that one can't hear live, one has the iPlayer. Should CotW be a special case?

2. A repeat hour in the evening, every day, effectively introduces one early evening 'dead' hour for listeners who did listen in the morning and who have no wish to listen to it again, every day.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        If I remember, the initial plan, when EC first started, was that one full-length work was always to be included, every day. This later became the BaL choice of the week on Mondays. On Monday 12 September, the first EC, presented by Rob, the full-length work was Tchaikovsky Symph No 4, billed as My Essential Choice Today. I can't see that this was featured on CD Review the previous Saturday. Didn't the BaL choice move to Sunday Morning under Swain and Jolly (now ditched??)?

On the 'kicking': the FoR3 post referred to was about Radio 3 strategy in general from 2004, and on the meaning of 'seamless' = the whole morning being Breakfast >> Essential Classics, just two long, similar, programmes where there used to be two or three different ones in the later slot alone, rather than just one. The only 'kicking seems to be a comment by a poster (not known) who picked out the current EC for special criticism.

[Add: Just checked that first week: Tues Symph Fantastique; Weds Rach 3; Thurs Sibelius 2; Fri Brahms 1. All complete and 'My Essential Choice'.]
        It’s my sensitive nature ff - all Hartlepudlians have it .....

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

I May be wrong but was the full Bruckner not part of the, then, policy to play the BAL winner on Monday’s EC .... ??? I thought that was a good plan .....
          I always thought the record industry must have been lobbying when a recording they may have carried (? made nla?) in their catalogue for years suddenly gets renewed recognition and then its broadcast/available on iPlayer, complete, in good quality - so only ultra hard line physical media possessors*** then go and buy it.
          (***count me amongst those, I have to admit - well for some BAL winners...)

Comment

• Zucchini
            • Nov 2010

Teamsaint: Can't hear dead performers any other way.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Undeniably, team. No answer to that (is there?)
            My incredibly witty response "Yes. Go to Hell!" was deleted and someone may have taken offfence. It was intended to point out that when you enter you might well find Karajan playing non-stop Strauss there. Sorry

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post

My incredibly witty response "Yes. Go to Hell!" was deleted and someone may have taken offfence. It was intended to point out that when you enter you might well find Karajan playing non-stop Strauss there. Sorry
              That might be better than non-stop harp music in the other place!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                You don't find the half-hour mix(ed-up)tape a good substitute then.....?
                To quote my favourite fictional PM: 'You may very well think that but I couldn't possibly comment'.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

May I make it clear that I would have taken no offence - had I seen it before it disappeared. It did appear that I had been singled out as the butt of your wit on this occasion, even though I was only responding to teamsaint's rather wittier, in my opinion, comment. However, to that too I have become inured over the years. Compliments of the season to you, this latest witticism being, in my opinion, a bit of a turkey

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

R, Js or all? ...and will there be dead ringers for Berlioz Fantastique?

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Unscheduled Skellers ..... ????

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Unscheduled Skellers ..... ????
                        He did mention this apparent change shortly after the start of the programme but did not offer an explanation. I listened for about half an hour but soon got bored and went off to play silly board games and chat at our local Community Centre.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

He did mention this apparent change shortly after the start of the programme but did not offer an explanation. I listened for about half an hour but soon got bored and went off to play silly board games and chat at our local Community Centre.
                          Community centre? You're lucky to have one! Now, when I were a lad, we had to make do with bomb site, an orange box tied to an old pram chassis dragged around with a bit of string, and goal posts chalked on shored-up end of terrace!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

"String"???!!! - eee, tha's POSH!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Community centre? You're lucky to have one! Now, when I were a lad, we had to make do with bomb site, an orange box tied to an old pram chassis dragged around with a bit of string, and goal posts chalked on shored-up end of terrace!
                              CHALK?! I'll have you know we had to cut our fingers on a piece of old barbed wire and draw the goal posts with our own blood (unless we could bully someone else into letting us use some of theirs). Young folk today .,...(splutter splutter gasp choke)

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

CHALK?! I'll have you know we had to cut our fingers on a piece of old barbed wire and draw the goal posts with our own blood (unless we could bully someone else into letting us use some of theirs). Young folk today .,...(splutter splutter gasp choke)
                                What's this to do with Essentia Classics - oh yes what follows this 'Un ballo in maschera'.

Comment

Working...
                                X