X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Rob was a regular favourite on the BBC Message board. Only when he was wooed by the darkside did RC start to receive criticism.
    ... some of us were critics way before then.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Surely EVERYONE on the Radio, TV, Introducing concerts etc etc is "acting" in some way?
      Yes - it's a bit like the "telephone voice" that some people used to adopt when telephones were less ubiquitous.

It's not so much SK's (or IS's) tone of voice that puts me off listening to EC - in fact, I find her far less "schoolmarmish" than I remember Patricia Hughes sounding in the 1970s (and hers was the voice of a schoolmarm who sounded as if she expected to find you up to no good) - it's the choice and general attitude to the Music that gets broadcast that keeps me away.

Though Ms Hughes had her fans, of course - so "schoolmarmite"?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... some of us were critics way before then.
        Quite! Indeed, it was only RC's comments and responses on the BBC Messageboards that led me to respect him; the radio work itself never did.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          in fact, I find her far less "schoolmarmish" than I remember Patricia Hughes sounding in the 1970s (and hers was the voice of a schoolmarm who sounded as if she expected to find you up to no good)
          ...and would shortly be off to umpire the hockey.
          Funnily enough I can still remember her enthusiastic presentation of a Julian Bream lunchtime concert from St John's Smith Square in May or June 1970 - I was revising for finals at the time. Bream played the Bach 4th Cello Suite, the first time I'd heard it on the guitar.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Yes - it's a bit like the "telephone voice" that some people used to adopt when telephones were less ubiquitous.

It's not so much SK's (or IS's) tone of voice that puts me off listening to EC - in fact, I find her far less "schoolmarmish" than I remember Patricia Hughes sounding in the 1970s (and hers was the voice of a schoolmarm who sounded as if she expected to find you up to no good) - it's the choice and general attitude to the Music that gets broadcast that keeps me away.

IIRC Patricia Hughes was Radio 3 duty announcer (or 'presenter' if you prefer) on the day of the memorial service commemorating the victims of the 1972 Olympics terrorist attack in Munich. I believe the piece chosen to accompany the occasion was the slow movement from the 'Eroica'. She may have given the impression that she was conducting a tutorial in her room at a distinguished university, but I don't think she lectured or hectored her listeners.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              Yes Skelly's style on this programme seems to be " I can't believe you are listening to this nonsense " so I will talk to you as if you are as dim as dim .

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                IIRC Patricia Hughes was Radio 3 duty announcer (or 'presenter' if you prefer) on the day of the memorial service commemorating the victims of the 1972 Olympics terrorist attack in Munich. I believe the piece chosen to accompany the occasion was the slow movement from the 'Eroica'. She may have given the impression that she was conducting a tutorial in her room at a distinguished university, but I don't think she lectured or hectored her listeners.
                If you mean the service held in the stadium, Eroica movement indeed, preceded by Egmont Overture....Munich Phil/Kempe, IIRC.....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  No, but she was the founder of the Gushers.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    Surely EVERYONE on the Radio, TV, Introducing concerts etc etc is "acting" in some way?

Some folks (Tony Pappano, for example) are very "close" to what they are "in the flesh"
                    but all presenting involves changing how one is to communicate to others in a way that the audience will grasp.

There really is no "natural" at all IMV
                    I think that was what I was trying to convey. A few seem to be ‘ naturals’ at presenting (Catherine Bott was/is one). But some seem to overdo whatever it is they’re doing. I don’t remember P Hughes - though surely she belonged to a different era of presenting anyway?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      If you mean the service held in the stadium, Eroica movement indeed, preceded by Egmont Overture....Munich Phil/Kempe, IIRC.....
                      That's the one - hard to believe that all happened 46 years ago.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        I don’t remember P Hughes - though surely she belonged to a different era of presenting anyway?
                        Yes - 1970s - '83. Bamber Gascoigne was one of her fans, going so far to suggest that the BBC should waive the then Corporation retirement rules to enable her to continue and describing her voice as a symbol of civilisation (or suchlike). As I say, she was the only presenter from that time whom I loathed to hear.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Yes Skelly's style on this programme seems to be " I can't believe you are listening to this nonsense " so I will talk to you as if you are as dim as dim .
                          I wouldn't agree - he does not come over that way to me at all, which I guess, proves I am " ... as dim as dim ... " ..... He certainly doesn't talk as if his sole audience are the, very knowledgeable, people hereabouts.
                          I would suppose the snippets of background information he introduces pieces with have you all shouting " Oh come on .... " but are you are not, I would suggest, a typical audience.
                          To me he thrives on the interaction with the audience, which given where we are in the evolution of social media, is IMMVHO, unlikely to go away and uses it to add insight on the music being played.
                          It was interesting that when the "What would you follow this with ... " feature started it was universally hailed as a fix ..... the obvious piece would always be played. Is that still the view ... ??? or has bbm by his sterling efforts brought a change of mind ... ????
                          OK I know you couldn't care less .....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            I wouldn't agree - he does not come over that way to me at all, which I guess, proves I am " ... as dim as dim ... " ..... He certainly doesn't talk as if his sole audience are the, very knowledgeable, people hereabouts.
                            That's where the like of Antony Hopkins were so successful. They could speak to those with limited musical knowledge or experience, but they could also speak to those with greater knowledge and experience.

The R3 morning team seem only to address the preliminary grade listeners, with the result that they never develop.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              That's where the like of Antony Hopkins were so successful. They could speak to those with limited musical knowledge or experience, but they could also speak to those with greater knowledge and experience.

The R3 morning team seem only to address the preliminary grade listeners, with the result that they never develop.
                              Well I, obviously talking from the feeble side of the spectrum, feel Skellers has the same ability, although to what extent, can be debated. He often goes in technical areas and IIRC has won praise from Tony on this thread. I also like that he seems quite happy to disagree with tweeters on the merits of a piece or performance and explain why ......

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Well I, obviously talking from the feeble side of the spectrum, feel Skellers has the same ability, although to what extent, can be debated. He often goes in technical areas and IIRC has won praise from Tony on this thread. I also like that he seems quite happy to disagree with tweeters on the merits of a piece or performance and explain why ......
                                Interesting observations AG, very fairly presented. If his responses to tweets help to illuminate the music, then they perform a worthwhile function.

Personally , I miss Rob Cowan , and his specific expertise, as well as his genial somewhat “man of the people” ( well as it goes in this kind of music) style.

( I’m sure that your part of the spectrum , as you call it, is a fine place to be......)
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X