X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Infuriating how technology can also betray one. My phone insists on changing "your" to "you're" (and vice versa ) so even though I got it right, I have to remember to proof-read what I've written to see if Mr Jobs's minions have sabotaged it

PS having read upthread, "who's" and "whose" is another regular target for sabotage. Mind you, I do have to think hard about that one sometimes...
    These days the incorrect versions of things are so widespread that I find myself having to double check words that never used to give me moment's cause for concern - sorting out its and it's is a particular stumbling block now.
    Fortunately I only have a dumb phone and a PC, neither of which has predictive text or other 'helpful' gimmicks in operation(don't think the phone even has the facility in the first place....) which at least avoids any added level of confusion to that which I can perfectly well generate myself.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

O wonder so (Irefuse Flores it’s this) many incorrect t forms appear - exponential: auto correct uses the most common forms regardless of context) Above I wrote “I refuse to correct this.” Damn this machinette. Okay, it’s my typos too
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        In the context of the musical 'Send in the clowns' can often make a real emotional impact. In the musical A Little Night Music the character Desirée who sings 'Send in the clowns' is played usually by an actress who sings eg Judy Dench, Natasha Richardson Glynis Johns & Catherine Zeta-Jones.
        Judy Collins sings it well, albeit away from the context of the musical - knows how to deliver the song and tell the story!

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Judy Collins sings it well, albeit away from the context of the musical - knows how to deliver the song and tell the story!
          That's right she does sing it well but Judy Collins is a singer.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

That's right she does sing it well but Judy Collins is a singer.
            Yes - originally written for Glynis Johns, as you mentioned in #3178; an actress who could (just about) sing. It is expertly written for such a performer: a small range, with plenty of gaps between the phrases so that she'd have plenty of time to breathe. I both admire and like it - like so much of Sondheim.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

In the context of the musical 'Send in the clowns' can often make a real emotional impact. In the musical A Little Night Music the character Desirée who sings 'Send in the clowns' is played usually by an actress who sings eg Judy Dench, Natasha Richardson Glynis Johns & Catherine Zeta-Jones.
              That was the moment (when the clarinet started) that I quickly turned the CD of Steve Hillage and System 7 on at high volume

I was starting to like R3 in the morning until this sh*te
              each to their own I guess

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                That was the moment (when the clarinet started) that I quickly turned the CD of Steve Hillage and System 7 on at high volume

I was starting to like R3 in the morning until this sh*te
                each to their own I guess
                That's the drawback of a mixed bag approach isn't it - a greater chance of hitting a duff one? The advantage is that you know it won't last long.....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  That's the drawback of a mixed bag approach isn't it - a greater chance of hitting a duff one? The advantage is that you know it won't last long.....
                  The talking often does last a long time.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    The talking often does last a long time.
                    I was taking it as read that all the spoken content would annoy.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Skellers' breathing problems seem to have deteriorated further.

I'm worried about him.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Skellers' breathing problems seem to have deteriorated further.

I'm worried about him.
                        I think it's overwork .... Has he not reappeared a week early ..... ?????

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          I think it's overwork .... Has he not reappeared a week early ..... ?????
                          Probably hot weather and hay fever!

Is he back earl because of SK promming?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Probably hot weather and hay fever!

Is he back earl because of SK promming?
                            He is promming too though, isn't he? I think he presented the Glyndebourne prom and hosted the Proms Plus event before it.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                              He is promming too though, isn't he? I think he presented the Glyndebourne prom and hosted the Proms Plus event before it.
                              That’s it then, if you want a good job doing, ask a busy man!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

So what do prizenterz do for the rest of the time? As far as I can see, it's very little.

Perhaps a brief appearance on a trailer, for a gushing moment and a chummy conversation. Otherwise...?

Comment

Working...
                                X