• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    So what do prizenterz do for the rest of the time? As far as I can see, it's very little.

Perhaps a brief appearance on a trailer, for a gushing moment and a chummy conversation. Otherwise...?
    In fairness, freelance presenters are paid for what they do - and what they're contracted to do. What they do for the rest of their day/month/year is up to them.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      In fairness, freelance presenters are paid for what they do - and what they're contracted to do. What they do for the rest of their day/month/year is up to them.
      Quite so. Ian Skelly, for example, has a lot of irons in the fire, according to his page on his agent's website.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

If certain contributors to this thread are to be believed, poor old Petroc presumably spends some of his time attending a clinic for people with respiratory problems.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          If certain contributors to this thread are to be believed, poor old Petroc presumably spends some of his time attending a clinic for people with respiratory problems.
          I'm sorry. I should have realised.

Comment

• peterthekeys
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            That's right she does sing it well but Judy Collins is a singer.
            Oh yes! (When I first came across her album "Bread and Roses", I noticed that the last item was "King David". And yes, it was "King David" by Howells, and although she took a few liberties with it, her rendition of it was very convincing and moving.)

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

" The music mix for your morning" - according to a promo today on the Sunday - 'music interspersed with intelligent comment' - Morning programme.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                " The music mix for your morning" -
                Instant alienation. It isn't the music mix for my morning. It's exactly what I wouldn't listen to unless it was on at the dentist, the doctors' surgery, the supermarket, the pub &c and there was no choice. I know, I know, it wouldn't be on in those places. But even if it were, I would try to block it from my consciousness. The mix is what I don't like. Curated or just thrown together to fit the time available (wash my mouth out with soap and water).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Instant alienation. It isn't the music mix for my morning. It's exactly what I wouldn't listen to unless it was on at the dentist, the doctors' surgery, the supermarket, the pub &c and there was no choice. I know, I know, it wouldn't be on in those places. But even if it were, I would try to block it from my consciousness. The mix is what I don't like. Curated or just thrown together to fit the time available (wash my mouth out with soap and water).
                  "Curated" is a term used as a substitute for "I know better than you".

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

It did occur to me that 'mash-up' might be considered by many to be a better term than 'mix'?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      - 'music interspersed with intelligent comment'
                      After, or rather during , the selection of Dowland pieces played by Nigel North, a listener found it necessary to email in to remind us of Sting's 2006 effort. Sting merely sang [sic] on that, the lute being played by Edin Karamazov. Sting certainly bought himself a load of lutes (long-necked ones, of course, as befits an old rocker, not period-appropriate Renaissance ones, there was a picture of him with them in a weekend supplement profile at the time), but his playing of them was fairly rudimentary. So not really relevant. Personally, I wouldn't have read that out without pointing this out, but Sarah presumably has to humour the audience, not educate them.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                        • Apr 2011

This whole page appears to belong on the Sunday Morning thread rather than here.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                          This whole page appears to belong on the Sunday Morning thread rather than here.
                          Hard to tell the difference.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                            • Apr 2011

Well, one is called Essential Classics, and the other is called Sunday Morning, just for starters. I could go on, but I will leave that to others better qualified (at going on).

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                              Well, not the whole page....? My #3201 was about an EC promo heard on Sunday, and some at least of the subsequent comments relate to the phrase quoted.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Hard to tell the difference.
                                Easy ff one has Skellers the other doesn’t

Comment

Working...
                                X