X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Eighteen pieces in 180 minutes today, that's - um - 10 minutes(?) average, minus 2 or 3 minutes for the chat. Too exhausting, even though the individual works were better than usual (though the Defunct Infant isn't the most imaginative choice). Short of signing in to Andrew's Workaround (and I'd have to look for the link) I'm not sure how long any of the pieces were.

[That said, he played the whole of the Mzt Oboe 4tet K370 (apparently) - though that is under 20 mins long
    Found Andrew's wonderful thing .... But it seems you have to wait overnight for it to work ...... Usual length of works 7/8 minutes but 4 over 10 minutes, nothing over 20.

Other complete works - to my untutored eye - were Saint Saens Septet Op. 65, Schubert SQ No.15 and LVB 32 variations in C Minor.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      Found Andrew's wonderful thing .... But it seems you have to wait overnight for it to work ...... Usual length of works 7/8 minutes but 4 over 10 minutes, nothing over 20.

Other complete works - to my untutored eye - were Saint Saens Septet Op. 65, Schubert SQ No.15 and LVB 32 variations in C Minor.
      The difference is between 'complete' works (the majority are) and 'full-length' works - certainly in excess of 30 minutes. In the past, a work like Dvořák's cello concerto (40 mins+) found a place - announced in advance at a particular time to allow people to tune in specially (I though just one work was a bit miserly. A three-hour programme could surely find time for two or three, rather than NONE).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        I suppose we should be grateful that he played the whole of the movement.....
        Hiya LMcD,

You're not wrong. On R3 we have become thankful for small mercies.

I heard CFM play just a portion of the ubiquitous Adagietto from Mahler 5 the other day. One of the stations favourite works too. The four pieces that I'm aware of most on CFM are:

Farewell to Stromness - Peter Maxwell Davies
        The Armed Man - Jenkins
        Adagietto from Mahler 5
        The Lark Ascending - Vivaldi

For me only the later stands up to repeated hearings on this scale.
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 05-06-18, 13:30.

Comment

• Rolmill
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          Hiya LMcD,

You're not wrong. On R3 we have become thankful for small mercies.

I heard CFM play just a portion of the ubiquitous Adagietto from Mahler 5 the other day. One of the stations favourite works too. The four pieces that I'm aware of most on CFM are:

Farewell to Stromness - Peter Maxwell Davies
          The Armed Man - Jenkins
          Adagietto from Mahler 5

For me only the later stands up to repeated hearings on this scale.
          Good to see CFM broadening its range with previously undiscovered gems

Playing a 'bleeding chunk' from the Mahler is taking the Michael, though - let's hope R3 doesn't spot this!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

"Le vierge, le Vivaldi, et le bel aujourd'hui"

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

The difference is between 'complete' works (the majority are) and 'full-length' works - certainly in excess of 30 minutes. In the past, a work like Dvořák's cello concerto (40 mins+) found a place - announced in advance at a particular time to allow people to tune in specially (I though just one work was a bit miserly. A three-hour programme could surely find time for two or three, rather than NONE).
              Is this your wish and/or the way it was ..... ???? I have played about a little on Google and found some CD Masters playlists from February/March 2007 ...... a bit of a thankless task as not many will open - but of the 5 I could, each day there were 8 pieces in 2 hours. As you say there was always a piece over 30 minutes (31,48,31,33,33) - taking out the Big Yin that leaves 7 pieces at 12 minutes a pop on (the dreaded) average .......

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Is this your wish and/or the way it was ..... ???? I have played about a little on Google and found some CD Masters playlists from February/March 2007 ...... a bit of a thankless task as not many will open - but of the 5 I could, each day there were 8 pieces in 2 hours. As you say there was always a piece over 30 minutes (31,48,31,33,33) - taking out the Big Yin that leaves 7 pieces at 12 minutes a pop on (the dreaded) average .......
                ....... and no Rhaposody in Blue ..... !!!!!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                  Good to see CFM broadening its range with previously undiscovered gems

Playing a 'bleeding chunk' from the Mahler is taking the Michael, though - let's hope R3 doesn't spot this!
                  Good joke, eh!! My mate and I are having a good laugh seeing who would be first to point it out!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Is this your wish and/or the way it was ..... ????
                    I was thinking about how Essential Classics was when it began. CD Masters and Classical Collection were never 3 hours long.

A regular feature of Essential Classics was the "full length" piece, published in Radio Times each day. I know this because a friend who had Radio Times checked every day to see whether it was something he wanted to hear and switched on specially for it. He couldn't stand the 'bitty' works on Breakfast or the guests, brianteasers &c on EC.

Here, for instance, was Dvořák Cello Concerto which - I've just checked on Andrew's system** - was the entire work. As I said, I thought it was a bit miserly to have only one full-length work in 3 hours. But that was better than none. (But it's 'my wish', if you like to put it like that, that Radio 3 ought to break in its 'new listeners' by expecting them to listen to a concert-length work).

** 12 01:49 Franz Liszt
                    Rhapsodie espagnole, S254
                    Performer: Georges Cziffra

13 02:02 Antonín Dvořák
                    Cello Concerto in B minor, Op.104
                    Performer: Alisa Weilerstein
                    Orchestra: Czech Philharmonic
                    Conductor: Jiří Bělohlávek

14 02:42 César Franck
                    Fantaisie in C
                    Performer: André Isoir
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                      • Mar 2007

I was thinking about how Essential Classics was when it began. CD Masters and Classical Collection were never 3 hours long.

Here, for instance, was Dvořák Cello Concerto which - I've just checked on Andrew's system** - was the entire work.
                      Playlist also available here without a password:

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

"Le vierge, le Vivaldi, et le bel aujourd'hui"

You're in good company (I think). The BBC's Arts Editor Will Gompertz, when asked on 'Pointless' to name an Italian composer beginning with V, famous for the Four Seasons, came up with - yup - our old friend Joe Green.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          You're in good company (I think). The BBC's Arts Editor Will Gompertz, when asked on 'Pointless' to name an Italian composer beginning with V, famous for the Four Seasons, came up with - yup - our old friend Joe Green.
                          Anyone who models his hair and spectacles on Michael Foot has got to be suspect!

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

I've always thought that the excellent David Sillito would do WG's job much better (and possibly cost licence-payers a fair bit less?)

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

I caught a bit of this programme this morning as I turned the Radio on and it was still on R3 rather than R4 and it seemed to me as if Ian Skelly was taking the Mickey out of the playlist nonsense.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                I caught a bit of this programme this morning as I turned the Radio on and it was still on R3 rather than R4 and it seemed to me as if Ian Skelly was taking the Mickey out of the playlist nonsense.
                                He takes the Mikey out of everything but does occasionally seem to appreciate some of the playlist suggestions and saves them for later programmes ......

Comment

Working...
                                X