X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    I don't know what Essential Classics is playing at. I switched on the radio a few minutes early in anticipation of Composer of the Week, just in time for a rendition of Bach's Brandenburg 3.

Being a modern R3 listener with a limited attention span, I was horrified that the end of the first movement wasn't followed by friendly chat and an opportunity to text/tweet/email. I had to sit through another 1.1 movements before the relief of the presenter's voice.

Please, Radio 3, don't do this to me and my fellow goldfish.
    Must have seen you coming and made a last minute decision to surprise you; it can't have been the original intention as the schedule doesn't announce 'COMPLETE' like the Neruda horn concerto.... Of what delights has your appearance deprived the goldfish I wonder?

Comment

• greenilex
      • Nov 2010

Carp have better memories than they are given credit for...je ne sais koi

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

This is extremely worrying!

Ian Skelly has sought the seriously debilitating gasping bug.

Ian was apparently immune to this serious ailment, but at the beginning of this morning's EC, his speech was stunted, uncertain, with unpredictable full stops, commas and semicolons and such pitiful gasps. I had assumed that the BBC had ordered their presenters to speak non-stop, in order to eliminate the slightest sound gap, which could result in nervous listeners switching off, but that doesn't account for Sean Rafferty and several women presenters being able to speak fluently, if rather superciliously.

I'm more than ever convinced that the air conditioning in the studio is faulty, and that some presenters are allergic to the resulting pollutants. Ian Skelly never sounded like this before, but today, he could have been a clone of Rob Cowan or Petroc Trelawney.

BBC, if you you reading this, please take note and take urgent action to ensure the health and safety of your employees. You have a duty of care.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

This is extremely worrying!

Ian Skelly has sought the seriously debilitating gasping bug.

Ian was apparently immune to this serious ailment, but at the beginning of this morning's EC, his speech was stunted, uncertain, with unpredictable full stops, commas and semicolons and such pitiful gasps. I had assumed that the BBC had ordered their presenters to speak non-stop, in order to eliminate the slightest sound gap, which could result in nervous listeners switching off, but that doesn't account for Sean Rafferty and several women presenters being able to speak fluently, if rather superciliously.

I'm more than ever convinced that the air conditioning in the studio is faulty, and that some presenters are allergic to the resulting pollutants. Ian Skelly never sounded like this before, but today, he could have been a clone of Rob Cowan or Petroc Trelawney.

BBC, if you you reading this, please take note and take urgent action to ensure the health and safety of your employees. You have a duty of care.
          Just listened to the Great Man after the Dvorak ...... I know I am late, but it is Lady Gould's birthday .... roses to pick, silver to polish etc. etc. ..... after he sounded, to me at least, as per usual - just the above average number of Ehs which seems his weakness .....

Comment

• Tevot
            • Nov 2010

Good Morning all !

First time that I've listened to Essential Classics for ages and I would contend that Ian Skelly isn't finding the gig at all comfortable. The Monteverdi / Monty Python reference was excruciating and what on earth is the time-travelling piece about Victorian cocktails all about? Isn't this meant to be a music programme?

Currently rather Puzzled !

Best Wishes,

Tevot
            Last edited by Tevot; 28-06-18, 12:16.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Your puzzle is as many of ours.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Just listened to the Great Man after the Dvorak ...... I know I am late, but it is Lady Gould's birthday .... roses to pick, silver to polish etc. etc. ..... after he sounded, to me at least, as per usual - just the above average number of Ehs which seems his weakness .....
                The Great Man? I presume you're referring to Igor Stravinsky, who's music followed the Dvorak quarter-symphony.

Happy birthday to Lady Gould though.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Igor Stravinsky, who's music
                  I'm a fan, too - but I wouldn't go quite that far!

Happy birthday to Lady Gould though.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I'm a fan, too - but I wouldn't go quite that far!

Comment

• Tevot
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Your puzzle is as many of ours.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Ever since I stopped teaching, I've made all sorts of errors (grammar, spelling[ punctuation) that I would never have thought I possibly could. In quite a few recent posts, I've muddled "principal" and "principle". I can (legitimately) blame tpyos on my poor typing skills - but this sort of thing ...
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Moving swiftly on - I was reminded yet again in passing this morning how deeply I loathe that song "Send in the clowns". Can't quite put my finger on the right word - kitsch, meretricious....

A lot of birthdays about today - Mrs T's as well

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

Moving swiftly on - I was reminded yet again in passing this morning how deeply I loathe that song "Send in the clowns". Can't quite put my finger on the right word - kitsch, meretricious....

In the context of the musical 'Send in the clowns' can often make a real emotional impact. In the musical A Little Night Music the character Desirée who sings 'Send in the clowns' is played usually by an actress who sings eg Judy Dench, Natasha Richardson Glynis Johns & Catherine Zeta-Jones.
                            Last edited by Stanfordian; 28-06-18, 16:17.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

Very Best Wishes to Mrs T and many thanks for all the kind regards to Her Ladyship.

Tevers I think he has settled very comfortably into his new role and very much enjoys the banter ..... But let's agree to disagree on this beautiful day ......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Ever since I stopped teaching, I've made all sorts of errors (grammar, spelling[ punctuation) that I would never have thought I possibly could. In quite a few recent posts, I've muddled "principal" and "principle". I can (legitimately) blame tpyos on my poor typing skills - but this sort of thing ...
                                Infuriating how technology can also betray one. My phone insists on changing "your" to "you're" (and vice versa ) so even though I got it right, I have to remember to proof-read what I've written to see if Mr Jobs's minions have sabotaged it

PS having read upthread, "who's" and "whose" is another regular target for sabotage. Mind you, I do have to think hard about that one sometimes...
                                Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 28-06-18, 15:56. Reason: Afterthought
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X