X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I’m very sorry to tell you this but I had a mention yesterday, for their ‘slow mo’ part. It had two great pieces on it, the Nocturne by Holst and Cortége by Howells. At least they’re great pieces of music!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      I’m very sorry to tell you this but I had a mention yesterday, for their ‘slow mo’ part. It had two great pieces on it, the Nocturne by Holst and Cortége by Howells. At least they’re great pieces of music!
      Cortège, Bbm. Words with an "e", followed by a consonant followed by another "e", always carry a grave accent, if my French memory serves me right!

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Cortège, Bbm. Words with an "e", followed by a consonant followed by another "e", always carry a grave accent, if my French memory serves me right!
        ... cortège is certainly the usual modern spelling : tho' I see that the great Dictionary of Littré [1873-1877] uses cortége throughout.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... cortège is certainly the usual modern spelling : tho' I see that the great Dictionary of Littré [1873-1877] uses cortége throughout.

The man to ask: who nicknamed Scarlatti K380 Le Cortège, and when?

The first recorded version I owned was this one (starts 7.02) , closely followed by George Malcolm on an LP I no longer have. Several current versions...

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            ...who nicknamed Scarlatti K380 Le Cortège, and when?
            ... do you know? - I haven't a clue. Malcolm Boyd and W Dean Sutcliffe are silent; Kirkpatrick merely refers to the 'old nickname' for K380 without further details...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

No! I thought you might. The name smacks of a funeral march, whereas it's more of a courtly dance (if anything). A fave, anyway

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... . Malcolm Boyd and W Dean Sutcliffe are silent; Kirkpatrick merely refers to the 'old nickname' for K380 without further details...

... I must correct myself : Boyd and Kirkpatrick are silent; W Dean Sutcliffe has -

"In K380 ... there cannot be too much doubt about the topical reference to fanfares, and to the trumpets and drums that perform them. These could be imagined playing in quite a formal environment, but it has been just as common to hear a processional of humbler cast. (See for example Lionel Salter, notes to recording by Wanda Landowska (EMI 7 64934 2, 1949) [notes 1993]) 7, and Mellers, Orpheus, 86). In a suggestion of more upmarket pedigree, the sonata was also used in a BBC documentary of 1985 to accompany images representing the journey to Seville after the royal marriage of Maria Bárbara in 1729. (Thompson, 'Scarlatti'. Ann Bond writes too that K380 'brilliantly evokes the sound of tympani and trumpets of an eighteenth-century court'; Bond, Harpsichord, 181. Rafael Puyana, who plays K380 for the BBC programme, suggests elsewhere that it has the rhythm of a Majorcan bolero! Puyana, 'Influencias', 54). K380 must in fact be the most played and recorded of all the sonatas. Its popularity (leading to the old nickname 'Cortege', which reinforces the more formal imagery) has certainly helped to cement the pictorialist reception of Scarlatti - the panorama tradition described earlier ... "

Last edited by vinteuil; 12-06-18, 16:39.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Fascinating! Thank you, one to keep

W Dean Sutcliffe - 1 hardback new on Amazon for £2, 401

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

W Dean Sutcliffe - 1 hardback new on Amazon for £2, 401
                    ... a little cheaper here :

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Alan Rawsthorne goes for the grave accent in his Cortèges Overture.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I’m very sorry to tell you this but I had a mention yesterday, for their ‘slow mo’ part.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

No need to be sorry bbm - a wonderful slow moment IMVVHO ..... EA, I suspect is jealous that you, obviously, have a thing going with Suzy .......

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            No need to be sorry bbm - a wonderful slow moment IMVVHO ..... EA, I suspect is jealous that you, obviously, have a thing going with Suzy .......

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              Now that would be telling!!!!

I do have a few of my band requests played by her though!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Now that would be telling!!!!

I do have a few of my band requests played by her though!
                                Tuned into it this morning whilst working on prep for painting garden table and chairs for Hammeriting - pleasant enough music, albeit chunks, but swiftly changed to Radio Cornwall when the time travel thing came on - quite what is the role of this spot?

Comment

Working...
                                X