• Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Easy ff one has Skellers the other doesn’t
    Star struck!

Oh, unless you mean that SW and SK are more easily confused than SW and IS ?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Star struck!

Oh, unless you mean that SW and SK are more easily confused than SW and IS ?
      Certainly not .... I am as you say Star Struck ....

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Certainly not .... I am as you say Star Struck ....

R3 presenters used to have their own postcard photos to send out to fans. I don't know if they still do, but you could ask …
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

R3 presenters used to have their own postcard photos to send out to fans. I don't know if they still do, but you could ask …
          I will ...... to save a private message Mark Z says 683 people are awaiting your next words of beyond wisdom ....

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I will ...... to save a private message Mark Z says 683 people are awaiting your next words of beyond wisdom ....
            Look - you've caused enough trouble already

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Sibeiius: Andante Festivo
              Am I alone in thinking this piece mournful, second-rate and over-broadcast?

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Well, I don't think it's broadcast that often, is it? And it's a lot more cheerful than 'Valse Triste'!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I don't think it's second rate at all. Mournful not really. I think it has a joie de vivre about it.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    Sibeiius: Andante Festivo
                    Am I alone in thinking this piece mournful, second-rate and over-broadcast?
                    Apparently I'm alone....

Comment

• edashtav
                      • Jul 2012

Apparently I'm alone....
                      I’m almost with you, kernelbogey, although I’d adapt your words, thus:
                      Replace mournful with ‘solemn’;
                      change ‘second-rate’ to ‘a second-rate work, notable only for its proto-minimalist elements’;
                      preface ‘over-broadcast’ with ‘it palls if”.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Apparently I'm alone....

"Mournful", no, I don't respond in that way.
                        "Second Rate" - yes, for Sibelius. (But then his "second rate" is better than many other composers' best efforts.)
                        "Over-broadcast" - as I don't bother with R3 before noon these days, I haven't noticed this. The last time I listened to it was just under a year ago (10th Seot, 2017) and a couple of times in February before that (the composer's own recording) - having not heard the piece in years before that. If it is getting the Lark Ascending treatment, then it's further evidence that my "boycott" is a very good idea.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          I don't bother with R3 before noon these days
                          I tell a fib - I caught a fragment on the car radio a couple of days ago, when Suz ... the presenter whittered on about how "new" the Clarinet was when Weber wrote for it. (Despite Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Crusell ... ) It's as if they're allergic to facts.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

when Suz ... the presenter whittered on about how "new" the Clarinet was when Weber wrote for it.
                            I think, though, what we're trying to get over here, isn't it? is how incredibly modern these old fellows were in their day. Sara Mo … the presenter told us (26 August 2011) what an incredibly modern instrument the clarinet was when Mozart composed his concerto (1791), so that for the audience of the time, listening to the clarinet was much like listening to the electric guitar for us (or when we listened to it back in 2011):

"Thea King playing the last movement of Mozart's clarinet concerto - the electric guitar of its day." I think that kind of comparison is incredibly helpful with Mozart being the pop star of his day. But if one wants to stress how modern the sound was in its day, maybe the vuvuzela would be a possible alternative comparison?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

I tell a fib - I caught a fragment on the car radio a couple of days ago, when Suz ... the presenter whittered on about how "new" the Clarinet was when Weber wrote for it. (Despite Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Crusell ... ) It's as if they're allergic to facts.
                              Vintage clarinet, they've obviously not heard of.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Vintage clarinet, they've obviously not heard of.
                                Dunno why - there's even recordings by Carafan.

Comment

Working...
                                X