• Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        FalsTote - fake handbag?
        Or maybe dummy betting shop!

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          I love Tony Backburn late night show on R2 that I listen to on Catch Up!
          Each, as always, to their own never liked him ..... IMVVHO Paul Gambaccini is vastly superior on Pick of the Pops ...

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            I love Tony Backburn late night show on R2 that I listen to on Catch Up!
            I never really liked him back in the 60s - I always got the impression he was more interested in his ego than the music he played!

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
              I remember when he was on R2 on Saturday mornings - I would turn to him with relief if there was a particularly annoying reviewer on CD Review (as it then was).
              He's still on Radio 2 on Saturday mornings from 6.00 a.m. I much prefer 'Gambo' at 1.00 p.m. I share cloughie's opinion of Mr Blackburn.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                I never really liked him back in the 60s - I always got the impression he was more interested in his ego than the music he played!
                Indeed cloughers ......

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Agreed - but on that basis it’s even more telling that I occasionally turned from a Radio 3 CD Reviewer to him on a Saturday morning.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Agreed - but on that basis it’s even more telling that I occasionally turned from a Radio 3 CD Reviewer to him on a Saturday morning.
                    That's the bit I don't understand. Why listen to anything? Silence is golden, golden, but my eyes still see.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      That's the bit I don't understand. Why listen to anything? Silence is golden, golden, but my eyes still see.
                      I like to have the radio on when I'm driving (if I don't have alternative sources of music to hand). And Radio 4 is bad for my health.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I like to have the radio on when I'm driving (if I don't have alternative sources of music to hand). And Radio 4 is bad for my health.
                        I have a rare condition called 'tunnel concentration': I can only focus my brain on one thing at a time. I used to do long motorway journeys and couldn't listen to the radio - had to concentrate on the road. And as for those people who walk along the street having telephone conversations …
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                          • Nov 2010

This morning we had Guerrero's excellent motet Maria Magdalene. Two or three times we were told only that it was a motet in praise of Mary Magdalen. In fact, it's an account of the discovery of the empty tomb on Easter Sunday (Mary Magdalen and the other Mary...). Could nobody at the BBC be bothered to find this out? Maybe Suzy Klein could have read out the text instead of a few tweets?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                            Two or three times we were told
                            Three times we were told - once a few minutes ahead of the work, once when announcing it and once when back announcing it.

But don't take rauschwerk's word for it: take the Latin, Spanish and English words

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I happened on the 'Time Traveller' in Essential Classics this morning. A very droll piece about Mary Benson:

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

...about 1hr 12min from start.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I have a rare condition called 'tunnel concentration': I can only focus my brain on one thing at a time. I used to do long motorway journeys and couldn't listen to the radio - had to concentrate on the road. And as for those people who walk along the street having telephone conversations …
                                I must have this condition too!!! Probably a great irritation to others as well as me, whenever I irately answer the phone "Yes?!" while in the middle of doing something straightforward that really does demand my undivided attention, such as posting an email. I have the greatest envy for those who can multiskill, remembering visiting a publisher for an article I'd written, and watching him typing figures into a complex set of onscreen business accounts with one hand, while reading my article in the other hand, and conversing nonchalantly over the phone tucked into his hunched shoulder with someone else about some deal they were negotiating. At the end of all three simultaneous activities, he replaced the phone receiver, clicked "enter" on the computer, and put my article down with a "Yes, that'll do fine, leave it with me"!

Comment

Working...
                                X